Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:34 PM

18 posts, read 16,361 times

Advertisements

Thanks.. Willing to go upto 700K or so, was not sure what a reasonable budget would be. I have a 10 yr old and a 4 yr old. The 4 yr old would require some pre-school. I plan to work full time, so a full day option is a must. Thanks for the heads up re:daycare waitlists. 2K is indeed steep for full day daycare/preschool. We pay $1300/mo for a really good one here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
For many more choices, raise your budget to $650-700K.

There's bus service to or close to SLU from Phinney Ridge/Greenwood (#5), Ballard/Fremont (#40), Wallingford/Green Lake (#16/26), U District/Roosevelt/Ravenna (#70/71), all areas with top-rated public schools.
Thanks, that budget should work for us..

Old 08-06-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Bad to live on the Seattle side? No, it's fantastic, charming neighborhoods, puts you near all that is culturally great about Seattle. Many of my Amazon clients do just that, as well as my wife who grew up in Falls Church. Your budget will not support Mercer Island, maybe it would get you a smaller home in Phinney Ridge, Ballard. Some spots that would work are Greenwood, Magnolia, Columbia City, Beacon Hill, Seward Park, Ravenna. Welcome (almost) to town. Be careful, I moved here 26 years ago from the East Coast and never left

Childcare options are plentiful, including many creative options where people connect with each other. Seattle will seem quite safe compared to the DC area. Traffic has become a real issue here, much better if you work for Amazon to live on the Seattle side. We have a 10 1/2 year old daughter. She loves it, we are never at a loss of what to do. We tell her "only boring people get bored".

The lovely historic neighborhoods (Seattle is ringed by them) almost have an old fashioned quality, not just the homes but the way people interact. My daughter runs out the door and has 5-6 good friends on our Phinney Ridge block alone. For you guys, many of these neighborhoods have delightful pubs, restaurants, farmers markets. Many of my relocating European clients say Seattle vibes in a way that reminds them of home. You will love it.
Thank you! I am so anxious about this move, this really, really helped. I have a 10 yr old son as well and a 4 yr old. Thanks for the suggestions re: other areas to look for.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
As for daycare, our friends in Ashburn say they're paying about what we've found here. It's expensive. Don't be too discouraged about the houses here. You'll get around half the square footage here for the same price as in Ashburn.

The big advantage over Ashburn that neighborhoods like Phinney Ridge has is you have the option of driving a lot less. There isn't a whole lot most people need that isn't close by.
You are right. I was looking at the sq.footage and its a lot less home for the dollar there than over here. We really do want to cut down on driving, it's just getting out of the burbclave comfort zone

Old 08-06-2015, 08:02 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Give the Seattle side a try. Your quality of life will be rich and someday you will thank me. I encourage my clients to hang out in the neighborhoods they are considering, talk to people, get the vibe. $700-$750K would really help.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:59 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotmom View Post
You are right. I was looking at the sq.footage and its a lot less home for the dollar there than over here. We really do want to cut down on driving, it's just getting out of the burbclave comfort zone
These neighborhoods are definitely not a burbclave. But the schools can be as good. Brambelton for instance has decent schools, but you can find a similar school pyramid in much of North Seattle.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:42 AM

Next Door Media has a family of highly regarded Seattle neighborhood blogs that I think you would really enjoy. Here is the "Phinneywood" one, you can link at the top to others: PhinneyWood

Old 08-07-2015, 04:18 PM

Take a look at the Magnolia area of Seattle. It is beautiful, peaceful, a little more affordable than some parts of Seattle and close to almost everything.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:00 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotmom View Post
Short Commute time to downtown Seattle (ideally biking distance)
With this in mind, look anywhere in NE Seattle close to the Burke-Gilman Trail - Matthews Beach to Bothell/Woodinville could be in your price range:

For instance:

9529 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115 is For Sale | Zillow

Schools: Rogers ES ("7"), Eckstein MS ("9"), Nathan Hale HS ("9").

Old 08-07-2015, 09:46 PM

And you are welcome, Dotmom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area