U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:01 PM

975 posts, read 927,677 times

Advertisements

What would you guys change about the whole seattle area to make it more innovative, funer, and more prosperous? For example I would give the freeways and roads much needed improvements and since in my vision I want a bigger Seattle area so I'm going to add A few freeways from Olympia, yelm, north bend, Arlington and make them all connected. Vashon the mainland and bremerton are going to get connected by a bridge or tunnel and bremerton is going to get a tecnology, smart growth, green college and be a little bit bigger than bellevue. Everett is going to get a few skyscrapers and be more like a real city. Seattle skyline is completely changed with new cool skyscrapers and has a whole bunch of new museums and dowtown has a lot more attractions. Since this whole area has became more innovative there is a few huge companies that come here or have been made here. It will feel way more urban. And you can get everywhere on lightrail/ bullet trains quickly and easily. What would you guys like?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,220,338 times
More affordable housing - While not as bad as some areas, Seattle housing costs (both renting and owning) are out of reach for most who aren't professionals. We need more rentals less than $1K/month.

More evenly distributed annual precipitation - The annual precipitation isn't actually much higher than average, but most of it occurs Nov-April. It would be nice if we had sporadic precipitation throughout the year.

More comprehensive rail system - Our transportation issues wouldn't be nearly so bad had we planned for growth and started to build rail 30 years ago.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:34 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,678,987 times
Do something about the exploding homeless population.

Get rid of the rain lol.

I agree about affordable housing.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:27 PM

590 posts, read 665,313 times
seeing how seattle is in king county as are all the other largest cities in the state, I would impose a population control tactic and require ANYONE trying to move to king county to submit a request to move into the county. Basically ask for permission to live in King county. population not to exceed 1 million. King county is MASSIVELY over populated. I think this would have a domino effect on everything else. less population equals less traffic, less population equals a more fair housing situation, less population equals less homeless people-reduced strain on taxpayers dollars etc....

Old 03-25-2015, 06:46 PM

415 posts, read 459,806 times
I would cure all the homeless of whatever ails them; give them a generous dose of talent, charm and grooming and unleash them on the city.

I'd also import some more young single women, a la Asa Mercer, to even up the sorry demographics that make the dating scene here so unsatisfactory.

As far as the traffic? Hoverboards or teleportation... Nothing else has a chance with the densely packed wonky topography.

On the climate? I would change nothing. I don't mind things cool and green as they already are.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:58 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,109,136 times
I'm not Zeus; I can't change the weather.

But if given human power, I would impose local income tax, and raise property tax for the top wealthy.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,722 posts, read 72,709,165 times
I agree on doing something about the homeless, that has to be #1.

I also love the weather as it is, my #2 change is filling the potholes.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:15 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,961,448 times
Do they require Drivers Ed in high school here? They can't possibly. So that's what I would change.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:52 AM

5,127 posts, read 8,171,482 times
MORE FREEWAYS! And a bridge to Vashon Island that continues to just outside port orchard.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:26 AM

9,638 posts, read 26,268,232 times
I would demolish half of all newer buildings ten stories or higher built since 1980, and replace them with organic broccoli farms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area