Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 11:44 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,869 times

Advertisements

Currently I'm a 34 year old Los Angeles, CA area native. My full life I have lived in the LA,CA area. For the past 3 years I have been unemployed due to LAs high unemployment rate.

I decided to try applying to jobs in the Seattle area using a Seattle address on my resume with a google voice area code 425 phone number. I'm getting phone calls for job interviews in the Seattle area left and right. In the LA area I sent out 100 resumes with no response.

For the same job in Seattle verses LA the pay is higher in Seattle. Why is this?

Last week I flew to Seattle and had a job interview at Costco headquarters in Issaquah,Wa but got rejected for the job.

I found rooms for rent in Bellevue and Kirkland that I can afford.

My parents aren't too happy that I still live at home. In the LA area a room for rent is over $1,000 a month. A little studio apartment is $1500 per month.

In June 2004 I graduated from California State University Northridge with a BA degree in radio-tv-film.

A few days ago in LA I took a ride with an uber car and my uber driver had graduated California State University Northridge 5 years ago and can't even find any job period.

Currently I have 4 job interviews in the Seattle area next week. One job wants to hire me to work in Amazon.coms wearhouse in Bellevue.

I also have aspergers syndrome and cerebral pulsy. In LA its very hard to find a job let alone if you have aspergers syndrome.

Should I try getting a job in Seattle and moving to Seattle,Bellevue or Kirkland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 10:02 AM

368 posts, read 695,732 times
There's no guarantees in life. You might move here and the change will be really good for you, or you might be miserable. But it sounds like you have some things in the works that could be a good change. Only way to know is to give it a try.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:10 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Seattle is a little cheaper to live in than LA, there is a ton of hiring going on, and jobs here generally pay more. It's a win-win-win situation when it comes to employment.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Seattle is a little cheaper to live in than LA, there is a ton of hiring going on, and jobs here generally pay more. It's a win-win-win situation when it comes to employment.
That's right

Old 07-09-2015, 10:19 AM

The only thing that worries me is I had a job interview last week at Costco corporate headquarters in Issaquah. I didn't get the job.

Should this discourage me from going to other Seattle job interviews?

Old 07-09-2015, 12:49 PM

450 posts, read 550,305 times
I would keep on trying and make a move if you land a job, sounds like you're ready for a change.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Costco is one of the best employers to work for and you had a lot of competition, I would not let that discourage you. The fact that you got an interview should be encouraging. Our rent is not much less than LA, but that is at least partially offset by not having a state income tax. Bellevue has some reasonable apartments int he Crossroads area, within a short walk to
the mall with restaurants and a theater, and easy public transportation down NE8th to downtown. It's nice to have 4 interviews the same week, good luck.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:19 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Aw yes, the same guy who dumped his girlfriend after cheating on her with some chick in Bellevue.
Well then, I guess karma hasn't set it just yet.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Aw yes, the same guy who dumped his girlfriend after cheating on her with some chick in Bellevue.
Well then, I guess karma hasn't set it just yet.
The chick in Bellevue is helping me by emailing me job postings. She also has mailed me apartment websites.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:35 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Sounds like the Seattle area is calling your name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area