Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:39 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times

Advertisements

amazon's salary cap is $165k now? it was $150k that last time i checked. but in any case, as you move higher up, your total compensation is based mostly on RSU not base salary anyway.

RSU vesting period is set up such as very little vests after year 1, little vests after year 2, and then the majority of it vests in years 3 and 4. so you really need to stay for 4 years to get your initial stock vest. but they do have cash bonuses for years 1 and 2 to make up (or nobody senior level would go).

when people were leaving after 17 months, the stock price was relatively stagnant. for the past few months when the stock price has shot up, you have much less reason to leave since your compensation (golden handcuffs) are pretty strong.

and if the stock price ever falls a lot? you'll see a mass exodus.

Last edited by RVD90277; 06-25-2015 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 02:29 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
amazon's salary cap is $165k now? it was $150k that last time i checked. but in any case, as you move higher up, your total compensation is based mostly on RSU not base salary anyway.

RSU vesting period is set up such as very little vests after year 1, little vests after year 2, and then the majority of it vests in years 3 and 4. so you really need to stay for 4 years to get your initial stock vest. but they do have cash bonuses for years 1 and 2 to make up (or nobody senior level would go).

when people were leaving after 17 months, the stock price was relatively stagnant. for the past few months when the stock price has shot up, you have much less reason to leave since your compensation (golden handcuffs) are pretty strong.

and if the stock price ever falls a lot? you'll see a mass exodus.
Yep, it is capped at $165k (as of last month )

Here's an example:

Senior technical product manager

Base: $155k
1st year: $48 cash bonus spread over 12 months
2nd year:$36k cash bonus spread over 12 months
... then RSU really kicks in...

Old 06-25-2015, 03:04 PM

ah nice. bezos finally approved a base salary increase after these years.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:39 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,182 times
For some people, being happy is not a priority. They are willing to subject themselves to a life that they dislike for varying reasons that may be hard to explain. Sometimes it's for the sake of their families and sometimes it's because they've simply grown into the company and don't have the energy to even think of looking for another job. After a while, the convenience of knowing your job well and being established in the company takes precedence over being happy at a new job.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:37 AM

That is all true.

I am generation X and one of the knocks against my generation when I was in my 20s was that we were a generation that valued our own happiness more than our careers and future. This is why so many of us worked at places like blockbuster video when we were in our 20s with no prospects of ever buying a home, getting married, having kids, etc...instead we worked a little bit, hung out with friends most evenings, went out on weekends, etc. Many of us really did have no ambition.

Now I wasn't like that but I knew many folks who were. The responsible thing is to think about your future and invest in you future even if it means doing things today that you'd rather not do today. Of course it's a lot easier and happier to hang out with friends and watch TV but if you want to invest in your future you go to college or take classes, get degrees, work your way up the ladder at various corporations, try to get internships and even work internships that don't pay, take jobs at companies with low pay and late hours, etc.

I do ok in my 40s and have a lot more fun and stability today even though it meant that in my 20s I was out working on nights and weekends while others were out having more fun. Those folks who had a lot of fun in their 20s aren't so well off. Likewise, I know other folks in their 40s having a lot more fun than I do today but I also save for retirement, etc. and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm having more fun in my 60s, etc.

Being happy is a priority but it's balanced with future goals as well. If all I cared about was being happy, I'd quit my job and instead just stay home all day, get some more sleep, tinker with my hobbies, and maybe make ends meet by doing stuff like yard work, build bikes, etc. But doing that today will screw me later...

As for Amazon, it's for people who think that it's a great opportunity long term because it is.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:37 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
While Amazon has earned its reputation as a tough environment, none of the many friends I have who have worked there have anything bad to say about it. They all say rather nice things. Although it's true that they eventually left, they didn't do so with bitterness.

Why did they stay working there as long as they did? Pay, experience, the chance to learn new things in an environment that exists very few other places, and a chance to see your work have an effect on the world around you.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:23 PM

192 posts, read 423,955 times
Macklamore & Ryan Lewis are performing this year for Employees to mark 20 years! woot woot

Old 06-27-2015, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie181 View Post
Macklamore & Ryan Lewis are performing this year for Employees to mark 20 years! woot woot
nice!

imagine dragons performed at the holiday party back in december 2012 and it was awesome.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:21 AM

779 posts, read 928,048 times
Like with a lot of jobs... People stay at jobs they hate because they want to be able to provide for themselves and their family if they have one, and they don't want to be out on the street.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:38 AM

563 posts, read 1,787,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Like with a lot of jobs... People stay at jobs they hate because they want to be able to provide for themselves and their family if they have one, and they don't want to be out on the street.
That is true if you have a dead end job. Fact is, engineers are in demand in Seattle area, getting a new job is quite easy. Its the golden handcuffs that folks stay. Tenure pays over time, because after so many years, you are vesting five lots of whatever every year, you have more vacation time, etc. If you leave, you have to start over - vesting periods, vacation, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: