Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:57 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
You have a point there. It doesn't have "plantation history". With that said, Seattle isn't perfect either. A look at the history can show that. On another note, it was voted one of the top 10 cities for interracial families.
Many of the blacks who live here are part of that huge migration in the 40's and 50's from the deep south. Many black Seattleites are from Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. Or at least their parents and grandparents are. I definately see the connection with black Seattle and the south. Also as a former real estate agent in central Seattle many blacks were not push out of the CD. Many sold there homes for record breaking prices and CHOSE to move to newer developments in Kent, Renton, Aburn and Federal Way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 08:26 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Many of the blacks who live here are part of that huge migration in the 40's and 50's from the deep south. Many black Seattleites are from Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. Or at least their parents and grandparents are. I definately see the connection with black Seattle and the south. Also as a former real estate agent in central Seattle many blacks were not push out of the CD. Many sold there homes for record breaking prices and CHOSE to move to newer developments in Kent, Renton, Aburn and Federal Way.
Similar thing with my father's side of the family. My grandparents moved to the North during the Great Migration to Wisconsin. They were from Mississippi. A big part of the reason for African-Americans moving to Seattle was due to the jobs in the shipyards and Boeing.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 AM

807 posts, read 2,258,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Educated black people get along great in this city, because many white liberals are clamoring to have black friends.

Hahaha yeah its like 10 points if you have one.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Hahaha yeah its like 10 points if you have one.
Points? What are you talking about?

Old 07-17-2010, 10:36 PM

18 posts, read 41,446 times
it's a joke thing. Kinda like "ten points if you hit that tree with this rock". Points are bonuses in the game of life =P

Old 07-18-2010, 03:54 AM

163 posts, read 576,906 times
Default Symbol Of King County

The symbol of King County is Martin Luther King Jr... I think that says a lot for the black community here. Kent is one great burb for diversity.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:03 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
I never felt like a minority here. I am not bothered by the fact that Seattle is so overwelmingly white, I am just concerned about finding a community where I would feel comfortable. I would like to know if there are any affluent areas in Seattle comprised of a good sizable amount of African Americans. I would like my children to be able to identify with their own culture and I would hate to move to a city where people would equate being black with being poor. Is there an abundance of middle class or upper middle class residents in the Seattle area?
I lived in Seattle from '90 - '00, and now have a home in Lake Washington's Northshore area. I know there are affluent African-Americans in Seattle, as there are everywhere, but I am not aware of large communities of them. Seattle is not necessarily predominantly white, but it does give that impression because the metro area is largely self-segregated. I know there are large areas of poor African-Americans on the outskirts of town, mostly in the southern areas.

On the other hand, I think Seattle is fairly open in accepting different cultures -- maybe not embracing, but not refuting. The only obvious refutation I perceive in Seattle is to the poor. There are a lot of services to the poor, but generally most of the city's well to do want them to be helped, but not viewed. This was especially apparent when the tent cities started to move to the more comfortable parts of town.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboatannie953 View Post
The symbol of King County is Martin Luther King Jr... I think that says a lot for the black community here. Kent is one great burb for diversity.
It was renamed for Dr. King in 2007. The motion to rename the county in honor of Dr. King was made by Ron Sims(African-American Democrat and former King County Executive) and Bruce Laing(a Republican from Renton). It is the only county in the USA named for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It was renamed for Dr. King in 2007. The motion to rename the county in honor of Dr. King was made by Ron Sims(African-American Democrat and former King County Executive) and Bruce Laing(a Republican from Renton). It is the only county in the USA named for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
But it didn't happen until it was successfully pushed through by African- American council member Larry Gossett, who's been very good at getting things done. Sims was good at spouting ideas, but not good at getting anything passed.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But it didn't happen until it was successfully pushed through by African- American council member Larry Gossett, who's been very good at getting things done. Sims was good at spouting ideas, but not good at getting anything passed.
Interesting enough, the push to honor Dr. King has been getting started within African-American communities in the Western USA. Wilma Webb(wife of Denver's first African-American mayor and a Colorado Senator) pushed to make the MLK holiday a state holiday in Colorado. A few African-Americans in Seattle have pushed for King County to be renamed for MLK himself. Interesting that these things are starting in Seattle and Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area