Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:09 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times

Advertisements

This is possibly the most Seattle thread of the Seattle threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:18 AM

183 posts, read 220,574 times
If Starbucks is considered high quality, that shows what the food scene in Seattle is really like.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 AM

22 posts, read 26,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_curious_urbanist View Post
If Starbucks is considered high quality, that shows what the food scene in Seattle is really like.
I think it's all relative and how picky the consumer base is. I'm spoiled. I'm from Los Angeles and was accustomed to local flavor and flare from the incredible ethic makeup of the city. I feel the same way about Seattle...there is truly a large selection of fresh, local food available basically anywhere you go...and the eating establishments that care about that sort of thing (lots of 'em) use locally or regionally-grown food. Currently, I'm in a Midwest Hell (counting down the days until we move to Seattle). Here, "great" food is when there is a sale on all-you-can-eat pancakes at Bob Evans, or the local "gourmet" or "fusion" restaurant features bone marrow as an entree from beef sourced nowhere near here.

I'd even give a princely sum for a taco and Mexi-fries from Taco Time right about now. At least you know that the ingredients there are from WA/PNW growers.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:38 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
There is no food scene. So you're right.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:40 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Any "foodie" would tell you that Seattle has one of the most critically acclaimed "farm to table" dining scenes in the country, if not the best. Even the New York Times thinks so: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/tr...ttle.html?_r=0

Last edited by homesinseattle; 04-21-2015 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 12:59 PM

163 posts, read 269,966 times
Farm to table doesn't automatically equate to high quality right?

Old 04-21-2015, 01:08 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
"Farm to Table" is exceptional here in Seattle. When you take high quality (often organic) local ingredients, regionally sourced seafood and meat, and combine it with classically trained, very creative chefs, the result is tasty. As I traveler, I will also tell you that the Asian food in this town is very nuanced and varied (Szechuan, Japanese, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Laotian, Provincial Vietnamese, Indonesia, Malaysian, authentic Thai, amazing Korean). Throw in some delicious East African food, some of the best seafood restaurants in America and yes, I think we have a pretty great food scene.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 04-21-2015 at 01:21 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 01:37 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
How? First of all, most people in Seattle don't consider Starbucks to be high quality. When Starbucks started, there wasn't any good coffee around at all, so they kind of put the "gourmet coffee" thing on the map. But by today's Seattle standards, Starbucks is generally thought of as "meh". So what does that have anything, at all, to do with the food scene in Seattle? Nothing. Zilch. Zero. The hot dog on a bun originated in New York City. Most hot dogs are nasty, disgusting. So does that show what the food scene is like in New York City? Of course not. I'm not going to express my opinion on Seattle's food scene. But if you read through this thread, very few people were praising Starbucks as high quality. Which leads me to believe that the _curious_urbanist didn't read through the thread. He may be curious, but is uninformed, and really...incurious.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
Here, Ira, I think you just dropped this mic.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:16 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
"Farm to Table" is exceptional here in Seattle. When you take high quality (often organic) local ingredients, regionally sourced seafood and meat, and combine it with classically trained, very creative chefs, the result is tasty. As I traveler, I will also tell you that the Asian food in this town is very nuanced and varied (Szechuan, Japanese, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Laotian, Provincial Vietnamese, Indonesia, Malaysian, authentic Thai, amazing Korean). Throw in some delicious East African food, some of the best seafood restaurants in America and yes, I think we have a pretty great food scene.
Name 2 good Szechuan restaurants in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area