Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 04:54 PM

337 posts, read 494,669 times

Advertisements

My fence was repaired on Tuesday and "no trespassing" signs posted. I came home yesterday evening to "no trespassing" signs scattered on my back lawn, and one of the cross-sections kicked-out. So, that didn't even take 24 hours. Time to get the police involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 05:06 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,361,243 times

Defender Phoenix 301 Digital Wireless Security System PX301-010

Catch them in the act, then hunt down their parents. If they won't cooperate, file a complaint with the police and get a police report. If necessary, take them to small claims court.

My bet is that there is a ring leader.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:25 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
My fence was repaired on Tuesday and "no trespassing" signs posted. I came home yesterday evening to "no trespassing" signs scattered on my back lawn, and one of the cross-sections kicked-out. So, that didn't even take 24 hours. Time to get the police involved.
Yep...not surprised. I hope your local police are responsive. You'll most likely be told that if you can't catch them "in the act", nothing can/will be done. Also, their parents could care less...why do you think they act like they do? Parents are most likely on the pipe.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:12 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,879 times
Time to take a day off to sit in the backyard with a video camera and a fake gun. And be persistent with the police. They only respond to thorns.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:48 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Wow! That's blatant. Someone has some nerve. This has crossed the line to juvenile deliquency. Definitely time to get the police involved.

Install surveillance cameras.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:16 AM

225 posts, read 382,697 times
Boy,

What a bummer that OP has purchased a nice house, and has to deal with this mess. Time, money and energy taken away from his quality of life in his new neighborhood. The apprehension of coming home each day not sure what he will have to deal with.

I am so sorry that these parents obviously do not care about where their kids are or what they may be doing. I hope you find a solution soon.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:23 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
Boy,

What a bummer that OP has purchased a nice house, and has to deal with this mess. Time, money and energy taken away from his quality of life in his new neighborhood. The apprehension of coming home each day not sure what he will have to deal with.

I am so sorry that these parents obviously do not care about where their kids are or what they may be doing. I hope you find a solution soon.
It's a good lesson in exercising care in choosing a property to buy. It's too bad one has to consider a neighboring apartment building as a hazard. In my own experience in Seattle and elsewhere, I learned one has to consider even the presence of a church in the neighborhood to be a potential hazard. Churches tend to open weekend soup kitchens to serve "the poor", yet mainly those operations attract drug addicts and ex-cons, and suddenly problems develop in the neighborhood. The church administration never consults with the neighbors before doing this. So now we learn that not only do home buyers need to avoid churches, they need to avoid apartment buildings, and perhaps schools, as well. And nutty neighbors. One neighbor across the street from me in Seattle actually burned down his neighbor's house! They had a feud going on about an easement they shared. Crazy stuff!

Old 05-03-2015, 05:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
...TONS of small and younger children, most of them under 13. .. i'm having a problem with them coming into my yard. Keep a BIG friendly dog in side the fence. I use Labs, Pyrenees, Newfoundland, and St Bernard. Not mean, just large

What they are doing is using my property as a shortcut. ... Not long after that I caught a young girl sitting on the fence and I had to tell her to get down. She did so, then not minutes later she was right back up there again and I had to go back out. Stuff like this went on and on all freaking weekend.

Being a 'farm kid...' I use Electric / shock fences as a deterrent Works good for cats that like to climb on screen doors too.

The apartment managers and parents don't seem to monitor the children very well at all. >>>> not long ago the manager came out and started yelling at him. He told her that the trash was coming from that direction so he was just returning it and that she could sue him if she had a problem. <<<

My immediate neighbor came over on Wednesday night and told me he caught several kids in my front yard throwing stones I had recently laid. ...

Now, my neighbor was an Army officer whom just got out not too long ago so he pulled out is command voice let the kid have it and the little sucker took off running, LOL.

I'm not really sure what to do here. The kids are nice enough for the most part and they seem to like me, the problem is that there are a lot of them and I can't seem to catch them all. ...

What would some of you do?
Ideally (way too optimistic) you could have a great, fun relationship with the kids and they will respect you. Apartment kids change WAY too often, so you would be doing this full time...Kids may have a poor family life it would be GREAT if you could help them. BUT >>> as a single guy you will be highly suspect and a target for 'predator' lawsuits<<<, very unfortunate, but now is part of our USA legal society.

U R gonna have to move sooner than later. (Make plans for this.. This is a good yr to sell property) BEFORE interest rates climb and while inventories are low. Go buy a cash flowing commercial property that has an apartment for you, or will cover your rents where you can find a home to 'retreat' to. You will need your peace and quiet and rest.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:45 AM

450 posts, read 549,784 times
I agree with the poster above. the problems will likely persist and given it's an apartment building will not go away if a kid's family moves, as say for example if the issues are just with one family's kids in a SFR street. It is a very good year to sell and you should just get out while you can.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 PM

337 posts, read 494,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's a good lesson in exercising care in choosing a property to buy.
This is true. I bought in winter when it's largely quiet here. I didn't see most of the kids at all through this past winter. I had no idea until last summer came how many kids there are.

The good thing is that they have for the moment stopped trying to get through my yard. They've moved on to kicking the fence planks out of my neighbor's fence. He noticed it yesterday, then stopped a bunch of kids transiting his yard. He's a renter and they have never seen him before, but they've worn a path through the back yard. Now he's been out there telling them to take the street route. So now we're both on the lookout, LOL.

My initial plan with this house was to stay for two years and then move on. I'm still essentially on-target, i'm just going to be doing it a few months early, that's all. Most likely Fall. I'm now thinking North Beacon Hill or even Northgate, probably somewhere on the planned light rail route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area