Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 09:24 AM

415 posts, read 491,144 times

Advertisements

Am I crazy for wanting to be part of a well-mannered and good-humored counter protest to support and show appreciation for Shell and the energy industry? I have a little kayak and could have some signs printed today. Anybody want to join me tomorrow for a nice day out on the water for a good cause?

We should all be quite grateful for the oil and gas industry for supplying the energy we need. Without them we'd be cold, hungry and bored.

Even those sanctimonious protesters depend on it. Their organic groceries were likely delivered to their food co-op on trucks fueled by diesel. Their iPhones flown in from the far-east on planes fueled by kerosene. The protesters' kayaks are all even made of plastics. You do know where that comes from I hope?

I'm all for conservation. That's part of being a genuine conservative - not wasting things like our natural patrimony. Indeed let's manage it wisely so we can leave some of that good go-juice left for the kids and grandkids so they too can enjoy a warm bath, mobility and the rest of the fruits of our modern industrial economy.

We should appreciate the sacrifice and hardship that the workers in oil and gas make to deliver us our energy. Working in places like frozen Alaska and North Dakota to the Gulf of Mexico and the deserts of the Middle East is difficult and risky. Everybody remembers the damage to nature from the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe. Nature has largely recovered, but the men who perished in that accident are still lost.

Instead of protesting the producers who just deliver what we consumers demand as efficiently as possible, they should protest consumers. The corporations are just our humble servants; they deliver the goods that we demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 09:26 AM

8,172 posts, read 8,312,713 times
You aren't crazy but is that really something to celebrate so strongly? There is plenty of oil without having to drill in the Arctic. I'm not anti oil, I use the stuff every day. I am anti drilling for oil in incredibly sensitive areas. Here's some fun morning reading: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/13/us...ling.html?_r=0

Old 05-15-2015, 12:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treuphax View Post
Am I crazy for wanting to be part of a well-mannered and good-humored counter protest to support and show appreciation for Shell and the energy industry? I have a little kayak and could have some signs printed today. Anybody want to join me tomorrow for a nice day out on the water for a good cause?

We should all be quite grateful for the oil and gas industry for supplying the energy we need. Without them we'd be cold, hungry and bored.

Even those sanctimonious protesters depend on it. Their organic groceries were likely delivered to their food co-op on trucks fueled by diesel. Their iPhones flown in from the far-east on planes fueled by kerosene. The protesters' kayaks are all even made of plastics. You do know where that comes from I hope?

I'm all for conservation. That's part of being a genuine conservative - not wasting things like our natural patrimony. Indeed let's manage it wisely so we can leave some of that good go-juice left for the kids and grandkids so they too can enjoy a warm bath, mobility and the rest of the fruits of our modern industrial economy.

We should appreciate the sacrifice and hardship that the workers in oil and gas make to deliver us our energy. Working in places like frozen Alaska and North Dakota to the Gulf of Mexico and the deserts of the Middle East is difficult and risky. Everybody remembers the damage to nature from the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe. Nature has largely recovered, but the men who perished in that accident are still lost.

Instead of protesting the producers who just deliver what we consumers demand as efficiently as possible, they should protest consumers. The corporations are just our humble servants; they deliver the goods that we demand.
One interesting irony is the amount of fuel used by Greenpeace to follow it from Hawaii. I wonder if the news tomorrow-Monday will show all of the cars parked in the area by the kayakers. Since no offshore drilling can be done without federal permits, they should be protesting in D.C., but then there is no water to play in there.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:16 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,889,285 times
These protesters are sincere when they use their smartphones to Tweet and Facebook about how anti-oil they are, all-the-while ignoring the fact that their smartphones (and the components that make up their phones) are all manufactured in countries that rely on oil and pollute heavily.

I guess you can call these people environmental-NIMBYs. They're fine with giving patronage to goods produced in other people's countries that rely on oil, just as long as they don't have to see it in their own city. Sweet hypocrisy.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:49 PM

710 posts, read 1,398,374 times
Well, the funniest part to me was the fact the 'kayak-tivists' seemed oblivious to the fact their kayaks are made from petroleum... At least the duwamish tribe protested in wooden canoes. Sometimes I wonder about people and how they don't think when they protest something lol!

Old 05-17-2015, 11:29 AM

366 posts, read 596,498 times
Environmentalists: biting the hand that feeds them since 1962.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:22 PM

2,676 posts, read 2,630,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
They're fine with giving patronage to goods produced in other people's countries that rely on oil, just as long as they don't have to see it in their own city.
I think you've hit the nail on the head, that is my conclusion as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area