Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:18 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,834,402 times

Advertisements

What is the talk of the town around the seattle area regarding a new NBA basketball team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:42 PM

8,073 posts, read 8,380,298 times
Would be poetic justice, since Milwaukee stole the Pilots...

Same basic issue as was in Seattle - the owners want the City to build them an arena, and the City is balking (unwilling to subsidize billionaire owners and millionaire players). The difference is that if they don't come up with an agreement, the NBA can force the owners to sell to the league, after which they'd auction the franchise to the highest bidder. Not going to hold my breath

The Bucks and the billionaires

Old 06-28-2015, 08:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,609 posts, read 81,297,702 times
My prediction is hockey in Tukwila within two years, basketball 2-3 years later. Tukwila has their plan in order and full support. Seattle and King County are just too slow, they love red tape and can't get anything done.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:03 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,508,898 times
Seattle and King County are just too slow, they love red tape and can't get anything done.

Exactly. Just look at the OKC/Bennett affair and remember some of the grueling details in all their gritty detail. How the Seattle Sonic's were just picked up and moved so easily like that is still an abomination.

I still say let's trade the entire Mariner baseball team to New Orleans for the Pelican's and call it a day. Or a night.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:49 PM

368 posts, read 696,069 times
Tukwila is in King County. The Tukwila group doesn't have the resources of the SODO group, and the SODO group is much further along in the process. They own the land and have cleared the environmental review process.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:06 PM

290 posts, read 288,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
Tukwila is in King County. The Tukwila group doesn't have the resources of the SODO group, and the SODO group is much further along in the process. They own the land and have cleared the environmental review process.
They may be further along in the planning, but they have a number of hurdles they'll have to jump that the Tukwila group likely won't. For one thing, since the NHL appears to be a more likely near-term prospect, the memorandum of understanding between Hansen and the city and county will have to be renegotiated because the current language states that the NBA has to come first. Mayor Murray has made encouraging noises about making that change, but it's not at all clear that Hansen, whose heart is set on the NBA, would agree.

Given that 1) the NHL would not be the revenue-generator that the NBA would be and 2) the deepest pocket of Hansen's group (Ballmer) has done a runner to LA, it's not at all clear that Hansen would be willing to take on the increased financial risk. He's been pretty quiet about the prospect; certainly the days of him holding court in front of McRory's while he was trying to steal the Kings are but a distant memory. In any event, the financial arrangements would have to be revised and if the agreement was going to have even a prayer of complying with the city's voter-approved I-91, he's going to have to pony up more dough...potentially a lot more. And if there's a hint that it doesn't follow I-91, expect a legal challenge faster than you can say Chris Van Dyk.

Finally, the EIS. Yes, it's done, but it is very possible it too can be challenged in court. Industrial interests, the Port, and the Mariners have all expressed public disapproval about the impact on current industrial and maritime operations as well as on traffic in general. Any or all of them may follow that by lawyering up.

All that said, I hope I'm absolutely wrong about this because it would be fabulous to have the NHL and NBA here. But like Crazy Donkey, I'm not expecting it to happen. The Seattle Process will kill it.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:39 PM

8,073 posts, read 8,380,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
All that said, I hope I'm absolutely wrong about this because it would be fabulous to have the NHL and NBA here. But like Crazy Donkey, I'm not expecting it to happen. The Seattle Process will kill it.
Just think the incentives point to the parties involved (owners, city, county, and state) coming to a deal - they each have too much to lose, if they don't. The Seattle situation was a stand-off between the owner (with more to gain from not coming to a deal) and the city (which had been suckered into a bad deal by the previous owner), with the county and state washing their hands of any responsibility and standing on the sidelines, and the league acting like a carpetbagger, rather than an honest broker.

The basic framework of the SODO deal is acceptable, in that the city isn't being asked to carry the risk, but only the financing and local infrastructure costs.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:54 PM

8,174 posts, read 8,317,242 times
If we are going to maintain any semblance of moral high ground, we should leave the Bucks alone. I just think the NBA is privately figuring out a way to come here, there is too much money in this town to not be. Perhaps the fact that the NHL is making real progress here may be forcing the issue at NBA headquarters more than you think.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:22 PM

290 posts, read 288,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Just think the incentives point to the parties involved (owners, city, county, and state) coming to a deal - they each have too much to lose, if they don't. The Seattle situation was a stand-off between the owner (with more to gain from not coming to a deal) and the city (which had been suckered into a bad deal by the previous owner), with the county and state washing their hands of any responsibility and standing on the sidelines, and the league acting like a carpetbagger, rather than an honest broker.

The basic framework of the SODO deal is acceptable, in that the city isn't being asked to carry the risk, but only the financing and local infrastructure costs.
Wish I shared your optimism. I can see the owners, mayor, and county all on board. But the City Council, especially after this next election where seven of nine are elected by district? Not so sure. And even if a deal managed to emerge, the EIS, the finances, or both will likely be challenged in court.

Appreciate you bringing up a little bit of history as well with regards to the never-ending arena soap opera. Your point about former Sonics owner Barry Ackerley getting the city to agree to a bad deal (by accepting a remodel that eliminated any possibility of the NHL ever considering Key Arena) isn't mentioned often enough.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,899,572 times
There is another story today (7/7/15) in the P.I. about the Bucks moving to Seattle. Apparently the Bucks are dragging their feet in negotiating a new arena, and the NBA does not think their current arena is up to league standards. Sound familiar?

I am not going to get too excited about this, as we have been led down this road before. However, it indeed would be poetic justice after the Pilots moved to Milwaukee after just one year in Seattle in 1969.

The story today speaks of the urgency of this in Milwaukee, and they want to solve it in months, or even weeks, or...

Well, we shall see how it plays out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: