Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:06 PM

4 posts, read 3,727 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm a 38 year old Guy African American Male who currently resides in Niagara Falls/Buffalo area, and im looking to make a change to a new city. after a fair amount of himing and Hawing I decided on Tacoma/Seattle. im looking for a diverse area with different peoples and cultures. I lived in Ontario for a few years so I can pretty much get along with anyone. so my question is what are some decent neighborhoods where the rent wont kill me and neither will the neighbors( that be nice)

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 08:54 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
For less expensive rent in a diverse urban area, look at Tacoma. The Hilltop neighborhood used to be "gang central", but is now an up and coming area that is rapidly being gentrified. Other areas to look: Downtown, Stadium, Old Town, Ruston, West Tacoma.

You can find 1-bd apartments in Tacoma for under $850:

Rental Listings in Tacoma WA - 31 Rentals | Zillow

Old 07-01-2015, 09:29 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Colombia City neighborhood of Seattle, great place!

Old 07-02-2015, 07:07 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwynn1977 View Post
Hello,
I'm a 38 year old Guy African American Male who currently resides in Niagara Falls/Buffalo area, and im looking to make a change to a new city. after a fair amount of himing and Hawing I decided on Tacoma/Seattle. im looking for a diverse area with different peoples and cultures. I lived in Ontario for a few years so I can pretty much get along with anyone. so my question is what are some decent neighborhoods where the rent wont kill me and neither will the neighbors( that be nice)

thanks
Define "rent won't kill me" - ie what is your budget? What size apt do you need?

Old 07-02-2015, 09:37 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
I lived in Ontario for a few years so I can pretty much get along with anyone

Even those dreaded Canadians?

Old 07-16-2015, 01:56 PM

Default my budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
For less expensive rent in a diverse urban area, look at Tacoma. The Hilltop neighborhood used to be "gang central", but is now an up and coming area that is rapidly being gentrified. Other areas to look: Downtown, Stadium, Old Town, Ruston, West Tacoma.

You can find 1-bd apartments in Tacoma for under $850:

Rental Listings in Tacoma WA - 31 Rentals | Zillow
650 to 700 is my limit for the moment and still be able to cover everything.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:57 PM

Lol I was married to one of them, there not so bad....most of them lol

Old 07-16-2015, 03:50 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
For a one-bedroom? That's low, if you want to live in a decent area. $700-850 is more realistic, in the Tacoma-Puyallup-Federal Way and the Everett-Lynnwood areas.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:38 PM

102 posts, read 118,095 times
Quote:
Your rent budget concerns me. You might need to find a roommate situation or live in microhousing on that budget. (AKA Apodments). Although being a single guy just starting in a new city, maybe Apodments appeal to you? They are very small studios and tend to be in the more urban parts of Seattle with a lot going on.

No offense to the person who suggested Hilltop, but I'd be wary of any "up and coming" areas in Tacoma. Tacoma can get pretty rough and "up and coming" neighborhoods in this area sometimes get stuck in the "pre-gentrification" phase lol. Seattle/Tacoma is not known for getting infrastructure done in a timely manner. LOL

The South end of Seattle and its suburbs tend to be more diverse. However, overall there are not that many African-Americans anywhere in Seattle. It's a very white/Asian city. That having been said, for the most part people get along. One of my best friends is black and I am not going to lie, as we all know racism is not dead, and on rare occasions people do say stupid **** to her, but it's very rare. For the most part life is just normal for everyone. People here are sort of trained to be more accepting of those unlike themselves so even if they are having a racist thought, they are more likely to keep it to themselves. We are much more likely to judge people if they say they are a Republican or if they fail to sort their garbage in the proper manner, haha

Seattle is a beautiful place to live, but it's also an expensive place to live. I might look at some other options before deciding to move out here unless you have a good job lined up or family or someone out here. I have a really good job yet I am considering leaving because of the cost of living. It's difficult to get ahead.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 AM

Cool Thanks for the heads up

I appreciate the cander, as far as dealing with idiots. .. I tend to avoid them or get them out of my face pretty effectively as for any rough neiborhoods. I was a army Sgt and a former ranger. As well as martial artist. So I can handle my self well. I also have very careful am it's my surroundings. I figure IF I KEEP my wits about me and just let natural charm take its course lol I should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area