Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:53 AM

5 posts, read 5,646 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Seattle and am wanting help on where to live. Here are a few things I'm looking for:

1. Car-friendly/accessible. I'm hoping to not have to pay too much (if anything) extra for parking and don't care that much about necessarily being in downtown if it's going to be a lot more expensive to own a car there

2. I will be living alone so I'm hoping to find a 1 bedroom or studio for $1300 or less. My ideal budget would be <$1000, but I"m guessing that would be damn near impossible even in suburbs, right? Again, I don't need to be in downtown, so I'm fine with living in a not so exciting neighborhood initially. The closer the city is to downtown, the better, but I'm fine with at least having public transportation access to downtown because I imagine that I'll only really be able to take advantage of downtown on weekends due to the nature of my job.

3. If possible, easy access to highways and preferably in an area that doesn't get completely backed up during peak hours. I know Seattle traffic isn't great, but my job requires me to travel to various client sites around the greater metro area, so the faster I can get on the freeways and the less time I can spend in traffic, the happier I'll be.

4. If I do have to live in a suburb, I am wondering if there are some that cater more toward the younger population that is maybe priced out of the city or if basically everyone in their mid-twenties live in downtown in Seattle.

If anyone can give me ideas on neighborhoods and how much I might expect to spend on rent, that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 01:20 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
For a broad selection of <$1,000 1-bd apartments in the Seattle area, you'll be limited to the Lynnwood area, to the north, or the Federal Way area, to the south. The problem is that living in Lynnwood will make getting to clients south or east of Seattle a royal pain, with the same being true, if living in Federal Way, for clients north or east of Seattle.

If I were you, I'd be looking at the U District. You might get lucky and nab a 1-bd from $1,000-1,300, although they are not plentiful, nor should you expect lush digs for that kind of money. A more realistic budget might be $1,500 or higher. In return, you'll be more centrally located to access clients north, east, and south of Seattle via I-5 and SR-520. SR-520 is a toll bridge, so you needn't be worried about getting stuck in a jam, at least on the bridge. You'll also have access to a MUCH more active dating scene. Some of the immediately adjacent areas can also work, although rents might be higher.

You'll still have issues getting through or around downtown Seattle. Some of that can be dealt with by avoiding peak traffic times. Once Bertha finishes her "big dig", there will be a toll-tunnel by-passing downtown, which might make things easier.

Other more centrally located areas worth looking at: upper/east Capitol Hill and west/central Bellevue. Figure $1,750-2,000 for a realistic budget, however. One option could be to share a 2-bd apartment, which might be had for $2,000-2500.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:31 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATssell GOATson View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Seattle and am wanting help on where to live. Here are a few things I'm looking for:

1. Car-friendly/accessible. I'm hoping to not have to pay too much (if anything) extra for parking and don't care that much about necessarily being in downtown if it's going to be a lot more expensive to own a car there

2. I will be living alone so I'm hoping to find a 1 bedroom or studio for $1300 or less. My ideal budget would be <$1000, but I"m guessing that would be damn near impossible even in suburbs, right? Again, I don't need to be in downtown, so I'm fine with living in a not so exciting neighborhood initially. The closer the city is to downtown, the better, but I'm fine with at least having public transportation access to downtown because I imagine that I'll only really be able to take advantage of downtown on weekends due to the nature of my job.

3. If possible, easy access to highways and preferably in an area that doesn't get completely backed up during peak hours. I know Seattle traffic isn't great, but my job requires me to travel to various client sites around the greater metro area, so the faster I can get on the freeways and the less time I can spend in traffic, the happier I'll be.

4. If I do have to live in a suburb, I am wondering if there are some that cater more toward the younger population that is maybe priced out of the city or if basically everyone in their mid-twenties live in downtown in Seattle.

If anyone can give me ideas on neighborhoods and how much I might expect to spend on rent, that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!
Seattle, as a whole, is out on that stated budget. You're looking at southern Snohomish county (Lynnwood, Bothell, Mountlake Terrace) at best. Or, you could come in from the South (Federal Way, Kent, Auburn).

Bottom line: you can spend money, or you can spend time ... and at that budget, there's no escape from the traffic. Especially since you are apparently driving around, all I can tell you is to stay away from travel during rush hour(s) if you can at all help it!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:48 AM

7 posts, read 6,465 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Hi! You'll likely be looking at a studio apt in that price range unless you score. I would recommend Greenwood, Bitter Lake, Wedgwood, Northgate - North Seattle or West Seattle/Delridge/White Center/Burien.

In terms of traffic, sorry to break it to you, it's hard to get around starting about 3 for freeways.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:49 PM

OK, so it looks like 1300 is pushing my luck. What if I upped it to $1500 with the stipulation that I wouldn't have to pay extra for parking? I know it varies from building to building, but my guess is that there would be some areas that aren't as expensive and therefore will be less likely to charge a fortune for parking. Also, I'm fine with a studio. I just meant that I wouldn't have roommates starting out.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:34 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
In terms of neighborhoods/cities that aren't too far of a commute from downtown Seattle, have lower rents, and have some appeal to 20 somethings, maybe Burien. SW 152nd, "Old Burien" is like a mini Ballard, kinda hip, kinda artsy.
Downtown Renton has a bunch of newer apartment buildings, very convenient to public transportation, and has places to hang out. Via public transit, downtown Seattle's around 30-35 minutes from either Renton or Burien, and some parts of the city of Seattle are longer than that.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:42 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,949 times
Quote:
OK, so it looks like 1300 is pushing my luck. What if I upped it to $1500 with the stipulation that I wouldn't have to pay extra for parking? I know it varies from building to building, but my guess is that there would be some areas that aren't as expensive and therefore will be less likely to charge a fortune for parking. Also, I'm fine with a studio. I just meant that I wouldn't have roommates starting out.
I think you're going to find something decent. For example, here's a 1-BR unit for $1150 with parking located across the street from all the houseboats on Lake Union. Eastlake, 3 short blocks up the hill, has plenty of cafes, pubs, plentiful bus service to downtown, and you're quite close to I-5 entrances and exits. One of my fave parts of town.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:53 AM

Are places like Bellevue any cheaper or are they just as expensive?

Old 07-08-2015, 05:27 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,060 times
Quote:
Bellevue and most of the Eastside will be at least as expensive as Seattle, if not more so.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:12 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Quote:
Most of Bellevue is pretty expensive. Crossroads and Lake Hills are a little less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area