Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 01:28 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times

Advertisements

If the night-shift at SFH is 11:00 to 7:00, I see no reason she couldn't use transit to commute from the more dense areas you're looking at. The Broadway and Madison corridors near SFH are well-lit and well-populated at night. The denser areas you're looking at living in are mostly active/busy late into the evening (she'd be looking at leaving around 10pm, which really isn't that late). You'd want to evaluate each prospective location as to proximity to transit corridors (Market, 15th, 24th, and Leary in Ballard, for instance), street lighting and activity, etc. Note that crime maps can be misleading in dense neighborhoods, but possibly helpful in identifying trouble spots in less dense areas.

If, however, using a car to commute to Swedish First Hill, the availability/affordability of parking becomes a major issue, especially in Capitol Hill, Lower Queen Anne, Upper Queen Anne, Fremont, Ballard, and the U District. Many older apartment buildings don't have parking and older houses often don't have garages. That doesn't mean you won't be able to find apartments/houses with parking in these areas, but that it could be a limiting factor and/or a significant added expense. Parking should be more available the further north you go, but rentals will correspondingly be less available, until you get to Lake City, Northgate, Greenwood, etc.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 04-16-2015 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 02:02 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
If, however, using a car to commute to Swedish First Hill, the availability/affordability of parking becomes a major issue, especially in Capitol Hill, Lower Queen Anne, Upper Queen Anne, Fremont, Ballard, and the U District. Many older apartment buildings don't have parking and older houses often don't have garages. That doesn't mean you won't be able to find apartments/houses with parking in these areas, but that it could be a limiting factor and/or a significant added expense. Parking should be more available the further north you go, but rentals will correspondingly be less available, until you get to Lake City, Northgate, Greenwood, etc.
Swedish has employee parking for free. Since the OP is looking in W Seattle and the north end for their home base, the cost of parking in Cap Hill & First Hill is irrelevant.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Swedish has employee parking for free. Since the OP is looking in W Seattle and the north end for their home base, the cost of parking in Cap Hill & First Hill is irrelevant.
I was referring to where he was looking to live, not to where she'd be working. The availability/cost of parking is HIGHLY relevant if living in Ballard, Fremont, U District, Lower/Upper Queen Anne, and Capitol Hill.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:37 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Is the OP looking for an apt., or would he be open to a small rental home? In Ravenna, it would mostly be a home, or a large home that's been divided into apartments. In West Seattle, it could be an apt. or a 2-br. home. A home with yard, obviously, has its own parking. Explore both options. You might score a house for yourselves. If you're open to that, include in your search the Montlake area just south of the UW. It's on Lake Washington, beautiful neighborhood, walkable, and the commute to downtown isn't as heavily trafficked. Easy bike ride to UW Medical Center.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:39 PM

65 posts, read 97,283 times
Well, I don't want to come off sounding like I have OCD or anything (lol), but after reading, re-reading, and looking online......... I dare ask if First Hill would be ok? Here is more specific & updated information:

1) Night shift will run 12 hour shifts 7pm-7am 3-4 days per week.

2) I have eliminated the University of Washington from my job prospects. I'm gonna decide between Starbucks HQ or some of the logistics firms in and around the Port of Seattle.

3) Any form of public transportation will be fine.

4) Really would like to have a nearby grocery store, some restaurants, coffee shops, and acess to craft beer within walking distance. (simply wishes, but not deal breakers)

5) Trying to keep the rent capped at lower than $1800 per month. Considering possible monthly parking fees, ideal would be $1500 per month rent.

Would First Hill completely eliminate the need to drive to Swedish Medical regardless of area in First Hill?

We still have the northern communities of Seattle on our mind, but maybe move to First Hill and get settled in. Could always move up North (Ballard, Fremont, Ravenna, etc) in year or two.

Like I said, this is crazy difficult decision!!!

Old 04-18-2015, 03:50 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
First Hill will be OK, if you're ok with a more urban environment like that, vs. the leafy suburban-type environment of Ravenna, etc. 7-7 is a good shift. Transit will work (if you end up in the north end). If I were working a 12-hr. all-night shift, though, I sure wouldn't want to have to take a long transit ride back home at the end of it. Just a thought. If you're on First Hill, her job would be walkable.

First Hill is also an ok location for Starbucks HQ and the port. At least it's in the vicinity of downtown. However, First Hill isn't big on neighborhood amenities, like what you're looking for. That's on neighboring Capitol Hill. First Hill used to be mainly hospitals and other institutions, a few old low-income apt. buildings, and the like. Due to its proximity to downtown and the surge in demand for housing from tech development, it's morphed into somewhat of a gentrified area, which has improved safety in the area. If the livability has improved in terms of amenities, I'm not aware of it. But Cap Hill is close by. Oh, but because of so many hospitals in the area, there will be emergency vehicle sirens at all hours. Apts. should be sound-proofed, one hopes.

Good plan to start out on First Hill, then acquaint yourselves with other neighborhoods. You may decide the convenience of First Hill trumps other considerations. Ballard is way too far away, IMO. And Fremont is too difficult a commute for her; it would involve transferring buses. Too difficult and time-consuming. Ravenna or Roosevelt would be a straight shot downtown. Well, OK, it would still involve transferring buses for her, so she's be the one to use the car.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:34 PM

65 posts, read 97,283 times
Sincere thanks Ruth!

Old 04-18-2015, 05:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Regarding your question " Would First Hill completely eliminate the drive to Swedish, regardless of what area of First Hill?
Mostly. Because bus service is good there, but there are some parts of First Hill that would seem like an unpleasant walk in the pouring rain. In a lot of neighborhoods, the boundaries aren't official or agreed upon...So, in my view, beyond 12th Avenue is no longer First Hill, nor west of I-5, nor north of Pike or Madison, or south of Main. If you were living closer to Main, it could be an unpleasant schlep in the rain to Swedish.
But outside of that, it's, for all intents and purposes, an extension of downtown, and is very convenient to Capitol Hill, downtown, the International District, and the Central District. So it clearly has pluses. And it has cool old buildings. Because it has a lot of density, and a diverse mix socioeconomically, crime is a little higher than other neighborhoods. I don't consider it particularly dangerous. But exercise common sense if you live there.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:18 PM

If on First Hill, she could walk to and from work. You could walk (or catch a bus) downtown and then reverse-commute to pretty much anywhere in the Seattle-Bellevue metro area. You can find one-bedroom apartments on First Hill for under $1,500, not counting parking, but they're not super numerous.

For many more options, look at Capitol Hill, particularly west of Broadway, where there are tons of apartments. I'd also look at anything in your price range in the Central District, Yesler Terrace, Cherry Hill (a.k.a. Second Hill), Atlantic (Judkins Park), North Beacon Hill, and Lower Queen Anne, etc.

Most of those areas allow living without a car - if you can rely on transit for commuting, you can save well over $500/month on car payments, gas, maintenance/repairs, and parking.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ravenna or Roosevelt would be a straight shot downtown. Well, OK, it would still involve transferring buses for her, so she's be the one to use the car.
She could still have a one-bus commute to SFH, if living within a few blocks or so of the #49 trolleybus line:

Route 49 - King County Metro Transit

She'd need to walk from Pine & Broadway to SFH (about 4 blocks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area