Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 05:12 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neitousama View Post
I never asked if they could get "Transferred" the other gentleman who replied talking about living on a farm was the one who used that term, please don't misrepresent what I am asking/saying.

I asked if there was state assistance there that I could, "Qualify" for, just until I can get myself on my feet.

Also I understand it's an expensive city but I also know about the outskirts having more a more affordable cost of living, again referencing Marlborough, MA, it's cost of living is just slightly more expensive than Arizona's is and it's a mere 30 mins outside of Boston.
I don't understand the concept of taxpayer funded moves. We supported ourselves from very young and this concept of choosing an expensive city because it appeals to you but coming with no money or job and wanting assistance is just bizarre to me. There are less expensive cities, why Seattle of all places? I know Marlborough, that is not 30 minutes outside of Boston. If you want something comparable to Marlborough, you're looking at Tacoma. And that's not 30 minutes outside of Seattle either.

It is not for me to judge your life or your choices but this idea that at 25, you still are looking to find yourself and you use assistance as a backup - that is a luxury that few take. Not wanting to commit to a degree choice, four colleges, now move to Seattle but no money or job, as Crazy Donkey said, it sounds like a recipe for being homeless and standing on the side of the road with a sign. Why not Portland? That city is at least less expensive and certainly the suburbs outside of Portland will be less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 05:24 PM

17 posts, read 20,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't understand the concept of taxpayer funded moves. We supported ourselves from very young and this concept of choosing an expensive city because it appeals to you but coming with no money or job and wanting assistance is just bizarre to me. There are less expensive cities, why Seattle of all places? I know Marlborough, that is not 30 minutes outside of Boston. If you want something comparable to Marlborough, you're looking at Tacoma. And that's not 30 minutes outside of Seattle either.

It is not for me to judge your life or your choices but this idea that at 25, you still are looking to find yourself and you use assistance as a backup - that is a luxury that few take. Not wanting to commit to a degree choice, four colleges, now move to Seattle but no money or job, as Crazy Donkey said, it sounds like a recipe for being homeless and standing on the side of the road with a sign. Why not Portland? That city is at least less expensive and certainly the suburbs outside of Portland will be less.

I already explained why Seattle, I did lots of research regarding the state, I actually was originally wanting to move to Boston, MA but I was also looking up other cities with similar traits, (I.E low unemployment, higher wages, low uninsured) and found that Seattle also fell into that category, being that they are both port states, unless I am mistaken, a lot of their business is garnered through the need of trade.

I also am inquiring about assistance because I know it'll probably take that to get myself started and on my feet, what's with this disdain towards assistance? I have never seen so many people against it, I am not asking for welfare checks or SSI, assistance is usually only food and medical, I am a somewhat healthy guy despite my weight and I don't normally use medical for anything aside from my appointments for my mental health.

Hence another reason I am asking because I am on medication and my psychiatrist here helps me greatly but I am unsure of how things are in other states because the medication I am on is for ADHD and it's greatly stigmatized because of it's abuse by people who don't need it or just use it to get high.

Where is Portland and what is offered there? I only saw three places that I considered while doing research, Boston, MA, Seattle, WA and North Dakota. All have low unemployment, all have higher wages and all have low uninsured.

Also it's not that I don't want to, "Commit" to a college, you're creating these brash assumptions about me which makes me question why you don't simply ask instead of jumping to conclusions. It's that I don't know what to pursue because each and every time I tried I couldn't make it and I don't know exactly what career I want to dedicate my life to.

I mean honestly, it makes more sense to actually go into a career with an idea of what one would want to do rather than just not knowing at all.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Well... to be completely honest farm jobs aren't really my forte. I am more of a computer kind of guy, plus if you can't already tell by how I am talking I'm not really the kind of man that puts shovel to dirt....I'm out of shape and that was never in my make-up to be a hard laborer type, just not who I am, I prefer to use my intelligence over brawn and endurance.

well... let us know how that works out for you!

I have always had to WORK (i.e. labor), it was OK for me on single hourly income and retirement by age 49.

I was very light of frame and never fit a shovel real well either.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:34 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
I mean honestly, it makes more sense to actually go into a career with an idea of what one would want to do rather than just not knowing at all.
You're already 25, when do you anticipate this vision coming to you? If you come here living in your car, just know that the misery was all predictable. There are less expensive places and if you read here, the cost of renting is fairly expensive and getting more so all the time.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:41 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
You don't want to move to Portland either. There is no good paying work in that city.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:06 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
I'm not pulling your leg but I have seen many of my friends move to WA and make a living for themselves, now whether or not they do it alone I am not sure but I am not the type to just sit back and get assistance while doing nothing to persevere, I've been on my own since 18, mom kicked me out, and while my living hasn't been luxurious I have been successful in surviving, Arizona is NOT the place to be at all...I've done so much research into this it's not even funny.
So you say (I'm still far from convinced)...

Just hypothetically assuming you're legit: As long as you're collecting benefits (SSI?), you're not surviving on your own. You'll need a place to live to find even a minimum wage job. You'll need a job to find a place to live. Even a roommate situation will want landlord and employment references. Unless your friends are willing to put you up for the first six months...

The $15 minimum wage won't be fully phased in for several years, and then only in Seattle. Every low-skill worker in the county, and apparently many from around the country, if you're any indication, will be chasing those jobs. If you consider Seattle's rapidly escalating COL, it's pretty much a wash.

Here's where you'll probably end up living:

Old 06-07-2015, 08:16 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Unlike many who have Seattle dreams and little income, you write really well. You seem articulate and educated and from reading it appears that intelligence and lack of initiative isn't your problem as much as whatever psychological battles you've got going on. I have an autistic son boarder line co-morbid with ADD. I've read the literature and statistics about individuals with ADHD and they're not very encouraging... People responding negatively here would be wise to hold back judgements when this sort of personality profile emerges.

And I really need to retract my advice of just jumping in the car and driving up. No way. You absolutely are in no state of making that kind of transition. Please listen. It's far too risky...

You run an incredible risk of ending up in our mentally ill homeless population. Maybe in the end that's what you want, but if you really, honest-to-God want a proper life, it's going to take an incredible amount of willpower, supervision and support.. BEFORE you even attempt to get here. You need to contact social services for state, county and municipality..

None of us that frequent the Seattle forum can give you any more advice or recommendation. It's not something most of us have experienced.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,309 times
Quote:
I also am inquiring about assistance because I know it'll probably take that to get myself started and on my feet, what's with this disdain towards assistance? I have never seen so many people against it, I am not asking for welfare checks or SSI, assistance is usually only food and medical, I am a somewhat healthy guy despite my weight and I don't normally use medical for anything aside from my appointments for my mental health.
Food and medical is still taxpayer-funded. We're the taxpayers. I'd guess I'm not the only one who doesn't want to finance an ill-advised move by someone with no skills, education or prospects.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
So you say (I'm still far from convinced)...

Just hypothetically assuming you're legit: As long as you're collecting benefits (SSI?), you're not surviving on your own. You'll need a place to live to find even a minimum wage job. You'll need a job to find a place to live. Even a roommate situation will want landlord and employment references. Unless your friends are willing to put you up for the first six months...

The $15 minimum wage won't be fully phased in for several years, and then only in Seattle. Every low-skill worker in the county, and apparently many from around the country, if you're any indication, will be chasing those jobs. If you consider Seattle's rapidly escalating COL, it's pretty much a wash.

Here's where you'll probably end up living:
Ok, I'm going with the notion that either you just don't read posts in their entirety or you simply see what you want to see, I am not on SSI it was an example I used to demonstrate that I am not just slacking around living off the government.

Also I already know about the 15$ an hour raise that will happen over the course of the next few years, same with San Diego when they passed the same minimum wage hike, but only in San Diego not all of California.

Also, excuse me but I am not a, "low-skill" worker, if I was I would've never obtained the 18$/hour job at CitiMortgage, nor would I have excelled in my team as one of the fastest for, "Wrap Time." Basically the ability to fully resolve any mortgage related issue, whether it was changing the interest rate by means of H.A.R.P (depending on who held the loan for the house, it can range from banks to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac), initiating a short-sale or going through the MAT tool, (mortgage assistance tool) and compiling all the bills/information given into a black screen with green text to select the best possible outcome for the client with the mortgage.

I may have let my arrogance get the best of me but at that time, I was a very diligent worker with great skill level. I don't bounce around from McDonald's to McDonald's hoping to find a minimum wage job that pays me the glorious high wage I have been looking for, I have been trying to find a job that has a decent wage, that I can learn something in and demonstrate my abilities/skills. I am unable to demonstrate my capabilities and abilities in a job that rewards subservience over free-thinking but also doesn't welcome leadership qualities. Just another grunt ant worker, working for the queen.

Pardon my ignorance but I am unfamiliar with these term, "COL" mind elaborating on that a little? If it's not too much to ask.

Last edited by neitousama; 06-07-2015 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika330 View Post
Food and medical is still taxpayer-funded. We're the taxpayers. I'd guess I'm not the only one who doesn't want to finance an ill-advised move by someone with no skills, education or prospects.

I never claimed it wasn't, I am simply stating I am not receiving that IN ADDITION to monetary support, (I.E SSI, Welfare check etc) that in every other way besides the aforementioned, I am managing to support myself.

Also, you're not "Financing" someone's move by them being able to get the NECESSITIES they need to survive, geez you fit well into the dogma of the wealthy get wealthier and the ones on the bottom die off and don't get the necessary care they need. The financing aspect would be completely taken care of by myself, also had you taken the time to read anything else regarding my post you would know I do have skills, I have basic education and there's many people who have no plans for the future.

Last edited by neitousama; 06-07-2015 at 10:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area