Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:21 PM

13 posts, read 17,388 times

Advertisements

Good Morning all! I'm getting out of the military in a couple months and doing research on the employment situation in Seattle. What sectors are hot right now? What companies are hiring at this time? I realize unemployment is at about 9%, but I feel my skills and abilities would add value to any employer willing to hire me or maybe I think too highly of myself.
My employment background is very diverse including experience in: Electronics, IT Security, Networking, Process Redesign/ Change Management, Project and Operations Oversight, Policy and Procedure Development, Strategic Planning, Operations Management, and Technical Training Program Development.
I also possess a Bachelors Degree along with extensive management and leadership training.
Any and all leads or advice would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
J.B.

Last edited by jlbowman; 02-17-2011 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Included some self-depreciating humor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbowman View Post
Good Morning all! I'm getting out of the military in a couple months and doing research on the employment situation in Seattle. What sectors are hot right now? What companies are hiring at this time? I realize unemployment is at about 9%, but I feel my skills and abilities would add value to any employer willing to hire me or maybe I think too highly of myself.
My employment background is very diverse including experience in: Electronics, IT Security, Networking, Process Redesign/ Change Management, Project and Operations Oversight, Policy and Procedure Development, Strategic Planning, Operations Management, and Technical Training Program Development.
I also possess a Bachelors Degree along with extensive management and leadership training.
Cheers
J.B.
I retired in 2006, I had several govt job offers that I could choose from and I had an offer from a railroad (they love retired military). I choose the railroad, I worked for them for a year and then went to Nursing school and now work for the VA. I'd seriously look at a govt job, if I had it to do over again, I would have taken the govt job out of the gate or return to school and get a masters degree with the GI bill. USAJOBS.gov is the place to go for Govt jobs, literally hundreds of jobs available in the Puget Sound region, lots of military bases, etc.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:43 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,523 times
Create several versions of your resume, emphasizing your skills in the various industries in which you are applying.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:14 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbowman View Post
Cheers
J.B.
You need to pick a specialization and drill down your knowledge/skillset in it. The only ones I can comment on are IT Security and networking, both of which are in real short supply up here. If you've got the relevant certifications and skills in those fields, you will have no trouble finding work.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
It sounds like you have a smorgasbord of skills and I agree with Xanathos that you have to drill down into something. If you have a lot of experience in something, that's a plus.

Sounds like you would prefer a technical management position or something like that? Boeing loves ex-military folks, especially if you have the technical background (and electronics engineers are needed). Large-scale integration and project management skills are needed as well. And let me tell you, if you can apply the military rigor to management, Boeing will appreciate that as they're trying to move away from the "bull**** and sugar coat stuff and maybe it will work out" model of the 787 and more like the "here's the problems, here's our path, here's what we want to do, what do you think, and how can you help" sort of model that they're (now) employing on the 747-8. So basically if you don't see engineers and the valuable experience and knowledge they have as castaway commodities and popcorn, I think you will be welcomed.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 PM

84 posts, read 180,732 times
One mistake I see ex military make repeadedly is not writing thier resume for the civilian world. And trying to be everything to everyone on thier resume. Use civilian titles when applicable and focus the resume on a career track E.g. Project Management.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:44 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,902 times
The healthcare industry seems to be doing the most hiring.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:54 PM

13 posts, read 17,388 times
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning more towards the management side of the house, just a preference thing.
Xanathos - I did the IT thing for a little while in the military but I wasn't really my bag although I did get some nifty training along the way
, but the skills are always great to have especially when the IT tech support guys I currently work with try to weasel out of trouble tickets.
Eskercurve- Boeing sounds like an option, I'll check them out.
Any more ideas on where to look, Worksource, Craigslist and Indeed are my only sources of info and I'm open to suggestions.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:43 PM

282 posts, read 806,696 times
Those online tools are great, but don't forget about the human element. I say it all the time, but "network, network, network." Start with who you know and find out who they know, and who those people know. Be aggressive, ask them to setup introductions and build bridges.

From there, start building cold contacts. If there are local meetup groups for your focus area, go to those. Check out local events, guest speakers, conventions, etc. and meet people.

90% of the jobs I've had in my life came from networking, not the internet. Don't forsake it, of course, but don't do what so many do and ONLY try in the online space.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:37 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
Agree with Capo. I got an internship at Boeing, I think (though he will never admit it), to knowing two Boeing folks in college. One was my aerodynamics TA, and the other was a program manager who graduated from my college. The manager came, talked about his career, and said to keep studying, basically. I asked him some questions after the lecture, as he was walking away, and he stopped me at some point and gave me his card. Of course when I said "could you recommend me" to a job, he said no, everyone has to apply to be an intern, but he did say I could use him as a reference.

... didn't hurt that I applied to all 140 intern positions at Boeing either ...

Network, network, network. Of course though if you don't know anyone here, you have to start at ground level.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area