Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 14,417 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've lived in Washington my whole life, but this is only my second year fluttering about on my own, so I'm nigh clueless about housing and situations outside of Puyallup and Buckley. I currently live in Federal Way, but want to live a bit farther north, as I work in SeaTac (across the street).

My problem is, my boyfriend and I have a very small budget, and frankly $1000 is pushing it for rent. Of course I've done my research, but it seems like everwhere that's in our budget and a decent size is in a ghetto, or halfway to rotting under the tenant's feet... maybe I'm setting myself up for failure for needing a washer/dryer in unit, but surely there's SOMEWHERE that won't get us robbed, shot, or bankrupted?

Can anyone help me? I've poked around the site before and y'all seem very nice, so I'm entrusting my future with you guys

--Shippinu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 03:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Was there a size you have to have? 2 bedroom? I bet a nice one bedroom you can look around anywhere MUCH better than Sea Tac Area - will you go around CApital Hill? Or maybe north of downtown by UW or better neighborhoods?? $1000 will be fine, but asking for a washer/dryer too is stretching it...

Old 08-28-2007, 03:56 PM

Thank you for replying As for size, I suppose at this point as long as it can hold two people we'll have to make do, but having laundry in unit is key for me... I can't take hiking up and down stairs every half hour and hoping everyone else doesn't need to do laundry that day anymore. But hey! It doesn't have to be SeaTac per se. I suppose opinions of general areas would give me an idea of where to look... Renton, Kent, Auburn, possibly farther north.... I'm hesitant to go for Seattle, since I'm uncomfortable in big cities, and it seems like such a hassle.

At this point I'm starting to panic, as I have 2 months and nothing to turn to besides the miserable place I have now. Surely there's something decent for non-section 8 and non-6-figure incomes?

Old 08-28-2007, 05:56 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
look into Kent, Renton, and Auburn - that will be better

have you tried Craigslist?

Old 08-28-2007, 08:44 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
The Sea-Tac area is not the best area to rent in. Don't know the stats, but my belief is crime is higher near the airport. I know that 25 years ago, this was no-mans land...prostitution, robbery, etc. If it has changed, please somebody correct me.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:21 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Sea-Tac has improved quite a bit since the dark ages when prositution was rife and the Green River Killer prowled the strip. The installation of police cameras and the beautification of Pacific Highway South has helped a lot. Still not a terrific area by any means, but much improved.

You might look into Burien. It's a very short drive from Sea-Tac and since it's not a major throughway to anywhere else it tends to be kind of forgotten. Furthermore, it's currently undergoing a substantial renaissance focused around a brand-new town center going up that will really enliven the very nicest part of town (the area around 152nd st and 4th ave). Already a number of very nice restaurants and outdoor cafes have cropped up and the general area near there feels very safe indeed. Historically Burien has lacked a true downtown since most development has occured along the 1st Ave S strip (which has had no character) with the new development of 152nd and the push to improve the overall look of 1st Ave (which still has a long way to go) I think Buriens' future is very, very bright.

At this point rents should still be pretty reasonable (I think within your budget) - though over time that may well change. Though obviously not all areas of Burien are improving as quickly and dramatically as the focused area of development, in general the area is improving pretty well and is MUCH better than it was 16 years ago when I first moved to this general part of the Seattle area.

Not sure about the likelyhood of finding an in-unit washer & drier though. I think the Terrace View apartments have them (not completely sure) and I've driven past the units and they look pretty nice. Not sure how much they rent for though.

Anyway, you may want to check out the Burien area in general and see what you can find.

Ken

Old 09-01-2007, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,852 times
Hey Ken [ Lord Balfor] Thanks For The Info On Burien ,wa I Am From Kentucky And I Am Going To Take The 2495 Mile Plunge To Burien In Feb 2008 . Once Again Thanks For The Info

Old 09-01-2007, 08:46 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Kenbrookins -

Glad I could help. I am pretty up on the place. After years of lanquishing, I have to say that it's really starting to change. It really shouldn't surprise anyone I guess since there is such big money just to the west of there, where there are lots and lots of big, expensive homes on the cliffs overlooking Puget Sound - and for many of them Burien is their closest commercial center. In hindsight, I'm kind'a surprised it took so long for things to start happening.

Have a safe trip out here and good hunting for a place to stay.

Ken

Old 01-24-2008, 07:15 PM

FINALLY figured out how to find my own post >_>

Thank you all for replying!! I actually got lucky and found an awesome apartment in Kent. (Swiss Gables- one of the really good ones)

Anyway, kinda feel stupid now, but I really appreciate your replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area