Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:23 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Educated black people get along great in this city, because many white liberals are clamoring to have black friends.
Tough guy?
Sure you don't mean dumb guy?
That's a conservative, asinine comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 12:05 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Tough guy?
Sure you don't mean dumb guy?
That's a conservative, asinine comment.
I'm no conservative, quite liberal actually. It's a fact that educated young black males have a cachet, a coolness, a cultural relevancy about them that is very much in demand in the white hipster and white yuppie circles.

I'm serious, if you are young, black and educated, you will have no problem building up a huge social circle in this town, as long as you don't expect to have a ton of other black friends.

I don't know if that sounds racist, it's just what I've observed. I would highly suggest that some black professionals check out Vancouver, which makes Seattle look like Atlanta (in terms of percentage of black folk). They could rule that town.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:38 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times
Yea as a black person myself it seems the more educated you are the more you're isolating yourself from other black people. Have not been to Seattle but this is just from my experience and observations. I'm just wondering not so much about the white people but how hard would it be to make asian friends also.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:59 PM

5 posts, read 12,188 times
Hello, everyone, and Merry Xmas! Greetings from Baltimore, Maryland. As many of you probably already know, Baltimore doesn't have the best reputation. HBO shows such as "The Wire", "The Corner", and "Homicide: Life on the Street" doesn't really help this city's image. I'm in the process of moving to Seattle. I have 2 Masters degrees and I am a 28-year old African American male. My brother lives in Seattle, and from that ONE visit, i was sold. Seattle's the best!

Old 12-26-2010, 01:32 AM

304 posts, read 850,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
Hello all. I am an African American and I am considering moving to Seattle to relocate. I currently live in Atlanta and I never felt like a minority here. I am not bothered by the fact that Seattle is so overwelmingly white, I am just concerned about finding a community where I would feel comfortable. I have a wife and two school aged children. I would like to know if there are any affluent areas in Seattle comprised of a good sizable amount of African Americans. I would like my children to be able to identify with their own culture and I would hate to move to a city where people would equate being black with being poor. Is there an abundance of middle class or upper middle class residents in the Seattle area?
I am African American living in Seattle. It amazes me how so many black people feel uncomfortable in their own skin in some regions of the country and worry about whether they will be accepted on the WEST COAST of all places! Of course you will be welcome in Seattle. No one cares. Neighborhoods are not self-segregated. People don't tell racist jokes at work. Racism will be the least of your concerns. Try worrying about the rain.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:01 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times
So I guess my original post was answered, good to hear.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:50 AM

54 posts, read 220,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandygirl View Post
I am African American living in Seattle. It amazes me how so many black people feel uncomfortable in their own skin in some regions of the country and worry about whether they will be accepted on the WEST COAST of all places! Of course you will be welcome in Seattle. No one cares. Neighborhoods are not self-segregated. People don't tell racist jokes at work. Racism will be the least of your concerns. Try worrying about the rain.
what she said.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 PM

177 posts, read 456,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
Hello all. I am an African American and I am considering moving to Seattle to relocate. I currently live in Atlanta and I never felt like a minority here. I am not bothered by the fact that Seattle is so overwelmingly white, I am just concerned about finding a community where I would feel comfortable. I have a wife and two school aged children. I would like to know if there are any affluent areas in Seattle comprised of a good sizable amount of African Americans. I would like my children to be able to identify with their own culture and I would hate to move to a city where people would equate being black with being poor. Is there an abundance of middle class or upper middle class residents in the Seattle area?
I lived in Bellevue and I loved it. Family friendly and really nice area to live in general. As long as you keep an open mind, you and your family will enjoy the Seattle area.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 PM

13 posts, read 24,925 times
Lived off and on in Tacoma, Seattle and Everett for 10 years. Other than living in Hawaii or my impression of many visits to San Francisco, you'll never find a better place to just relax and not worry about race. Can't wait to move back before my son is school age.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:04 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah256 View Post
Lived off and on in Tacoma, Seattle and Everett for 10 years. Other than living in Hawaii or my impression of many visits to San Francisco, you'll never find a better place to just relax and not worry about race. Can't wait to move back before my son is school age.
I used to live in Everett. I can't complain. I at least enjoyed myself and my family didn't have issues. They have issues in certain parts of the South.

How has the area around Mariner High School turned out? I ask because I lived in an apartment complex nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area