Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:09 AM

13 posts, read 217,391 times

Advertisements

I'm now afraid to move to Seattle after reading most of the posts on "I don't recommend Seattle as your home." I'm not sure if people are friendly since it sounds like most of them don't want outsiders. I currently live south of DC in the suburbs. It is not bad. I do love the area we live in, but don't love the house we live in. My husband just apply for a job at Boeing in Seattle. I'm not too crazy about it since I'm originally from Texas and it seems further away from my family that I'm very close with. But it is more of what my husband wants. He is not very happy with the people he works with right now and can't see raising our children in the DC area. He has made other attempts to apply for jobs in other states, but no luck. One question I do have, Does Seattle have a high rate of suicide or people who are depressed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 09:21 AM

72 posts, read 300,340 times
Hey there, SSSS. My wife, newborn and I are moving to Seattle this year, and we've very excited. Do NOT let a very small number of anonymous posters on an internet message board dissuade you. We found the people in the Seattle area to be very nice and friendly when we visited, our friends who live there really like it and find it to provide a nice quality of life for raising a family, and it's a physically beautiful area of the country.

The best way for you to guage Seattle and its environs is to visit. Should you relocate here, you and your family can always change if it's bad.

All cities have long lists of plusses and minuses. At the end of it all, it's a personal decision based on what you like and don't like in a region. Also, so much of it depends upon your outlook. There are happy and unhappy people everywhere, and that's based much more on their individual nature than on their location.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBorn View Post
Hey there, SSSS. My wife, newborn and I are moving to Seattle this year, and we've very excited. Do NOT let a very small number of anonymous posters on an internet message board dissuade you. We found the people in the Seattle area to be very nice and friendly when we visited, our friends who live there really like it and find it to provide a nice quality of life for raising a family, and it's a physically beautiful area of the country.

The best way for you to guage Seattle and its environs is to visit. Should you relocate here, you and your family can always change if it's bad.

All cities have long lists of plusses and minuses. At the end of it all, it's a personal decision based on what you like and don't like in a region. Also, so much of it depends upon your outlook. There are happy and unhappy people everywhere, and that's based much more on their individual nature than on their location.

Seattle looks beautiful in photos and thanks for the positive reply. At least I won't be the only transplant if we do move. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:48 AM

108 posts, read 386,962 times
That high suicide rate myth comes from some article that says Tacoma was America's most stressful city in 2006 or something.

The state ranks somewhere around 19th overall in suicide rates.

However, it's no myth that people who have (or maybe who have and don't know it yet) Seasonal Affective Disorder get depressed by the overcast weather much of the year here.

Some people say that it's difficult to make friends here and that people are less approachable. My own observation is that, while you can make friends just like anywhere else, many people seem to be in a little trance or in a world of their own and aren't as likely to seem friendly with strangers. Generally, it's a good idea to try to build a social life outside of your work or school environment. It seems to take more work, as more people in other cities at least get some social interaction through their neighbors and workplaces. If you enjoy talking to people in general, then you may not like it here -- it seems to be more of a stoic, introverted culture.

As far as the expense, just know what you're getting into. Seattle and the greater Puget Sound area are actually a little cheaper than the DC suburbs so, if you live in Arlington, for example, you'll get reverse sticker shock on what houses cost around Everett, where your husband would likely work. However, compared to the brick and mortar construction you're used to back east, you might find the houses here a little more "natural" looking, considering that they're wood or composite and have more exposure to moisture.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Take that thread you reference with a grain of salt, SSS.

"Most of them don't want outsiders?" Most of them ARE outsiders. Remember, most residents in the greater Seattle area are now from other places. There was a huge inflx of folks especially from California several decades ago and it hasn't stopped. As I've said in other threads, there are not only people from all over the country but all over the world now living in the greater Seattle area. No, you will definitely not be the only transplant.

Again, please don't fall into the trap of labeling "all the people" in a certain area as alike. I was jumped on for saying that before but that's how I feel and I'm stick'in to it!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:13 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
"Most of them don't want outsiders?" Most of them ARE outsiders.
LOL And alot of us who aren't outsiders don't hate transplants either.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:23 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
After years of wanting to do it, I finally took a weeks vacation to Seattle and western WA in 2006. It was hands down the most beautiful place I have ever been, and I've been just about everywhere else in the U.S. I love greenery, mountains, and water, and had never seen all 3 in such abundance until I went up there. I ended up applying for a number of jobs in metro Seattle, but in the end decided it was just too far from my family in Georgia and Michigan. If it weren't for them I would have moved there in a SECOND! I hope the people that do live there truly appreciate what a gem they have all around them every day.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Exactly. The two people that I work with closely for my job are both transplants, and they are great people. I welcome transplants with open arms. We are a growing city emerging on the global scene, and it embarasses me when some ornery natives pine for the days when we were still some backwoods town that offered some sort of idyllic, Walden-esque existence.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Take that thread you reference with a grain of salt, SSS.

"Most of them don't want outsiders?" Most of them ARE outsiders. Remember, most residents in the greater Seattle area are now from other places. There was a huge inflx of folks especially from California several decades ago and it hasn't stopped. As I've said in other threads, there are not only people from all over the country but all over the world now living in the greater Seattle area. No, you will definitely not be the only transplant.

Again, please don't fall into the trap of labeling "all the people" in a certain area as alike. I was jumped on for saying that before but that's how I feel and I'm stick'in to it!
Thanks for the warning. Seattle kind of sounds like DC. Most people here are too busy to socialize with. I have lived in the DC area since 2001 and the last 3 years have meet friends that I like to hang out with and trust my kids with. And Seattle seems so far away from Texas, but at the same time so beautiful.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
That makes me feel so much better! I love diversity. DC has a lot of transplants too with all the government jobs and military bases. It is nice to see different people from different places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area