Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 AM

215 posts, read 876,088 times

Advertisements

OK so MS is going to make me an offer. The job will be located at the millennium campus in Redmond.

The area has me concerned because I am not sure that my expectations can be met. That's where I'm hoping some of you might be able to provide some help.

First up: I am not a commuter; already been there, done that. I refuse to commute more than 30 minutes (one way) to my job. So please understand I can't look further than a 30 minute drive from work.

Second: I have a family and would need a 4 br house. Note I said house and NOT condo/apartment/townhome. Something with a yard please? And now for the catch: new construction is preferred.

Third and finally: I would like to be in a good neighborhood where there are some young families. The type where my kids can play with the neighbors, so on and so forth. Trying to avoid the areas where no one is home during the day for my kids to interact with.

So, all that said: does this even exist the Redmond area? And if so, what would I be looking to pay for a house that meets this critera?

Thanks ahead of time for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,021,247 times
My thinking is that you can probably find a house in Redmond somewhere starting in the mid to high-500's with 4 bedrooms but it's in all likelihood not going to be new construction.

Redmond Ridge out in the Novelty Hill area is a huge development of new construction but with the way traffic is increasing on both Novelty Hill Road and Avondale, I'm sure the commute times during the rush hour will be over 30 minutes.

I haven't looked at what's available in Redmond recently but I'll take a quick look when I get the chance.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,808,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Waffle View Post
does this even exist the Redmond area? And if so, what would I be looking to pay for a house that meets this critera?
No. Around half a million dollars+ for an older home. Basically what sirocco22 said, actually.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:21 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,113,223 times
Did I miss what your price range is?

Since you are in the Millenium buildings you will be moving to main campus in 12 months. I used to work in those buildings, (I probably know your boss :-) ). The new buildings they are building are nice. Based on my commute to your current buildings I would say that you can be in Redmond Ridge, Education Hill, English Hill, Brooktrails, or East Woodinville. There are ways of getting around the bad parts of Avondale that will save you time. If you ride your bike, the commute isn't bad as well. MS will even bribe you to ride your bike.

I would expect that you will end up paying 600+ for the house you are describing though.

When they move add some time to the commute but it is hard to calculate since they are also doing a bunch on road construction in conjunction with the new building on campus.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:42 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,021,247 times
I don't think waffle did state a price range, woodinvilleguy.

And sorry, it didn't register that you'd be working at the Millenium buildings. I was thinking about the main campus. So is Millenium being done away with, woodinvilleguy?

I just took a quick look at the MLS and you can definitely find an older house in the price range I described above within various parts of Redmond. In fact, I see a 30-year old, 5 bedroom split-level listed at $520k about two miles from the main campus.

And yes, the commute from Redmond Ridge and those other areas that woodinvilleguy mentioned, shouldn't be that bad a commute to Millenium.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:01 PM

Price range is open. I just want an understanding if I can get the house I want, within the commute time, in the kind of neighborhood I'm looking for.

I didn't realize I'd be moving out of Millenium...doesn't this make the commute worse from these areas? Would it still be within 30 minutes on an average day during rush hour?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,077,629 times
Quote:
I just want an understanding if I can get the house I want, within the commute time, in the kind of neighborhood I'm looking for.

I didn't realize I'd be moving out of Millenium...doesn't this make the commute worse from these areas? Would it still be within 30 minutes on an average day during rush hour?
"Get the house I want" etc.: Yes.
"Worse"? No.
"Within 30 minutes ... average"? Yes.

Also, no one's mentioned yet that MS runs a fleet of larger, comfy busses to shuttle their folks to and fro. It's part of their efforts to care for the environment. The busses have WiFi, of course. So check with your relocation advisor -- you might not need to drive your commute.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:54 PM

allforcats...I was not aware of this...this can't possibly be door to door shuttle service from home to MS, can it?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:17 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,077,629 times
Quote:
allforcats...I was not aware of this...this can't possibly be door to door shuttle service from home to MS, can it?
As I'm not connected with Microsoft I don't know, but you'd be amazed at the extent to which MS pampers its employees I don't know the details, and perhaps someone else can come on this thread to explain. But if I were you, I would ask the MS recruiter, or HR person, with whom you are in contact, that you heard about these shuttle busses and could she/he tell you what they're about.

In any event, you will definitely be able to find a large enough house approximately halfway between Millenium and the main campus, which should take care of: detached house, 4BR, commuting time. Only one item left: new construction. Around here, we think of "new" as anything under about 15 to 18 years; and anyway, new construction can be found only where it's happening, not everywhere by any means. You might get to relax one of your wishes, which could then get you all your other wishes

Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,113,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I don't think waffle did state a price range, woodinvilleguy.

And sorry, it didn't register that you'd be working at the Millenium buildings. I was thinking about the main campus. So is Millenium being done away with, woodinvilleguy?

I just took a quick look at the MLS and you can definitely find an older house in the price range I described above within various parts of Redmond. In fact, I see a 30-year old, 5 bedroom split-level listed at $520k about two miles from the main campus.

And yes, the commute from Redmond Ridge and those other areas that woodinvilleguy mentioned, shouldn't be that bad a commute to Millenium.
Yeah they are building a bunch of new buildings just west of 520 at the 40th st exit. I'm not sure how long it will take to build those buildings. I'm also not sure what they are doing to update 520 to ease the new traffic. I know they have some sort of plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area