Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 05:09 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,203,336 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend, myself and her two kids 7 and 10 will be moving to the Seattle area in the next year or so. It's pretty early in the process but it's an area we both love and she went to college up there. We both previously lived in Texas (she in Ausin and me in Dallas) before moving back to where we grew up. Yes, more californians moving up there. Sorry.

So, we don't have jobs yet but we want to figure out an area to live and then try for the job thing. She's a server at a restaurant so it shouldn't be too hard for her to find work. And I'll figure my stuff out later.

We are taking a trip in November to check out areas and whatnot. I figured since this site helped me so much when I moved to Dallas, I would ask you guys for suggestions.

We would like to find a 3 bedroom 2 bath house for around $1500 (or less) I'd that's even realistic. I think if apartments are cheaper we could be alright renting one first to make sure we like the area. So far Bremerton, Port Orchard have been in our radar for the western side there. And areas like Bellevue, Bothell, etc... Seem to be nice on the Eastern side. We really want to make sure it's affordable and hopefully have decent schools. It would also be nice to be able to take public transportation into Seattle.

So where do you guys think we should consider? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 05:23 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,002,933 times
Everywhere is affordable if you can afford it.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Right. Lol so true. $1500 or less for rent is where I'm thinking.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:44 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,601,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Hahah.

I'm starting to feel sorry for us. Seattle is getting deluged.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:11 PM

368 posts, read 692,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Hahah.

Hahaha, I blame grunge, Grey's Anatomy, Sleepless in Seattle, and all the other stuff that people fantasize Seattle to be.

For the OP, have you put in a search in Craigslist with your requirements? I think it's a good way to see the areas for your price range, and what you can get for your $$$.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:32 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,078,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Hahah.

Everyone's a monk on here, with wise sayings

Feel sorry for my buddy whose rent went from $2,600/month to $3,400/month in Kirkland. It's a nice two bedroom condo/townhome, to be sure, but that's stratospheric at least by current Seattle metro standards. In five years, (we) may have a different reality/paradigm.

$1,500/month for a house is, unf., smoking hemp. On Eastside, at-least. Hope it works out, though.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:38 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,601,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

Feel sorry for my buddy whose rent went from $2,600/month to $3,400/month in Kirkland. It's a nice two bedroom condo/townhome, to be sure, but that's stratospheric at least by current Seattle metro standards. In five years, (we) may have a different reality/paradigm.

$1,500/month for a house is, unf., smoking hemp. On Eastside, at-least. Hope it works out, though.
Yeah, that's why everyone is elbowing each other in the eye to buy. Lock that cost in place so this doesn't happen.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

exactly why I came here seeking advice and suggestions. Believe me, I get why you guys are posting the snark you are. My last rent was $1900 for a 2 bedroom apartment, whereas my Mortgage in Texas was $1100 for 2300 sq ft. I get it. My current **** box condo cost me $320k for under 1000 square feet.

I've done some searching on the various rental sites and Craigslist. It's clearly looking like the more western suburbs are going to be for us. And maybe my range should be closer to $1800. I know I'm asking a lot but you guys are theoretically up there and know the area and market. I'm just asking for a little more input from this resource. I'm not asking for everyone's opinion of "oh god another xxxx moving to my hometown and driving up the cost of everything." Guys, I live in L.A. I get it, chill with that stuff.

Since when did City-data become so snarky and unhelpful?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,002,933 times
The only western suburb is Bainbridge Island. The others aren't suburbs.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:54 PM

338 posts, read 845,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Right. Lol so true. $1500 or less for rent is where I'm thinking.
I hate to break it to you, but you're not going to find anything that size for that cheap or less. That's even on the low side for a 1 bedroom around here.
It's actually cheaper to buy (monthly cost anyway) than to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area