Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,755 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My hubby and I are thinking about moving to Duvall area (job at Microsoft) and the area seems lovely, as I've always wanted to be have a huge backyard and lots of greenery.
My only concerns are how liberal is Duvall? We are an interracial couple and I know that Duvall is mostly white, and whether or not this would be an issue?
I like a nice sense of community and from what I've read this seems to be the case, so if anyone who lives/knows about Duvall could give me anymore info. it'd be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
I know 2 interracial couples who live in Duvall. One has been living there for over 25 years and the other has been there for 12 years.

It should not be an issue at all. Correction: it will not be an issue at all.

The "sense of community" is somewhat disappearing as Duvall is growing exponentially but still you'll bump into people at Family Grocer that you'll know. My prediction is that it won't be that way for long, though.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:13 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
I wonder if one of those couple is the couple that live just down the street from me...? If so, small world!

Destiny621, I don't think you would have any problem in here. Duvall has a long history of sort of a counterculture place. With all the recent growth that feeling has been somewhat lost, but it's still a fairly liberal area.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,755 times
Thanks for the info.! I'm currently living in Newport Beach, CA and I really don't like it here. It's so stuck up and conservative, I can't wait to get out.
I'm originally from Vancouver, B.C. so I have spent alot of time in WA but mostly in Bellingham and Seattle area. It'll be nice to get back to all the greenery and fresh air!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:44 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
I second (third? :-) what scirocco and seattlerain wrote. Duvall is still rural, quiet and "counterculture". Have a fruitful search!

Last edited by allforcats; 01-17-2008 at 09:53 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 12,261 times
Default Duvall

Destiny621,

You mentioned that you are originally from Vancouver, B.C. and as well you spent a lot of your time in Bellingham area!

My husband and I are an interracial couple currently residing in Florida, 7 years too long if you ask me. :-). We are really hoping to relocate back North but probably not to Vancouver, B.C. where he is also from originally. We have been considering areas within Washington state such as Bellingham. Can you tell me if this is an area you would recommend, especially to raise children?

Thank you

note: debrabye, I've created a separate thread for your inquiry because it doesn't have anything to do with "Duvall." If you'd like to get a response from Destiny621 from a personal perspective, please feel free to DM her.

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...-children.html

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-06-2008 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 06:48 PM

27 posts, read 120,823 times
We live between Duvall/Carnation... we are a white family with two SE Asian kids and we've never even gotten a second look when we're out and about (unlike when we've been to the east coast). Granted Duvall is a very "white" area (wikip~ reports: 93.46% White, 0.45% African American, 0.45% Native American, 1.97% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.49% from other races, and 2.12% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.73% of the population.) But, people here are very friendly and welcoming ...and you'll certainly find lots of green and trees!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,852 times
Maybe too late now but I have something to say (just my opinion), being the non-white half of an interracial couple living in the Duvall-Carnation area. In my experience living here for over 10 years, this area is isolating and depressing. While people will usually be cordial they tend not to let "outsiders" in their inner circles of "friends." If you don't look like them, they're automatically distrustful, and you may feel bullied by the occasional encounter with a few rednecks in the area. Maybe that's true anywhere, but here it's magnified because of the 2008 economic downturn. People here either work for Microsoft (and commute to Redmond so they're never around) or they're old geezers, unemployed and hang around town giving 'minorities' like me dirty looks at the local grocery store or library. If you decide to move in this area, you may soon find that while your house and belongings are here, you want to get out of town, often feeling more comfortable shopping, dining or socializing elsewhere (Bellevue, Tukwila, or Northgate etc), at least 30 or 40 minutes worth of driving each way. Most of the time the bigotry/racism is subtle or barely detectable so that the white spouse is lulled into thinking "Hey, it's 2013! racism has ceased to exist. Yipeee!" and you roll your eyes because that's not your personal experience. While the white spouse may think living out here in a charming, scenic, quiet, rural town is idealistic, the 'other' half will soon be *strongly* suggesting a move closer to Seattle, maybe Redmond, or even Woodinville where one won't overhear people making comments like "Does he/she speak English?" or "Where do you think he/she is from?" and "Dunno but he/she looks like from an ugly race, so their kids are half-ugly." And while white people around Duvall talk proudly about "Random Acts of Kindness" I've never been at the receiving end of it myself. But in fairness, the neighbors are nice to the white half of this particular interracial couple. So...(deep breath) GOOD LUCK to any 'minorities' who wish to move here. Think of it this way: you have your white spouse, so that's half the battle won. And for the non-white half, it's a challenge, but the lighter your skin is, the quicker you'll adjust. Me? I have another 10 years to go. Hahaha.

Last edited by AngelBadge; 12-04-2013 at 12:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area