Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 04:04 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times

Advertisements

I'll stop saying the 5 when no one says Cali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:00 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,384 times
maybe just me but i dislike it when people say "San Fran" more than "the" or "cali" or even "OC."

i actually think most seattle folks just groan a bit when they hear that you're from CA because there are so many CA transplants and they walk around happy and excited that housing is so cheap over here while everyone else complains that housing is so expensive.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:20 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,271 times
I also think Seattle folks get annoyed with me when I explain how much I like rain. They keep telling me to "just wait." But I SERIOUSLY like rain. I've been absolutely miserable lately with all this sun, and can't help but feel like the gods are mocking me. I honestly thought I'd have rain almost every day of my life here.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 AM

768 posts, read 718,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
I'll stop saying the 5 when no one says Cali.
Exactly!

I never heard the term "Cali" before rap. And I lived there until 3 years ago. I feel nails on a chalkboard everytime someone uses that term.

My cousins correct me everytime I say "the five." One of them explained it would be like putting "the" in front a name, i.e. the George. Okay I get that. I also understand using "the" is strictly a California thing. Hard habit to break.

I remember the people of Washington disliking Californians because of the real estate boom they created in the '70's. There were bumper stickers that said, "Welcome to Washington. Now go home." That attitude seems to no longer exist. I just don't want Californians (or anyone for that matter) moving here & then try to convince people here, things should be as they are in California. I & many others have been delightfully surprised that things that are NOT like California.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:55 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Not all Californians, just the ones who move here and then try to turn WA into CA. As you can see they've been doing a bang up job of doing that for the last 30 years, Seattle is practical SFO North.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:35 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
My only peeve with CA transplants (and I am lumping north and south together) is that some come up here to enjoy the bottom bargain prices of Seattle real estate. There is a family here that built themselves a 7 bedroom estate home overlooking Lk Sammamish from the sale of their "modest" 4 bedroom San Francisco home. Having transplanted from flyover country it occasionally (and understandably) makes me want to tell someone to **** when I hear comments about how great the COL is here. I guess that's not really a peeve as much as bitter jealousy.
This is a complaint that's common not just in Seattle but in Colorado, Oregon, and Texas. Day by day, CA is experiencing an exodus of people who could no longer hold on to the rat race mess of a state that place is, and these folks are moving elsewhere and making real estate prices go higher. It's only going to get worse.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:02 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
I work with Californians and travel to California regularly. They move here, we move there, it's a back and forth that no one even mentions. We say that living in California will negatively impact your income by at least 20% between taxes and COL. Californians think more like us, we share similar tech industries, etc. and I think we have at least as much, if not more, in common with California than we do Oregon. Face it, Western Washington is pretty corporate minded. We might chuckle at Portlandia but it wouldn't fly here. I get the trading back and forth between Washington-California-Oregon. It makes sense.

What is strange to me is how many Texans leap over all the other states to come here. Why? We have nothing in common and save for a few that seem to be Washingtonians at heart, it's odd. It used to be Texans moved to Colorado, that was their thing. I'm not sure how Washington got in the mix.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:06 PM

768 posts, read 718,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
This is a complaint that's common not just in Seattle but in Colorado, Oregon, and Texas. Day by day, CA is experiencing an exodus of people who could no longer hold on to the rat race mess of a state that place is, and these folks are moving elsewhere and making real estate prices go higher. It's only going to get worse.
I moved to Seattle because my grandson's step-father took a job up here & moved the family here. I wanted to keep our relationship close. My grandson's other grandparents moved up here as well.

California is a mess! It's due to the legislation & the federal government's refusal to uphold immigration laws as well as the bribes they offer to various agencies to do things their way. I do see some things that have been put in use here that came from California. I was surprised when the auto licensing laws actually use California's emissions laws. Washington didn't even bother to put it in their own words. They just say to use California's law. I think it's funny.

I think real estate & rent prices are rising so much because of the jobs offered here. More & more people are discovering these opportunities, move here & need a place to live. Supply & demand.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
I think real estate & rent prices are rising so much because of the jobs offered here. More & more people are discovering these opportunities, move here & need a place to live. Supply & demand.
And someone living in Seattle that chooses to move somewhere cheaper would have the same benefits Californians are seeing here. It's not like a Seattleite would apologize for being able to buy a much cheaper house in less expensive area.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:18 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
The influx will slow significantly once house prices here are no longer attractive. We're getting there. Now if you really want to make a difference go out and buy a house to keep it from going to a Californian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area