Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:04 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times

Advertisements

HuskyDawg, I hear you and have seen changes in my 26 years in Seattle to be sure. Fremont and Colombia City aren't lost causes, certainly still some groovy places for music and food. Regarding homes and rentals, although there are still some charming neighborhoods, you have a case with Fremont. Colombia City can still be affordable (relatively speaking) and many charming options that haven't been mowed over exist. You have to know where to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
Gentrified since I've lived here- Cap Hill, W Seattle, Ballard, Fremont, Magnolia, Belltown, upper Queen Anne, lower Queen Anne and Columbia City . Parts of U District, and central District. Don't think I'm embellishing.
That's a tiny fraction of the total neighborhoods in the city. Even if you look only at the list of Urban Villages you can pick a number of them that haven't seen a whole lot of gentrification. Bitter Lake? It has some new apartments, but is it really gentrified? I'd say no. Even Crown Hill which is right next to Ballard hasn't seen much in the way of visible gentrification of the businesses or amenities. Crown Hill is seeing a definite upswing in the number of more expensive homes being built, but that's about it.

I don't think these are isolated examples. In fact I'd say at least half of the neighborhoods aren't gentrifying at anywhere near the rapid pace or seeing similar effects to the ones you listed.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:50 AM

368 posts, read 695,633 times
Bitter Lake is a whopping 19 acres of land. 1/2 the neighborhoods aren't gentrifying? How many cranes and projects are there in Seattle right now?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:13 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
Bitter Lake is a whopping 19 acres of land. 1/2 the neighborhoods aren't gentrifying? How many cranes and projects are there in Seattle right now?
19 acres? It stretches for 30 blocks. Lake City is another one that is lagging. North of 85th, it's really just Northgate and Greenwood that are seeing much in the way of higher end re-development.

Building isn't the same as gentrification. If the city puts in an assisted living facility, there's no reason to think that's going to lead to gentrification. Likewise, if you only look at the popular/central neighborhoods, you're missing out on a lot of others that aren't really gentrifying. Some aren't gentrifying simply because they're already fairly nice and built out. Compare Madison Park with nearby Madison Valley - One is showing serious signs of gentrification while the other is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area