Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:45 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,352 times

Advertisements

I don't know, I think eBay snipers are lower forms of life. That, and the Education forum on city-data comes pretty close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 08:13 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
"MIZZLE", a term coined, I believe, by Steve Pool, beloved long-time meteorologist on KOMO 4 to mean real Seattle "rain" -- more than mist and less than drizzle.

to "BUCKY" as in "Please Bucky that over to Sam's office today." A business term in daily office speech. Bucky's is a company name. They started a bicycle courier service in downtown Seattle and were reliable and cost-effective. By the mid 90's, people were using the company name as a verb! That resulted in the following becoming verbs in daily speech: FedEx, UPS, and Fleetfoot (another local courier service).

“LESSER SEATTLE” A term coined by long-time journalist Emmett Watson to signify encouraging outsiders to think of Seattle as wet, moldy, dark, dismal and boring, in order to prevent people wanting to come here and thus keep Seattle from growing.

That old line won't work with me if the goal is to keep me from moving there. I like it when it is dark and raining. Besides I used to live in Everett so I have an idea of what the weather is like.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:42 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,352 times
"206 mafia" - People who think you don't have the right to say you're from Seattle unless you live in the 206 area code.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:17 PM

10 posts, read 34,899 times
people say "bro" "hella" and "like" a lot

Old 11-15-2008, 09:18 PM

122 posts, read 318,241 times
"Underdog" at the playground - it means run under the swing while the child is on it and push them from the other side.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:03 PM

184 posts, read 447,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmonicus View Post
people say "bro" "hella" and "like" a lot
For a city that dislikes California so much I find it funny that so much of the culture and style, including the slang you listed is copied in Seattle.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:13 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightiesfan View Post
For a city that dislikes California so much I find it funny that so much of the culture and style, including the slang you listed is copied in Seattle.
The city doesn't dislike CA and when exactly were those terms "copied'?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:25 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Californians love to have this mentality that they are hated everywhere outside of California....News flash, we don't hate you.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:42 PM

184 posts, read 447,897 times
News flash, I don't care at all.

I'm not a native Californian, I'm even worse, a native New Yorker. Everybody hates us wherever we go but I enjoy where ever I'm living.

I hear those terms all day long here in Seattle as well. This city seems to have a love/hate relationship with California. People love to bash the influx of Californians but they also style themselves like them. Strange situation.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:42 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightiesfan View Post
News flash, I don't care at all.

I'm not a native Californian, I'm even worse, a native New Yorker. Everybody hates us wherever we go but I enjoy where ever I'm living.

I hear those terms all day long here in Seattle as well. This city seems to have a love/hate relationship with California. People love to bash the influx of Californians but they also style themselves like them. Strange situation.
Native New Yorker. Atlanta,GA has a love-hate relationship with New Yorkers, even more of a hate relationship with the NY Yankees.

I can see the correlation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area