Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 09:19 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
ugh my biggest pet peeve. Let's be honest, black people do this to each other too. We are expected to act and speak a certain way and have certain interest. When we don't, eyebrows are raised.
In some ways, this is done to Black people, from other Black people. I agree that it is quite stupid. I've experienced it for myself from some Black people, mainly students. I remember in high school, one guy basically called me "overcooked White boy".

It wasn't only Black people. I have known a few White people(a few, but it has happened) who raised their eyebrows when they found out I wasn't the "stereotypical Black guy". One frequent named I was called was "Carlton"(think about Carlton Banks from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air). Some students frequently asked me to do "the Carlton Dance". I remember one girl who came up to me and asked some stupid questions. Among them was "why are you reading a book"? One girl screamed "white boy" a few times.

I've seen this kind of behavior from both Blacks and Whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 09:25 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In some ways, this is done to Black people, from other Black people. I agree that it is quite stupid. I've experienced it for myself from some Black people, mainly students. I remember in high school, one guy basically called me "overcooked White boy".

It wasn't only Black people. I have known a few White people(a few, but it has happened) who raised their eyebrows when they found out I wasn't the "stereotypical Black guy". One frequent named I was called was "Carlton"(think about Carlton Banks from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air). Some students frequently asked me to do "the Carlton Dance". I remember one girl who came up to me and asked some stupid questions. Among them was "why are you reading a book"? One girl screamed "white boy" a few times.

I've seen this kind of behavior from both Blacks and Whites.
Oh yeah. San Diego was the worse for me. I remember being called "the whitest black guy they knew" by white dudes. Idiots. Latinos and Asians never seem to pay any notice.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:50 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times
Quote:
Oh yeah. San Diego was the worse for me. I remember being called "the whitest black guy they knew" by white dudes. Idiots. Latinos and Asians never seem to pay any notice.
I thought San Diego would be one of the better cities (at least from treatment and acceptance by non-blacks) for a non-stereotypical black person. From what I saw personally and from the stats, there is a good amount of integration - at least compared to where I live on the East Coast. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I'm kind of surprised to hear this about San Diego. I know it isn't perfect. However, I figure that San Diego being a big military town, and having known from people from San Diego(both White and Black), I would never imagine such. I particularly wouldn't imagine such because former MLB star Tony Gwynn lives in the area.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
I thought San Diego would be one of the better cities (at least from treatment and acceptance by non-blacks) for a non-stereotypical black person. From what I saw personally and from the stats, there is a good amount of integration - at least compared to where I live on the East Coast. But correct me if I'm wrong.
There's a good amount of integration yes, but there is also a good amount of stereotyping. Most people there fit into stereotypes.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I'm kind of surprised to hear this about San Diego. I know it isn't perfect. However, I figure that San Diego being a big military town, and having known from people from San Diego(both White and Black), I would never imagine such. I particularly wouldn't imagine such because former MLB star Tony Gwynn lives in the area.
Well Tony Gwynn is love for sure. I'm not saying it's outright racist like many places back east. it does however seem to like stereotypes.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Well Tony Gwynn is love for sure. I'm not saying it's outright racist like many places back east. it does however seem to like stereotypes.
I live in Georgia, on the outer section of metro Atlanta(I live about 45 minutes away from the Alabama border), so I've seen some stuff go on. I remember a few students who threatened to "lynch" me. This isn't representative of everyone in Georgia. That noted, Georgia is the only place where this has ever happened to me. For me it surprises me to hear San Diego in that light. I always felt like military towns had at least decent race relations. Every Black person I've met who came from San Diego was the child of a military father, and they seemed to like San Diego. In my eyes, I figured with the chaos existing in Los Angeles, I was told that San Diego was more laid back.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I live in Georgia, on the outer section of metro Atlanta(I live about 45 minutes away from the Alabama border), so I've seen some stuff go on. I remember a few students who threatened to "lynch" me. This isn't representative of everyone in Georgia. That noted, Georgia is the only place where this has ever happened to me. For me it surprises me to hear San Diego in that light. I always felt like military towns had at least decent race relations. Every Black person I've met who came from San Diego was the child of a military father, and they seemed to like San Diego. In my eyes, I figured with the chaos existing in Los Angeles, I was told that San Diego was more laid back.
No one threatens to lynch you in San Diego. What I was saying is that people rely on stereotypes. Having said that, I wouldn't go trekking in the Lakeside area if I were you after dark. Military towns are great in places like Georgia. However in places like California, they bring in an element from small towns in God knows where that's not normally found here. In the city of SD, no one will threaten you for racial reasons. What they will do is point out how "non-black" you are if you don't fit the stereotype.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:07 AM

52 posts, read 136,565 times
It is not about the color! The black people are much more social and they want to be close! This is their culture. The issue they have in Seattle comes from the fact that they cannot make friends here easily. Nobody can! This is a strange place! Beautiful though!

Old 06-30-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
No one threatens to lynch you in San Diego. What I was saying is that people rely on stereotypes. Having said that, I wouldn't go trekking in the Lakeside area if I were you after dark. Military towns are great in places like Georgia. However in places like California, they bring in an element from small towns in God knows where that's not normally found here. In the city of SD, no one will threaten you for racial reasons. What they will do is point out how "non-black" you are if you don't fit the stereotype.
In Georgia people have pointed out how "non-Black" I was, and some have even made fun of me for it. I've gotten it in Georgia. Now that I think of it, the military can attract some elements from small towns. That being said, I would think that the military might engineer that out of some people. I've always thought that in the military(modern day military), racism isn't really tolerated.

FWIW, I've only been out to Los Angeles, and I did run into some Black people that were similar to me. Alot of Black people in fact.

Lakeside, I'm guessing it has the same reputation as Santee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area