Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:07 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,608 times

Advertisements

Can I just ask some of you guys who can't afford houses here...what type of jobs do you have that are so low paying a $300K house is considered expensive? Wages in Seattle aren't *that* low I can't imagine.

PS - I am by NO means rich (unless you count $60k annual salary as rich?). I just want to be able to comfortably rent a 1 bedroom for no more than $1,500 with my spouse in a decent area. Something that is pretty impossible to do anywhere in the Bay Area at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 06:50 PM

678 posts, read 875,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Can I just ask some of you guys who can't afford houses here...what type of jobs do you have that are so low paying a $300K house is considered expensive? Wages in Seattle aren't *that* low I can't imagine.

PS - I am by NO means rich (unless you count $60k annual salary as rich?). I just want to be able to comfortably rent a 1 bedroom for no more than $1,500 with my spouse in a decent area. Something that is pretty impossible to do anywhere in the Bay Area at the moment.
Finding a decent 1 bedroom for 1,500 or less in Seattle is more than possible with a 60k salary....

Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
Quote:

That one-bedroom was well less than a $1,000 just five years ago...

Old 06-08-2015, 10:45 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
A bit of nostalgia for you. I keep meticulous notes and here is what I paid in rent in Seattle in the 80's:

1980 - 1 BR, modern building, on Bellevue Wy SE just south of the main district $255 per month.
1982 - 1 BR, modern building, on Sand Point Way NE $315 per month.
1986 - 1 BR, mid-century building on lower Capital Hill w/city view $475 per month.
1989 - 1 BR, Northgate area, nice 60's building $450 per month.

Feel free to do your own COL adjustments. My pay during this period was in the 24-29K range.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:27 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Quote:

A $300K house is going to require work in excess of the purchase price. In a lot of areas $300K is below tear down pricing. You're really just buying a lot with a structure at that price, you still have to do a major rehab or pay for demolition and rebuild after buying it.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
A $300K house is going to require work in excess of the purchase price. In a lot of areas $300K is below tear down pricing. You're really just buying a lot with a structure at that price, you still have to do a major rehab or pay for demolition and rebuild after buying it.
But you can also go with a brand new house for that if you go farther out to places like Marysville or Puyallup.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:13 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
A bit of nostalgia for you. I keep meticulous notes and here is what I paid in rent in Seattle in the 80's:

1980 - 1 BR, modern building, on Bellevue Wy SE just south of the main district $255 per month.
1982 - 1 BR, modern building, on Sand Point Way NE $315 per month.
1986 - 1 BR, mid-century building on lower Capital Hill w/city view $475 per month.
1989 - 1 BR, Northgate area, nice 60's building $450 per month.

Feel free to do your own COL adjustments. My pay during this period was in the 24-29K range.
I don't remember what our pay was but we rented a four bedroom house in Bellevue in the early 90s for $1100.

I would still take the $300K tear down closer in over the new build further out.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:43 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Quote:

For me, it is a cultural thing. I came from an area where you can easily buy a nice house for under $200k. If you want all the bells and whistles, $300k will cover that nicely. I just don't think most homes are worth more than that and am not willing to pay it. I'd sooner move back to the Midwest than pay what people are asking here and will probably end up doing that in a few years.

Also, I am not interested in being house poor. I am not interested in being a slave to my employer, dependent on making a large sum of money per month for the privilege of living in my overpriced house for the next 15-30 years. Being someone that has had the joy of being laid off a bunch of times yeah, I am pretty risk adverse in this department and want to keep all of my base expenses as low as possible. Buying is way more expensive for me than renting in the Seattle area, so not interested in buying.

Seattle probably seems cheap coming from SF, but if you are like me and coming from the Midwest, it can be pretty expensive in some areas. Real estate is way more expensive, water/sewer is way more expensive, liquor is way more expensive, car insurance is more expensive, gasoline is more expensive, higher education is more expensive, groceries are somewhat more expensive. Strangely enough, the costs of renting a SFH are similar to what they would be where I came from and also there is no state income tax here that makes a difference.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
For me, it is a cultural thing. I came from an area where you can easily buy a nice house for under $200k. If you want all the bells and whistles, $300k will cover that nicely. I just don't think most homes are worth more than that and am not willing to pay it. I'd sooner move back to the Midwest than pay what people are asking here and will probably end up doing that in a few years.

Also, I am not interested in being house poor. I am not interested in being a slave to my employer, dependent on making a large sum of money per month for the privilege of living in my overpriced house for the next 15-30 years. Being someone that has had the joy of being laid off a bunch of times yeah, I am pretty risk adverse in this department and want to keep all of my base expenses as low as possible. Buying is way more expensive for me than renting in the Seattle area, so not interested in buying.

Seattle probably seems cheap coming from SF, but if you are like me and coming from the Midwest, it can be pretty expensive in some areas. Real estate is way more expensive, water/sewer is way more expensive, liquor is way more expensive, car insurance is more expensive, gasoline is more expensive, higher education is more expensive, groceries are somewhat more expensive. Strangely enough, the costs of renting a SFH are similar to what they would be where I came from and also there is no state income tax here that makes a difference.
Yup. If you don't value being in Seattle enough to pay the premium, go somewhere more affordable. Those of us that value what Seattle has to offer bite the bullet and stick around.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:51 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
That one-bedroom was well less than a $1,000 just five years ago...
So?

The economy and job market were terrible 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area