Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,525 times

Advertisements

Hello

Hope everyone is fine and happy

I'm moving to Seattle on December, and I that kind of people who really like to read everything related to my next step. ( BAD THING BTW )

anyway,

I need ur opinion about the safety rate in ( north gate neighborhood)
I'll study in University of Washington.. so is it far from the northgate ?
would u recommend any other neighborhood ( safe ) in seattle ?

what is the good and bad things in Northgate neighborhood ?

how much does cost per month ? I mean electricity .... water, gas .......etc ?
supermarkets ? is the food expensive ?

Per month how much u spend ? ( food, pills, ...etc )

the weather in December is it too cold ? do i need to wear special snow boots ?and rain boots ? ( no snow in my country )

Please if u have any recommendation or any advise , I'll be thankful

regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 11:30 AM

50 posts, read 92,064 times
Northgate is fine. There are lots of buses to the U District (university area) from there. I'd look up current rents. There are a lot of apartments near there.

Snow boots? Really? I don't mean to be mean, but have you done any reading about where you're moving? No, you don't need snow boots. If it snows enough to need snow boots, the university will almost certainly be shut down.

Rain boots? Not needed. Most folks don't wear them. Women often wear boots with jeans, but they're not usually rain boots unless it's raining unusually hard. It doesn't rain very hard most of the time. If you're commuting via public transit and walking, it would be useful to have a pair of waterproof shoes for very wet days. Again, most of the time you won't need them.

Most people wear light winter coats or polar fleece jackets in the winter. Highs in winter are usually mid 40s to mid 50s. Lows are low to mid 40s, unless it's clear, when it will often frost. Clear nights are pretty much the only times we get frost.

Is food expensive? I guess it depends on what you're eating and where you're comparing it to. Groceries tend to be more expensive here than in the midwest. I find produce is more expensive than in Canada, but meat/dairy is cheaper here.

Electricity is billed every two months here. It's cheaper than many places in the country, but those of us who live here have seen our rates rise a lot over the past couple decades and don't think it's cheap any more. Your opinion may vary.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:37 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,240,877 times
You don't need rain boots, but a jacket with a hood, or a hat is useful to wear in December.
Combined with rain and wind, Seattle can feel raw and unpleasant in December.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:08 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,292,521 times
The weather is very variable. Wear layers - warm pants/skirt, shirt/blouse, sweater, jacket, scarf, hat, gloves, etc. If it warms up, take off a layer; gets chilly, put one on. A good rain hat is better than an umbrella.

I'd also look in the U District, Wallingford, Roosevelt, Ravenna, Bryant, etc., for housing.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:11 PM

102,062 posts, read 106,967,400 times
If you're going to be a UW student, why did you choose Northgate? Will you be looking for an apt., or do you already have a friend or relative to live with? Because it might be easier for you to live in a dorm on campus, at least for the first trimester or two, while you gain some familiarity with the city. Northgate is about 20 minutes by bus from the UW.

I'm going to disagree about the rain gear question. It depends on how far you have to walk to the bus, and on the rain. If it's heavy rain (as opposed to fine mist or drizzle), you'll need rain boots and a waterproof raincoat (not just water-repellant, like most). People say Seattle doesn't get heavy rain, but that isn't true. But you can wait and see, and buy boots, etc. after you arrive, if you find it necessary.

Whether or not winters are cold depends on where you're coming from. If you're coming from Sochi, or California, winters are very cold. If you're coming from Moscow or North Dakota, or Canada, winters aren't cold. It snows usually once per each winter, but the snow doesn't last long (a few days or a week, max. ).

Old 06-25-2015, 08:03 PM

102 posts, read 117,490 times
If you are living in Northgate for family reasons, have a roommate or something already, then it is OK. There is a Northgate Transit Center where you can find buses to all over, including UW. The Northgate area is probably safe enough, but it is a very busy area with a big mix of people. There's a huge shopping mall and a lot of businesses around that area. I don't think I would choose to live there if I didn't have some reason like family helping me out. If you don't have a reason to live there, you might want to live closer to UW. The U District is where many UW students live. This would be much more convenient, especially if you aren't bringing a car.

Rents in Seattle are fairly expensive, so if you have a lower budget, you probably want to find a roommate or go to a place called Apodments (which is more like a room than an apartment) or some other boarding house style place. I think you can get a short-term lease at Apodments too, if you want a place to stay at first before deciding. If you look on Craigslist, be careful if you see an ad that is much cheaper than the others. There are rent scams on Craigslist.

About the rain gear and boots- Very few people actually wear "rain boots," but it's a good idea to have some kind of boots or shoes that come up over your ankles and repel water. It does get chilly and wet in the winter and if you are from a hot country, you definitely will get a chill. Also, you need a waterproof jacket with a hood, and don't bother carrying an umbrella- no one does here. Don't buy a jacket that is a "winter" jacket for snow or skiiing because those are too heavy for Seattle. You want to buy one that is for rain and "waterproof" and then if it gets too cold you wear a sweater or fleece jacket underneath. One more thing you might need as a student is a waterproof or water resistant backpack or bookbag.

Seattle can be an expensive city, but you can find good deals on food and other things you need if you learn which stores are cheaper and more expensive. Also in the U District there are quite a few restaurants that are not too expensive if you want a treat. Many of the restaurants are Vietnamese or Indian, but there are also American restaurants there.

Most expensive grocery stores: PCC, Whole Foods, Metropolitan Market
Middle price: QFC, Trader Joes
Cheaper: Fred Meyer
Cheapest: Grocery Outlet (be careful because some food there is old)

Google Metro Transit- That is the bus system and you will want to check the bus routes if you will not have a car. You can get a discount for being a UW student. That program is called U-Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: