Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,327 times

Advertisements

We live in the rental house for 1year and 3month. Today my son opened one of the shelves and it is literally fall on him. He got a scratch and a bump on the head. As i found out it was hang on two small screws. The question is: Should I call state health department so inspector come and check the rest of the house? And, how do i found out that the property was inspected when we move in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 08:53 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Did you call the property manager/owner?

Old 03-23-2015, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,327 times
Yes I let them know about it.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:11 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
There is no heath inspection that is going to find this type of thing. Also there was no inspection before you moved in other than your own. Telling the owner or property manager is all you can do. I would also carefully check all of the other cabinets to make sure they are properly secured. Chances are if one was improperly hung, the others were too.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:11 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Unlikely for a shelf to fall from the door simply being opened, even if poorly constructed. How old is he? Was he climbing or reaching up and grabbing it?

When I was a young kid, if I had pulled down a shelf, I probably would have said, "It just fell down!"

Old 03-23-2015, 03:43 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
What has this country come to when a shelf falling down on a rental is worthy of a call to any authority? This is why I'll never be a landlord.

Stuff happens and breaks. I'm sorry your son was injured but it sounds minor. Fix the shelf with bigger screws, put some ice on the bump and move on.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:52 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkori View Post
We live in the rental house for 1year and 3month. Today my son opened one of the shelves and it is literally fall on him. He got a scratch and a bump on the head. As i found out it was hang on two small screws. The question is: Should I call state health department so inspector come and check the rest of the house? And, how do i found out that the property was inspected when we move in?
If the shelf itself was sitting on 2 small screws then that shelf would have to literally be pulled off of those screws. It would not fall just by opening the door.
Many shelves in cabinets, entertainment centers, book cases and numerous other pieces of furniture have those screws which are a wee bit more than just a screw and the shelf is placed on those. The shelf also fits somewhat snug between the sides and the shelf does not arbitrarily slide around.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:57 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
What has this country come to when a shelf falling down on a rental is worthy of a call to any authority? This is why I'll never be a landlord.

Stuff happens and breaks. I'm sorry your son was injured but it sounds minor. Fix the shelf with bigger screws, put some ice on the bump and move on.
<total sarcasm)
But they're entitled to so much more if they just call their lawyer!
As someone who just got done evicting the only tenant I've ever had, I have stories that would make you cringe.

They broke the lid to the toilet, and said it was my responsibility to replace it...
When the finally DID move out - they removed an 8 foot section of shelving in the walk in closet and took it with them... they said they forgot it was ours...

The deposit they put down was one month's rent... To get the house anywhere CLOSE to what it was like when they first rented it will cost us close to 8 grand... guess who's suing his ex-tenants?

I hope I get Judge Judy...

Old 03-23-2015, 04:29 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
To put it in perspective, after we had some electrical work done one of the shelves in our kitchen cabinets collapsed. The vibration from the assistant sawing into a nearby wall caused some of the shelves to shift off their hangers. Sometimes this stuff just happens and it's nobody's fault.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:34 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
To put it in perspective, after we had some electrical work done one of the shelves in our kitchen cabinets collapsed. The vibration from the assistant sawing into a nearby wall caused some of the shelves to shift off their hangers. Sometimes this stuff just happens and it's nobody's fault.

Your example is not even close to what the original poster states.
Your example happened "because" of work in another room, granted one would never think to check shelves after the work was completed.
I would not have checked because I would have never thought they shelves would be affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area