Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 02:27 PM

977 posts, read 1,011,517 times

Advertisements

So how did Bellevue become full of skyscrapers? When I lived here before I moved it was just the mall and that was it! So how dose some place go from just having a mall to having skyscrapers and all these companies there? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 03:20 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
I remember when Bellevue had one stop-light...

Old 06-19-2015, 03:48 PM

520 posts, read 532,321 times
All Seattle suburb development follows the same pattern. We dont have distinct cities here really. Its basically suburban sprawl that extended farther and farther over King and Snohomish counties. As areas became established, cities were incorporated. Usually small at first and including mostly just the main shopping drag of that area and then after the growth management act, large areas of unincorporated king and snohomish counties were annexed into the core of towns that were close. As far as downtown Bellevue, as the population grew and the eastside grew, the main drag was developed to support a larger and larger population. And height restrictions were reduced, so the towers got taller.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 PM

426 posts, read 527,002 times
Lots of great business there, wanting to escape the madness of downtown Seattle.

When Microsoft first relocated its HQ back near the emerald city, they actually moved to Bellevue initially (next to Burgermaster on Northup Way). Sierra Online was also in Bellevue, plus Valve (created by ex-Microsofties, along with some ex-Sierra employees) and Expedia (formerly Microsoft)

Given it's proximity to Seattle proper, I don't think it's any surprise that lots of business moved there.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
When I started my business there in late 1992, there were just a few. The mid-late 90s saw a sea of big yellow cranes as big Class A office buildings went up, then the highrise condos right up to about 2006. More were planned when the recession hit, some have started back up, others like that strip center on 106th and 2nd, where most of the tenants were evicted for construction but the place was never bulldozed so now they have new tenants.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:24 PM

977 posts, read 1,011,517 times
thanka for all your answers everyone! A little off topic but last night I was in Bellevue so that's why I asked this question, today I went into downtown Seattle and I realized how different they are. I personally feel like Bellevue is just a business district almost like it was planned, almost like a unorganic growth. Do you guys get what I'm trying to say? But I feel like Seattle has a true natural city feel too it. It might be because Bellevue is way smaller so that might just be the way small cities feel. But Tacoma to me feels "real" it doesn't feel busy like Seattle but it like feels real sorry I'm not sure how to describe this feeling! Dose anyone get what I'm trying to say or feel the same way?

Old 06-19-2015, 10:59 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
thanka for all your answers everyone! A little off topic but last night I was in Bellevue so that's why I asked this question, today I went into downtown Seattle and I realized how different they are. I personally feel like Bellevue is just a business district almost like it was planned, almost like a unorganic growth. Do you guys get what I'm trying to say? But I feel like Seattle has a true natural city feel too it. It might be because Bellevue is way smaller so that might just be the way small cities feel. But Tacoma to me feels "real" it doesn't feel busy like Seattle but it like feels real sorry I'm not sure how to describe this feeling! Dose anyone get what I'm trying to say or feel the same way?
I seriously hated Bellevue when I first moved here in 2011. I wanted NOTHING to do with it, but I would say by year 2 I started finding it more and more enjoyable. I think I was just overwhelmed by the glitzy confrontational wealth it exudes.. especially since we had just come from rather rural and economically depressed central Michigan where you can buy a darling early 20th century arts and crafts style home in decent condition for $40k. To be sure I am still startled by it (especially around Main St as of late... what's up with that???), but I guess you could say I've been desensitized. I really appreciate being able to walk around with my children and not be engulfed by homeless vagabonds or other disagreeable types that elicit difficult questions and conversations from my children that I simply don't feel like answering on a relaxing Saturday afternoon. Actually, that's probably why I like all of the Eastside... it's just nice... In Seattle it's a roll of the dice... today I was at the playground in Ravenna and we had a polite man with 6 grocery bags sitting on a bench next to us having the most lively conversation... with himself

Bellevue is younger and came of age when the automobile industry was very developed so it's not going to have that old world charm and character. I really can't think of a single city of substantial character that came into being after planning and development was car-centric. This is why Tacoma feels more "real" than Bellevue. You should read about urban planning, especially how the oil and car industries jumped in bed with the government to force the creation of the American suburb. True story.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:13 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
flyingsaucermom, that guy was most likely and actor rehearsing his lines. I understand what you are saying but for many, the Seattle side is preferable, with it's access to all that is good about Seattle. My little family lives in Phinney Ridge, quiet, wonderful, charming, walking distance to most of what we love. We do have an off color interaction once in awhile, we see it as an opportunity to teach our daughter about the world. We have taken it a step farther and now volunteer together in a food bank as a family.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:33 AM

426 posts, read 527,002 times
I smell a Seattle vs. Eastside battle brewing

Ready? ..Fight!

Old 06-20-2015, 09:37 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Nope, CityWok, both places are great, just different. People find their place in life that makes them happy, that's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area