Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:23 AM

191 posts, read 161,310 times

Advertisements

Hey - can you help recommend west coast lifestyle choices for me? Primarily, I need a place to live. Secondarily, I need to figure out what hobbies are/are not financially viable. Single male, $73k salary.

Interests:
- Lots of hobbies, and so quite a bit of material stuff
- I like rural places and outdoors activities (free?)
- Will need friends in the area (free)
- I like concerts ($20), skateboarding (free?), other "hipster" things (free?)
- Firearm enthusiast ($10-$20/hr)
- Like playing guitar (free)
- Like working on my cars ($$)
- Probably will pick up surfing ($$ cost to get to coast?)
- From Adirondacks in NY, huge fan of mountains, trees, and quiet scenery (free)

Ideally, I'd buy/rent a cheap house in a mountainous "middle-of-nowhere": Play guitar / start a band and not bother neighbors. Legally/Safely shoot guns off the back porch. Also w/ easy rush hour commute to Lynnwood. Easy off-hour commute to Seattle (skateboarding) or the coast (surfing) on weekends.

What is realistic? I realize there's no best of all worlds, so I'm open to creative suggestions. E.g.; Move to Seattle proper, downsize (sell) things, "opposite" rush hour commute to work, offers skateboarding and social life, drive to the middle of nowhere when I need to get away from the business.

Is anything I'm mentioning outlandishly expensive or a huge pain in the neck (surfing / taking the ferries?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 10:35 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,901 times
What city will you live in?

What city will you work in?

What is your commute tolerance (i.e., the longest commute you can stand)?

Is that comment about shooting guns off the back porch real?

Old 04-02-2015, 10:52 AM

Not sure where to live (or if I need roommates)

Working in Lynnwood.

Currently takes me 45 minutes to commute my 10 miles in DC :-(. I can continue that if necessary; but 20 minutes would be lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Is that comment about shooting guns off the back porch real?
It was serious, but maybe not realistic. I don't know the area so I figured I'd throw it out there and see what people said. It actually happens in rural NY and WV. I've always heard that Washington has really rural areas, so I wasn't sure if that's a thing there (or if it's socially unacceptable). I'd prefer not to freak anyone out.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:10 AM

85 posts, read 155,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillmore241 View Post
It was serious, but maybe not realistic. I don't know the area so I figured I'd throw it out there and see what people said. It actually happens in rural NY and WV. I've always heard that Washington has really rural areas, so I wasn't sure if that's a thing there (or if it's socially unacceptable). I'd prefer not to freak anyone out.
Start here: Recreational Shooting Snohomish County

Old 04-02-2015, 11:40 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillmore241 View Post
Not sure where to live (or if I need roommates)

Working in Lynnwood.

Currently takes me 45 minutes to commute my 10 miles in DC :-(. I can continue that if necessary; but 20 minutes would be lovely.

I asked because you can definitely get more of a rural feel if you want, but the commute tolerance has to be relatively high for it to make sense.

Live in Snohomish County, for certain. If you want a shorter commute, stick to the western side of the county (Lynnwood, Mukilteo if you want water views, and/or Everett) as the aforementioned cities are all on major transportation corridors. However, if you want a more rural feel, head east. Maltby, Monroe, and Snohomish would be other good options.

If you were serious about your gun comment, my advice would be to live in or near Tulalip (near Marysville). The tribal lands tend to be heavily wooded.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by amaiunmei; 04-02-2015 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-02-2015, 12:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
The town of Snohomish sounds like it might fit. Fairly easy commute to Lynnwood. Lots of farmland and woods around. Not quite so rural that there's nothing to do( there are restaurants, bars, bakeries, etc) but it's not suburbia.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:37 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Monroe would be a good fit. Affordable, commuting options, easily reachable to mountains.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:12 PM

Thanks! This has been really helpful. Snohomish sounds great. I'll see what I can find.

Shooting excluded, would that open up any more urban/suburban suggestions?

Renting/buying a house is what I'm mainly thinking so I can play music loudly and work on my cars if needed.
- Is it hard to find houses for rent here?
- Any value in buying (less expensive than DC) versus renting (as expensive as DC)?
- What is the approximate cost / month in areas you're recommending? (is Seattle proper much more expensive than Snohomish?)

Old 04-02-2015, 01:40 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
As has been mentioned, commuting from Monroe, Snohomish, etc., can be difficult. Highway 2 is a mess.

Being able to fire guns off your back porch (which I take to be a desire to live in a rural area with no close neighbors) and "friends in the area" are somewhat contradictory, unless talking about buddies made at the gun range. How many cars will you need to work on? If interested in a dating-social scene, concerts, skateparks, "hipster" gathering places, etc., you don't want to be marooned out in the sticks. Throw in the desire for less than a soul-destroying commute and more than just one something's got to give.

I'd suggest renting a house (I'd say apartment, if not for the "working on cars" thing) in the general Lynnwood area, itself, and then use it as a base for exploring where else you might want to live, what kind of social mix you want, what are and aren't doable commutes, and what activities you might want to be closer to. Realize that the Puget Sound area and the Adirondacks area of Upper NY are very different places.

Note: You can live in more urban areas here and still not be more than one to three hours (if traveling outside peak commute periods) from mountains (hiking, camping, climbing, downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, off-roading, etc.) and water (the coast, the Sound, lakes, etc., for surfing, swimming, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, sailing, boating, etc.). The best surfing is at Westport, which is about 145 miles from Lynnwood - the quickest route is straight down I-5, then west on SR-8/US-12.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:10 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Lynnwood hobbies?

Get a Camaro and soup it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area