Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:51 AM

56 posts, read 75,092 times

Advertisements

We just received the official go-ahead for our relocation, and will be coming out for a weekend soon to go house hunting.

We are currently renting in San Jose, CA, one of the more competitive rental markets in the country. How is the competition for SFH rentals on the Eastside? We're zeroing in on Woodinville, Sammamish, Duvall, possibly Snoqualmie. Would we need to go above and beyond to prove we are good tenants? Do people offer to pay more than the rent advertised (this happens regularly around here)? How should we go about introducing the fact that we also have a (housetrained) pet bunny?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I would love to hear from anyone living in Duvall, Carnation, Woodinville or Snoqualmie. There's lots of info here on the board about most other Eastside communities, but I rarely read anything about these. Pros/cons (besides the long commute to Bellevue/Seattle)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:02 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Closer in, more competitive of course. Carnation, Duvall and Snoqualmie are a bit out there, depending on where your work is. Carnation and Duvall can be rural, although Duvall has cute little shops. Snoqualmie is easily accessible to I-90 and has some character, more affordable. Woodinville, Kenmore, Juanita and Bothell would be great choices, nicely accessible to Bellevue or Seattle. You mention Seattle so I imagine that may be important to you. You could offer to pay a bit more, just be decisive when you find something you want. Don't underestimate the power of a personal letter. It will seem affordable compared to San Jose. Welcome (almost) to town.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:16 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
SFH rentals go pretty quickly on the Eastside, mostly because there aren't a ton of them. I happen to know the inventory of rentals in the Woodinville/Bothell/Duvall area right now is very, very limited because I'm trying to find one for a client right now. Get an agent to help you, but also check the listings on Zillow and act fast to arrange your appointments directly with contacts on there.

Most SFH rentals do not allow pets, and those that do typically allow cats but often not dogs. I have no idea about bunnies, so you'd want to ask about that. But I'm guessing it will impact your options greatly.

Woodinville, Duvall, Carnation and Snoqualmie are charming communities that are slower paced than the rest of the Eastside. Snoqualmie Ridge has the newest housing out of the lot, because it's basically a planned community that has popped up in the last 10 years. Houses there are close together and generally on small lots, whereas in the other communities you'll find a wide variety of housing stock in everything from traditional neighborhoods to 1 acre lots to semi-rural to really rural.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:28 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
I live in Woodinville. Rentals go quickly here. Sometimes there are multiple applications, and the landlord picks who they want. We found our current rental through Craigslist, so don't be afraid to look there as well. The house we live in used to be the landlord's, he moved to Redmond to a much bigger house and keeps this one as a rental.

We really like Woodinville, if that helps

Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anneeliot View Post
Also, I would love to hear from anyone living in Duvall, Carnation, Woodinville or Snoqualmie. There's lots of info here on the board about most other Eastside communities, but I rarely read anything about these. Pros/cons (besides the long commute to Bellevue/Seattle)?
Just not a lot of rentals in those areas. You'll find more rentals in Kenmore, Bothell, Issaquah, Kirkland, Redmond, Bellevue, etc.

I'm not sure that offering more than the listed rent wouldn't be interpreted negatively up here. Might be better to just stick to saying you can pay upfront first and last rents, and security/damage/pet deposits.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:56 PM

56 posts, read 75,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I'm not sure that offering more than the listed rent wouldn't be interpreted negatively up here. Might be better to just stick to saying you can pay upfront first and last rents, and security/damage/pet deposits.
That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for! Here in Silicon Valley, offering more than asking is fairly common, especially in desirable areas. I hate the practice, and we've been lucky enough to avoid doing it. I don't like bidding wars for rentals, especially when the rentals are appallingly expensive anyway...

Also, is it common for people to rent the same property for several years? We would initially be looking for a 12 month lease, but would really like not having to move out again if at all possible, especially since we have one child in school. Do landlords usually increase the rent at the end of the lease? Are there any regulations about how much the increase can be?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
It is not common here to pay more than the listed rent. Most landlords would prefer that you stay several years. They do typically raise the rent when the lease expires, but it's not usually an outrageous amount, unless the initial rent was an insane deal. There are no regulations about how much the rent can be increased, but renting a place out, from the landlord's perspective, is a hassle. So typically landlords raise rent 3-5% per year, but more if the initial rent is less than market rent.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:18 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
And if not tied to where you're looking due to work location, there are other options that also have good schools, and rentals.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:00 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It is not common here to pay more than the listed rent. Most landlords would prefer that you stay several years. They do typically raise the rent when the lease expires, but it's not usually an outrageous amount, unless the initial rent was an insane deal. There are no regulations about how much the rent can be increased, but renting a place out, from the landlord's perspective, is a hassle. So typically landlords raise rent 3-5% per year, but more if the initial rent is less than market rent.
I think this is really variable. The first house we rented here, the landlord wanted to raise the rent $250 after the first year. We talked them down to $150. The next year we left. They tried to raise the rent AGAIN another $250. When they had no takers, they lowered it another $100. They found some sap to pay their massively inflated rent. I guess the landlord thought they were renting the Taj Mahal

Old 04-02-2015, 09:34 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
We live in the Cottage Lake area of Woodinville, which is halfway between Woodinville town center and Duvall. It's a little ways out here, but there was a huge hidden benefit for us that we didn't think about when we moved. We live close to Avondale, so a commute to Seattle and/or Bellevue skips a crapload of 405 traffic as compared to living in Woddinville town center or Bothell.

Just something to think about. I'd put avoiding 405 at the top of your list of priorities if you don't want to spend all morning/evening in traffic. It's going to get worse with the new tolling.

We have a couple SFH rentals in our neighborhood, they always go to nice families. There is one downside to this area: the trees growing around power lines are irresponsibly, even criminally neglected so power outages are common. There's a tree that has been hanging on power lines for weeks in the Paradise Lake area. Every time I drive by I wonder why no one has done anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area