Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I think this is really variable. The first house we rented here, the landlord wanted to raise the rent $250 after the first year. We talked them down to $150. The next year we left. They tried to raise the rent AGAIN another $250. When they had no takers, they lowered it another $100. They found some sap to pay their massively inflated rent. I guess the landlord thought they were renting the Taj Mahal
Absolutely it's variable, and there are landlords who don't seem to value the stability of having the same tenants, and continuously raise rents. They aren't the majority, but they certainly and unfortunately do exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 11:46 AM

56 posts, read 75,112 times
Thank you all so much for the insight. I wish there were a better way to find rentals than just the internet. When you want to buy a house, you benefit from the knowledge of a real estate professional, who can point you in the right direction. Sometimes renting just seems like a crapshoot. I guess that's how we ended up in our current neighborhood, which we hate. Nice house, top-rated school, but completely the wrong fit for us.
Thank goodness for this board - it's already helped us out tremendously!

Old 04-02-2015, 12:34 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anneeliot View Post
Sometimes renting just seems like a crapshoot. I guess that's how we ended up in our current neighborhood, which we hate. Nice house, top-rated school, but completely the wrong fit for us.
Well, you're not providing very many details. What do you hate about your current neighborhood? What would be more of a right fit? I'm inferring that the job offer is on the Eastside, but where can make a difference in where you might want to consider living.

Realize that the San Jose and Seattle areas are very different.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM

56 posts, read 75,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Well, you're not providing very many details. What do you hate about your current neighborhood? What would be more of a right fit? I'm inferring that the job offer is on the Eastside, but where can make a difference in where you might want to consider living.

Realize that the San Jose and Seattle areas are very different.
Our current neighborhood is basically dead - none of the neighbors is ever outside, and children don't play. The area is an enclave of mostly tech workers, and the emphasis is very much on work and school. We feel like the odd family out, and the kids and I definitely get stared at for being ethnic minorities in the neighborhood, but never actually spoken to. We also thought we might like a newer home, but have found that planned developments aren't the best fit for us - I don't enjoy having to keep the blinds closed so that the neighbors don't look straight in.

For our new neighborhood, we would like something a little more diverse (or less tech-worker heavy), with a school that preferably doesn't put STEM subjects ahead of everything else. Also, a larger and/or more private lot, where sitting in the backyard isn't like sitting on a stage. Older houses are fine.

As for the area: my husband is in management consulting, so we don't generally pick a house based on proximity to work, since work location varies too much. He is currently working in Bellevue (part of the reason we're moving up to Washington), but that could change in the future. Decent access to the airport is a pro (he may have to work out of state again). Possible future clients in the area are mostly based in Bellevue, Redmond and Seattle (big tech and telecommunications).

Our highest priority is a safe, friendly neighborhood with plenty of greenery/trees near a town/center with some activities for families/kids and a well-rounded school. Areas with more single-income families (I stay home with our two kids) might also be nice, so that people are around during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area