Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 12:32 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Wow, the hatred. Are you having a bad day? Aww...
Add sensitive to the list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 07:25 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Some form of that is heard throughout CD. For example, old timers in NH complain about people trying to turn NH into Mass. You read the same thing about Californians in the Colorado threads from time to time.

This is what I think it means. People often flee an area for various reasons. Maybe it's too crowded, often it's too expensive, taxes are crazy, and so on. If enough of them flee to the same area they end up making the place look like the place they came from. In some cases (e.g. taxes are too high) they seem oblivious as to why taxes were high where they came from and vote for all the things that led to that situation in their old area.
The Capital Gains taxes from the sale of a house (if you're under a certain age), really don't do folks any favors who are against this. Having to buy a house of equal value to the home you're selling, since, if you don't, you give a good portion of your product to Uncle Sam.
If it wasn't for this, believe me, the Seattle area would have more like just under 3 million people, instead of the almost 4 million it has now.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:32 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Disagree with your premise. Seattle values would still be growing despite CA newcomers. This idea of CA downsizers is mostly a myth and while this has occurred in the past, it is not the predominate factor in rising home values in W. WA. Instead it is due to the natural growth of the area, the influx of tech workers, and lack of available inventory. Which simply means there is more demand than supply for real estate. This is what raises prices, and is responsible for dozens of construction cranes in Seattle/Bellevue, not any CA influx like in the 80's.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 06-04-2016 at 10:29 PM..

Old 06-05-2016, 12:03 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daberkow View Post
Whatever it is, Californication can't happen soon enough. It'll be a happy day when the "native" grumps flee for somewhere else they can brood about the world changing.
Yipes.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
So you've never met a Seattleite then? Add sneaky/weaselly, unfounded pretentiousness because they're "betting being form *SEATTLE*" and total socially-inept (oh, and terrible dresser...seriously, hiking clothes 24/7 and while at work???) to the list and you've described Seattleites to a "T."
Soooo mean...

Old 06-07-2016, 11:10 PM

20 posts, read 22,164 times
Two words: SNOQUALMIE VALLEY

Barely recognizable as the beautiful backyard I grew up in.

Master planned communities mowing down acreage after acreage of forestland and then pretending they're 'rural' earthy folk.

It's so funny to see so many communities in Cali contracting now in regards to growth. Lucky them if the transplants 'Washingtonicate' it.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:57 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
So you've never met a Seattleite then? Add sneaky/weaselly, unfounded pretentiousness because they're "betting being form *SEATTLE*" and total socially-inept (oh, and terrible dresser...seriously, hiking clothes 24/7 and while at work???) to the list and you've described Seattleites to a "T."

Must admit that made me chuckle.

I've lived in Seattle since the mid 90s and I grew up close, down in University Place. I'm about as far away as a "stereotypical" Seattle native as you can get and I really don't fit in well in this town. Never have and never will. But that's ok! We all can't be the same, right? Only thing keeping me here is my career.

WA turning into CA? For me, it's great. Most of my really good friends are from California. I tend to vibe with them better as we have similar political views (more Libertarian) and crazy senses of humor.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:51 PM

I've been here even longer and I dislike the characterizations of social ineptitude, sneakiness and hiking clothes 24/7. Peopke are individuals and my friends are coworkers are quite different from one another.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,531 times
We're both native born Western Washingtonians, and come next spring, out of here! Absolutely awful, giant hulking houses jammed together so tight it's scary, 1/2 million a pop minimum. Hour and more to get to Seattle from Bothell, less than 15 miles. Can't afford my hometown of Anacortes. OK is looking good to us.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:35 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Why don't you all just shut the hell up about California, it's tiresome.

Try spending that wasted energy on actually trying to befriend someone from California.

Look around you, Washington is not nirvana, no pun intended...and the problems began long before all the horrible Californians arrived.

I have to travel to Seatle for medical care...graffiti, trash, crazy drivers, rude people, homeless camps everywhere...is that b/c of California?

And I will not even begin to comment on what I see & experience every day where I live.

And to think I initially joined CD to make contact with & befriend other Washington residents...haha!

So , shut up & move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area