Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:34 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It's called driving in a city. Pedestrians aren't beholden to automobile traffic - it is in fact the other way around. Many larger cities in Europe have avenues in their densest districts that are entirely off limits to automobiles.
I've long maintained that most if not all of the DT shopping district should be turned into a pedestrian only zone.

At one time back in the late 80's or early 90's Pine St at Westlake Center was pedestrian only, but after merchants in the area complained that it was inconvenient the city opened it back up to traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 01:38 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,416 times
Quote:
It's called driving in a city. Pedestrians aren't beholden to automobile traffic - it is in fact the other way around. Many larger cities in Europe have avenues in their densest districts that are entirely off limits to automobiles.
Yeah, and that makes sense.

Its the fact that people truly will HURRY into the crosswalk, and then slow down once in it, so that you are faced with wave after wave of pedestrians, is quite frustrating.

If the pedestrians are doing their own thing, and are not in the way of the majority of automobiles, like the ones in Seattle are, then thats fine. But Seattle is just not well planned for it.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:44 PM

170 posts, read 983,114 times
I never understood why seattle is considered outdoorsy with all that rain. Those are the days I stay inside.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:47 PM

108 posts, read 386,947 times
Quote:

Dude, what's with the "it's called driving in a city" comment? I drive in most major (NFL) cities in the country and they all zone the pedestrian traffic differently. Obviously, pedestrians have the right of way in the crosswalks, but other places have their crosswalks strategicaly placed and you aren't always trying to turn left on a hill with pedestrians meandering in the crosswalk through the whole green light cycle. Also, they variate, so the "walk" sign doesn't always correspond exactly with the left turn green light for cars (yeah, new concept that seems to work in cities all over the world: the pedestrians wait for the car traffic light to turn red before they get their "walk" sign).

Not all of us were born in a bubble in Seattle and have little to no firsthand experiences in other cities to make comparisons. Not buying the "that's city driving everywhere" comment.

To your point, though, I also think it's a good idea to have some areas zoned pedestrian only. I'd rather Seattle do more of that than have this system where drivers have to deal with pedestrian traffic at practically every intersection.

Again, it's just a driving frustration, not trying to knock Seattle down in the city ranking or something. Seattle's better than other cities in many regards, but not, in my opinion, the way pedestrian and vehicular traffic interactions were planned.

Last edited by Fallingwaters; 01-25-2008 at 01:57 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 01:56 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
I never understood why seattle is considered outdoorsy with all that rain. Those are the days I stay inside.
I'm like you! I used to go outside all the time - but now hardly ever. It's too cold and moist themajority of the year.

I was from somewhere hot and I see people complain that they stay indoors when it's too hot. I didn't - I used to go biking in all weather. It's amazing feeling when it's still 80 degrees at dusk and you bike through gorgeous WIDE streets with large canopy trees...can't do that here. Never warm after the sun goes down and the dusks/sunsets are rare.

sorry I went off on a tangent there

Old 01-25-2008, 02:08 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
It rarely rains hard enough in Seattle to keep people from being outdoors, at least it doesn't keep me, or most people I know indoors.

On the other hand, when I lived in Texas and Louisiana I spent a lot more time indoors in the summertime. Who wants to be outside when it's 95 degrees or hotter with humidity to match?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:17 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,416 times
Quote:
It helps if you get a hooded coat, and drop the umbrella.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:31 PM

108 posts, read 386,947 times
To the original poster: another con of moving to Seattle is that there is little else to do than argue with other people who live here about whether it's a nice place or not (just kidding).

Old 01-25-2008, 02:57 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
It rarely rains hard enough in Seattle to keep people from being outdoors, at least it doesn't keep me, or most people I know indoors.

On the other hand, when I lived in Texas and Louisiana I spent a lot more time indoors in the summertime. Who wants to be outside when it's 95 degrees or hotter with humidity to match?
ME...I DO!!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:09 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
I don't know about humidity (although I spent my summers in Alabama and enjoyed it)

But I'll tak 95 degrees!!! It's the way summer is suppose to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area