Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:24 PM

368 posts, read 695,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmavrekx View Post
I wouldn't say cheap like $100. I meant respectively as franklin42 pointed out... lol sorry.

I got all excited!

For example Sept 5th 2015 to Sept 12th 2015. NYC to FLL is $277. SEA to NYC is $396.... Roughly $100 more.
I don't consider this CHEAP by any means but only $100 more for across the country, not coast, doesn't seem to bad to me.
Yeah a good time to travel is after the summer cruise/tourist season dies down in Fall. Flights get pretty full in the summertime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 03:05 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,223 times
Quote:
I don't consider this CHEAP by any means but only $100 more for across the country, not coast, doesn't seem to bad to me.
One trick many of us use is an Alaska Airlines-branded Visa card, which will give you 25K bonus frequent flyer miles when you sign up (enough for a round trip) but also an annual companion certificate - one person flies on the normal fare (say $350) and the other pays $100 plus tax, so roughly $450 for two, good on any flight. Alaska's FF mileage program is one of the best.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:26 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,826,582 times
Quote:
RotseCherut - No harsh feelings. You know things on the internet (or through text) can easily be misconstrued. I never really noticed the accent however I'm sure the west coast has its own accent that you just don't hear. Actually when my wife and I went to Boston we had a young kid behind us making cracks at the NY accent saying "Yeah, Tony Ima sah yah head off" in a horrible impersonation of a NY accent. My wife insisted on turning around and telling him its SAW SAW not SAH haha. So I get it. No harm done!
Hey Mavrek, no worries.. I understand how it can be confusing to understand a person's intentions from a post like that. Indeed, I can see where what I wrote could have been misintepreted. We Jews always make fun of our own accents and being a New Yawker/New Joisey talker is just part of our psyche. Consider that a good chunk of the Jews in the world come from New York/New Jersey, you can see the allure of the accent.

Northwestern people do have an accent. I grew up in the Northwest, unlike many other people who live here and when I talk to people from East Coast or Midwest they tell me I have some kind of accent. I told them its the native Oregonian accent and it has a slight twang to it.. The NOrthwestern accent I will say is most pronounced with British COlumbian people and more suttle with Washington, Oregonians and Idahoan people. THe accent of Montanan and Wyoming people is somewhere in between the Northwestern accent and Midwestern. A Wyoming person sounds like a hybrid of a native Oregonian/Washingtonian and a person from Missourah (Missouri).

Now Boston (Bawhstin) accent , that is an accent I may have to poke fun at a little Hard to believe a Bawstonian would make fun a a New Yorker for his accent.. Then again, I do kind of enjoy Mark Wahlberg's accent, so I guess on the right person it can sound good. The Departed was also one of my favorite movies. I kind of enjoyed the Bawhstonian dialogue of the film.

I guess you heard the joke about what Khakis mean in Boston:

Old 07-20-2015, 06:52 AM

69 posts, read 89,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
One trick many of us use is an Alaska Airlines-branded Visa card, which will give you 25K bonus frequent flyer miles when you sign up (enough for a round trip) but also an annual companion certificate - one person flies on the normal fare (say $350) and the other pays $100 plus tax, so roughly $450 for two, good on any flight. Alaska's FF mileage program is one of the best.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into it!

Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 AM

69 posts, read 89,699 times
RotseCherut - Haha that's a good one.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:06 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
RotseCherut - Haha that's a good one.

First time I read it I didn't get it! Ya have ta sound it out. Just like the word "to" in the English language. Most of us pronounce it "ta". So I decided to sort of celebrate that fact by spelling the word to as "ta". You may have noticed in my posts I'll spell "ta" instead of "to". It's sort of my sarcastic Seattle background and upbringing coming out.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:23 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,353 times
I'm from California, but I miss good swimming. Jetty Island, previously mentioned, requires you to show up hours in advance to take a number for the one little ferry, and you may wait hours and never actually get on. You can make a reservation with a party of eight. There are no services there at all. Most people swim in lakes here, as the Sound is freezing. A lot of the lakes give you "swimmer's itch," which is caused by duck feces and algae and the bugs from it get under your skin. Fun times. There are also community pools, but they're generally packed and mostly indoors. The private swim clubs have waiting lists two to three years long.

I love it here. Like, really love it here. But the swimming thing is a huge disappointment.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:05 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,928,249 times
[quote=angelenogirl;40493435]I'm from California, but I miss good swimming. Jetty Island, previously mentioned, requires you to show up hours in advance to take a number for the one little ferry, and you may wait hours and never actually get on. You can make a reservation with a party of eight. There are no services there at all. Most people swim in lakes here, as the Sound is freezing. A lot of the lakes give you "swimmer's itch," which is caused by duck feces and algae and the bugs from it get under your skin. Fun times. There are also community pools, but they're generally packed and mostly indoors. The private swim clubs have waiting lists two to three years long.

I love it here. Like, really love it here. But the swimming thing is a huge disappointment.[/QUOTE

All true. Best options are the freezing but clean glacier lakes, Chelan & Crescent, but they are too far for regular non-vacation use. So, best bet is too take up hiking instead, indoor swim, and get cheap flights to SoCal.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:04 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Angelenogirl said" A lot of the lakes give you "swimmer's itch," which is caused by duck feces and algae and the bugs from it get under your skin. "
You must work for the Lake Beaches Chamber of Commerce.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:31 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Angelenogirl said" A lot of the lakes give you "swimmer's itch," which is caused by duck feces and algae and the bugs from it get under your skin. "
You must work for the Lake Beaches Chamber of Commerce.
Hahaha. I don't know why I'm so freaked out by lake swimming. I can't get past it. Maybe therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area