Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:28 AM

65 posts, read 97,412 times

Advertisements

Ugh!...... OK, between frequenting this site for over 5 years and making 3 visits to Seattle in the past twelve months, why is choosing the right neighborhood the most difficult between the following:

1) Making the decision to relocate to Seattle - EASY
2) Securing employment - Moderate & Accomplished
3) Setting up logistics of move - Easy

This has been such a long process and maybe we are suffering from "paralysis by analysis"......

Quick background:

- Mid 30's and no children
- Walkability & public transportation is important (will only bring one vehicle)
- restaurants, coffee shops, movies, & craft beer important
- Wife received multiple full time employment offers from Seattle area hospitals. Selected Swedish First Hill
- ICU night shift as Registered Nurse
- Relocation assistance, signing bonus, & salary break-even on Kansas City vs Seattle cost of living
- I'll be working in Supply Chain Operations/Logistics
- Choose between Starbucks HQ, University Washington Medical Center, or Ports

Areas focused on for $1500-1700 (leaning towards top 3):

1) Ballard
2) Freemont
3) University District (northern part near Whole Foods)
4) Lower or Upper Queen Anne (worried about rental rates)
5) Capitol Hill (worried about rental rates)

Are we off base with the above choices based on budget, amenities, and public transportation?

Speaking of public transportation, much prefer Rail/Train vs Bus. Will the areas of Ballard, Fremont & University District eventually get served by Rail/Train?

Thanks for any input both good & bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:39 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
You can make it work in any of those neighborhoods. It comes down to the priorities you mention: housing costs, commute, neighborhood amenities. What's most important to you? A nice place with lots of space? A short commute? Cool stuff in your immediate area?

Work down the list from what matters to you the most to the least.

Whether or not First Hill and Capitol Hill rental rates are going to be an issue for you depends on what you expect in an apartment. My wife and I pay well under your range to live on Capitol Hill, but we are ok with an older one bedroom that's a little run-down. If you want something fancier and newer and/or with significantly more space than that, you may run over your budget.

Here's some info on light rail expansion: Projects & Plans

Old 04-15-2015, 11:04 AM

65 posts, read 97,412 times
Thanks BATCAT. Been reading your post for a long time. Also insightful and funny to watch things spin out of control sometimes in these postings.

I read over the long range transit plan from your link and very interesting. Have also watched some news stories, mini documentaries, and PBS programs about Seattle's transit, housing, and employment issues. Makes you really analyze the decision to move to Seattle instead of simply making hasty decisions.

Oh, Capitol Hill area was #1 choice by far on so many levels. Again, I guess reading and listening to so much being said about Capitol Hill pricing spiking out of control. Simply LOVE that area! Lucky you. lol. To be honest, we don't need anything brand new with fancy amenities. Primarily just want a clean place with W/D in unit as far as living arrangements go. Could care less about roof top BBQ, views, etc.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
If craft beer is important, you can't beat Ballard. ...
The University District is getting light rail( at least the southern part of it) next year.
Where Whole Foods is is close to the University District, but isn't. It's the Roosevelt district, and if you're looking there, throw nearby Ravenna into the mix too.
Fremont's fine, but it's really small.
Lower Queen Anne and the western part of Capitol Hill have the advantage of being close to downtown, but that also generally translates into higher rents and increased density. some people want that, others not so much.
And to confuse you even further, how about North Beacon Hill or Columbia City? Both on the light rail line. Columbia city and nearby Hillman city have quite a few places to drink good beer, and have a couple of microbreweries. North Beacon Hill has a great pub( with great craft brew choices), and a great pizza place( which is not one of your priorities, but is always one of mine).

Old 04-15-2015, 11:18 AM

54 posts, read 59,607 times
Seattle has a lot of cool neighborhoods, not just Capitol Hill. If there are neighborhoods I would recommend to avoid, though, then the ones closest to the hospitals would be it (First Hill and Central District).

Old 04-15-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily_mist View Post
Seattle has a lot of cool neighborhoods, not just Capitol Hill. If there are neighborhoods I would recommend to avoid, though, then the ones closest to the hospitals would be it (First Hill and Central District).
The OP mentioned that his wife will be working on First Hill though. If I were the OP, her being able to simply walk to work versus a bus/rail commute would enter into the equation.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:49 AM

54 posts, read 59,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
The OP mentioned that his wife will be working on First Hill though. If I were the OP, her being able to simply walk to work versus a bus/rail commute would enter into the equation.
True, I just think it's one of the most dull neighborhoods you can live in. And I think it's a bit more dangerous than some some of the other ones, because it's closer to CD. That said, they're going to open the First Hill Streetcar next year, so that should make it far more appealing.

Last edited by daily_mist; 04-15-2015 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 11:55 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
If craft beer is important, you can't beat Ballard. ...
The University District is getting light rail( at least the southern part of it) next year.
Where Whole Foods is is close to the University District, but isn't. It's the Roosevelt district, and if you're looking there, throw nearby Ravenna into the mix too.
This. When I read "north U District", I immediately thought of Ravenna. The north part of the U District borders on Ravenna Park. On the other side of the park is the Ravenna neighborhood. It's beautiful, especially closer to the park.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily_mist View Post
True, I just don't think it's one of the most dull neighborhoods you can live in. And I think it's a bit more dangerous than some some of the other ones, because it's closer to CD. That said, they're going to open the First Hill Streetcar next year, so that should make it far more appealing.
I don't agree. First Hill puts you an easy walk away from both Downtown and Capitol Hill, which is a great spot for those who like city living. First Hill's got got the Frye art museum, the Hideout (possibly my favorite cocktail bar in Seattle; a very cozy little spot), the Sorrento, and Vitos (good cocktails and Italian food).

I also don't think it nor the CD are especially dangerous, especially if you take sensible precautions. I lived on First Hill for about a year and really liked it.

First Hill's main cons for me were that it could be noisy and that it felt less warm and "neighborhood-ey" that Capitol Hill. But all in all I think it's an underrated area, especially considering that rents seem to be a notch or two lower than Capitol Hill.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:11 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
The reputation of the CD from decades ago is a zombie that just won't die. We are your neighbors in the CD - a down-to-earth bicoastal (ok, well, Gulf coast) family with young kids roaming the neighborhood. Be afraid, be very afraid!

We love the location, the history and the authentic neighborhood feel of the CD but wherever you land in Seattle, be sure to visit Justin at Standard Brewing sometime if you enjoy craft brews: Standard Brewing -

Good luck!

Added: +1 BATCAT (can't rep you again)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area