Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:59 PM

731 posts, read 932,875 times

Advertisements

Depends on the field. Tech rules here. Outside of that, I'm not sure we pay more here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 03:43 PM

11 posts, read 15,721 times
Your rent budget is ridiculously low. That's what I paid for a one bedroom apt in a basement 10 years ago. And prices have gone up. A lot. I recommend either increasing your rent budget to a more realistic figure or looking to a less urban area. My suggestions would include Olympia and Bellingham for rents as low as you are budgeting. They are developed small cities with lower cost of living and somewhat independent of the inflated Seattle area housing prices. Olympia is the state capitol and home of the Evergreen State College. B'ham has Western Washington University. They also have a lot less to offer than either Seattle or Tacoma, but these are trade-offs. Salaries here PARTIALLY compensate for the higher cost of living.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:48 AM

8,065 posts, read 8,325,306 times
Whether he can afford to live in a particular area depends on whether he's flexible in his housing choices and open to renting a studio, apodment, micro-apartment, or roomshare.

Many of the most desirable areas, such as Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, Fremont, Ballard, etc., are also areas where living car-free is very feasible. That alone can save $500 or more on car payments, insurance, fuel, parking, maintenance, repairs, etc., even if accounting for the cost of a bus pass ($99).

Old 07-02-2015, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavrunner View Post
Your rent budget is ridiculously low. That's what I paid for a one bedroom apt in a basement 10 years ago. And prices have gone up. A lot. I recommend either increasing your rent budget to a more realistic figure or looking to a less urban area. My suggestions would include Olympia and Bellingham for rents as low as you are budgeting. They are developed small cities with lower cost of living and somewhat independent of the inflated Seattle area housing prices. Olympia is the state capitol and home of the Evergreen State College. B'ham has Western Washington University. They also have a lot less to offer than either Seattle or Tacoma, but these are trade-offs. Salaries here PARTIALLY compensate for the higher cost of living.
Hmmm, would you say 1,200.00 rent budget is reasonable for Tacoma or Seattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Whether he can afford to live in a particular area depends on whether he's flexible in his housing choices and open to renting a studio, apodment, micro-apartment, or roomshare.

Many of the most desirable areas, such as Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, Fremont, Ballard, etc., are also areas where living car-free is very feasible. That alone can save $500 or more on car payments, insurance, fuel, parking, maintenance, repairs, etc., even if accounting for the cost of a bus pass ($99).
Since I have a medium sized dog, will that drastically limit my choices?
I also have a car =/. Is the parking and traffic parallel to San Francisco?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:33 PM

338 posts, read 846,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedf View Post
Hmmm, would you say 1,200.00 rent budget is reasonable for Tacoma or Seattle?

Since I have a medium sized dog, will that drastically limit my choices?
I also have a car =/. Is the parking and traffic parallel to San Francisco?
People in this thread have already told you that the avg. rent for a 1 bedroom is higher than your $1200. Can you cut corners by living in an apodment or sharing with roommates, sure, but if you're looking for a bargain, Seattle isn't it.
And yes, having a dog will limit your choices. Most pet friendly places are pricier. Depending on where you live, you'll need to add parking costs for your car as many apartments charge for a space. That's not counting parking at work or elsewhere when you drive.
Parking/traffic is pretty close to San Fran these days.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we get a lot of folks who want to move here and expect the cost of living to be on par with something like Georgia and it's just not gonna happen. :/

Old 07-04-2015, 10:22 AM

7 posts, read 5,221 times
Salaries are better and more relative to the cost of living. You could also look at renting in Issaquah which has relatively the same costs (1600$ for two bedroom) there is a TON of new apartments coming in on the Issaquah Highlands near the hospital which may be a place to get a job (check out Swedish Issaquah)

Yes the PNW is open to more progressive areas of study like you mention.

Issaquah is good because its a straight shot into the city via 1-90 and you have easy access to tons of outdoor trails and hikes. You will have to adjust to grey days in the winter and spring - but overall I cant imagine living anywhere else.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Salaries are better and more relative to the cost of living. You could also look at renting in Issaquah which has relatively the same costs (1600$ for two bedroom) there is a TON of new apartments coming in on the Issaquah Highlands near the hospital which may be a place to get a job (check out Swedish Issaquah)

Yes the PNW is open to more progressive areas of study like you mention.

Issaquah is good because its a straight shot into the city via 1-90 and you have easy access to tons of outdoor trails and hikes. You will have to adjust to grey days in the winter and spring - but overall I cant imagine living anywhere else.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:40 AM

Check out Snoqualmie/Issaquah. Great for outdoors and a straight shot into Bellevue or Seattle.
Better costs of living (but not by much) but extremely scenic with access to lots of outdoor activities.

Also check out Swedish Issaquah for job openings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area