Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 11:48 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times

Advertisements

WSDOT:

Quote:
After express toll lanes opened on I-95 in Miami, HOV lane speeds tripled and general purpose lane speeds doubled. We don't know if we'll get similar results on I-405, but we are confident that they will help improve traffic on one of the most congested highways in the state.
I-405 Express Toll Lanes Part 1: What is the problem? - The WSDOT blog - Washington State Department of Transportation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 06:35 PM

43 posts, read 57,229 times
I actually saw those express lane built from start to finish in miami on I-95 and I can tell you it only extract revenue for DOT in any state. This stupid idea does not alleviate traffic congestion, it makes it worst because they take away traffic lanes. I should also add that during the construction stages accident's increased because drivers ended up in the express lanes when they didn't want to so they try and get out of those lanes...guess what happens. In some of those cases drivers died.

IMO if they want improve traffic conditions they should add more lanes or improve public transportation. If they really want to make a difference they should create some sort of incentive for employers to allow more telecommuting, to me this would be the most effective.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:19 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushRod View Post
I actually saw those express lane built from start to finish in miami on I-95 and I can tell you it only extract revenue for DOT in any state. This stupid idea does not alleviate traffic congestion, it makes it worst because they take away traffic lanes. I should also add that during the construction stages accident's increased because drivers ended up in the express lanes when they didn't want to so they try and get out of those lanes...guess what happens. In some of those cases drivers died.

IMO if they want improve traffic conditions they should add more lanes or improve public transportation. If they really want to make a difference they should create some sort of incentive for employers to allow more telecommuting, to me this would be the most effective.
They are adding more lanes; the second HOT lane is an added lane. 405 is being widened...the state's been working on it for years. They're just starting to re-pave and stripe, so the difference will become clearer in the coming months.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:28 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,622,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
They are adding more lanes; the second HOT lane is an added lane. 405 is being widened...the state's been working on it for years. They're just starting to re-pave and stripe, so the difference will become clearer in the coming months.
They aren't adding lanes to the entire stretch. They are going to toll all the way from Lynnwood down to Bellevue, but no new lanes have been added north of highway 522, from that Woodinville/Bothell exit all the way up to Lynnwood. I thought the tolling was supposed to be in exchange for having an extra lane, but how does that work when a rather large stretch of the new tolled area will have no new lanes?

Old 07-09-2015, 11:10 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushRod View Post
if they want improve traffic conditions
Let me stop you right there. I'm far too cynical to believe this has anything to do with improving traffic conditions.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:08 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
They aren't adding lanes to the entire stretch. They are going to toll all the way from Lynnwood down to Bellevue, but no new lanes have been added north of highway 522, from that Woodinville/Bothell exit all the way up to Lynnwood. I thought the tolling was supposed to be in exchange for having an extra lane, but how does that work when a rather large stretch of the new tolled area will have no new lanes?
Yes, only the one HOV lane (one each way) will be converted to an Express Toll Lane north of 522.

The current project is Phase 1. The Master I-405 Corridor includes two ETLs in the whole corridor. It also includes:

* Bus Rapid Transit along I-405 and expanded transit centers.

* Improvements to key arterials.

* 100% increase in vanpools.

* 50% increase in local transit service.

* 5,000 new park-and-ride spaces.

* 8 new bicycle and pedestrians crossings.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres...MasterPlan.pdf

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 07-09-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area