Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 04:02 PM

225 posts, read 382,874 times

Advertisements

We are taking an exploring day tomorrow, (Thursday) to Ballard. How much is parking at the locks? We are debating whether to take the bus, or drive. Is parking a pain in Ballard like Capitol Hill? We would also like to check out the Sailing Club and Corinthian Yacht Club.

Also, any other great unique shops or cheap eats in the area that we should not miss?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 04:22 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
I've always parked on Commodore Way, Magnolia side, for nothing. There is a parking lot for the locks, Ballard side, that has meters with a 4 hour maximum. Dunno the hourly rate. Couple fish shacks around that lot: never ate at one because anything adjacent to a tourist attraction makes me deeply suspicious as to quality. I've instead taken that on in to Ballard-proper, mile down the street (if-that), with tons of options.

I don't live there, but haven't yet found the parking odious in Magnolia on a slow Saturday or Sunday. I'm sure there are exceptions. On a weekday, would be surprised if it was that bad.

I'd personally aim for later-AM arrival and earlier PM departure, to keep clear of traffic to some extent, driving or not. I'm on a motorcycle most of the time when not busing, in general. Interesting question if buses run out there: I'm too lazy to look, but now on my to-do list for some slow weekend. I'm always looking for a good urban hike.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:27 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Parking at the north lot adjacent to the locks is two dollars per hour, with a maximum three hours.
In Ballard, parking is not quite as horrible as Capitol Hill, but traffic on Market St. can crawl, and I have always found a parking spot at the Locks. Right across from the Locks is the Totem House, which is now owned by Red Mill, so they've got both fish and chips and chowder, and great burgers. Up the road towards Golden Garden is Geo's Cuban and Creole...Maybe coming from Florida, it'll seem ordinary to you, but they've got good Cuban sandwiches and ribs. Paseo, the famous Caribbean sandwich joint, is right across the street from there. There are a million little breweries and eateries on or right near Market Street. D'Ambrosio Gelato is on Ballard Avenue in Old Ballard. If you can find parking, Old Ballard is a fun area to walk around in, and the gelato is ridiculously good.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:49 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Here are a couple neat places:

Ballard Reuse is a used and salvaged building materials super store. Our mission is to keep as much out of the landfill as possible while sharing creative reuse ideas and having fun. We have the full range of used building materials as well as odd finds and some just plain cool stuff: Welcome to Ballard Reuse | Ballard Reuse

Scandinavian Specialties: Tasty food, neat product selection, talk with a real Norwegian: Scandinavian Specialties - Specialty Food - Seattle, WA - Yelp

Curtis Steiner: Curtis Steiner to stay in Ballard, Souvenir re-opens under new name | Ballard News-Tribune

Monster Art and Clothing: Monster Art and Clothing

Pestle Rock: Amazing authentic Northern Thai Restaurant: Pestle Rock Isan Thai Cuisine

Senor Moose, delicious Mexican food: Señor Moose Café?mexican mexican - Comida Tipica

Old 05-06-2015, 06:33 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
This time of year on a week day it shouldn't be difficult to find parking. The Locks parking lot is 7 blocks from the end of the major business strip and there isn't much west of there.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 AM

320 posts, read 513,142 times
I realize I'm a day late for the OP, but if anyone else searches this thread down the road: There's also plenty of neighborhood parking within a block or two of the locks. I live that close and during the day none of the streets are filled. If you're doing a day trip (meaning: not overnight) you're not going to annoy anyone by parking in front of their house. Just pull up Google Maps and look a block or two north. Market st is dead that far down, no traffic.

I'll also second the Red Mill Totem House, its fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area