Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 04:38 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I agree with the "amusement park" thing. The Fun Forest at the Center was the last, but lost out to the Chihulyseum (imagine letting a bunch of kids loose in there. The closest left is Wild Waves.

The problem is that amusement parks here have to make all their money in three months out of the year. This is nothing new, however: Luna Park and Playland are also long gone.

When I was a teen, the Zoo and Seattle Art Museum were free.

There used to be all-city and all-ages dances ("Battles of the Bands") and clubs here, but most got shut down over concerns over alcohol, drugs, fights, and underage sex. Drive-in theaters are mostly kaput - only the Valley 6 is left in the Seattle area. Traditional bowling alleys are far and in-between. Roller rinks are mostly gone. $2 movie houses (the Crest, etc.)? Double-feature Saturday/Sunday matinees (with serial, cartoons, newsreel, games & drawings) were el-cheapo childcare back in the 50s and 60s.
Hate to break it to you, CrazyDonkey, but even the Valley 6 in Auburn is now gone.

Nothing's free anymore. The Plant conservatory at Volunteer Park was free until maybe a year ago.
When they start charging to get into libraries, then maybe it'll be time to leave.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:45 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times
For teens there's TeenTix:
TeenTix

Old 08-08-2015, 06:13 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,950 times
Oh man, what a bummer Collegekid136. I suppose things could have changed quite a bit in the few short years that I've been beyond my twenties, but I sure enjoyed the hell out of my twenties (and teen years!) in that city. Seattle was my oyster from the time I was allowed a long enough leash and a driver's license until I moved to the Caribbean (pining for Seattle and visiting every 2-3months, still. I'm here and loving it now!). You and I are separated by a hair over a decade, but could things have really changed that much?

[Cheap] Things I did often as a teen (and would be happy to do today):

-Picnics in the parks with friends (often eating cheap grocery store fare, family style. Musicians welcome, of course. A picnic is always better with a guitar.)

- Ate great meals out at inexpensive but delicious hole-in-the-wall restaurants. I know that Seattle is still teeming with those restaurants today. The inexpensive ethnic food in that city is an experience worth calling an outing/adventure in and of itself. Take advantage of that!!

-We had some fun here: Group Activity Fun For All Ages From 8 to 80 | Whirlyball Seattle. Gather 14 of your favorite people and make a fun night of it for under $30 each. Better than an amusement park.
And here: Seattle Theatresports (Seriously, even if you think you're too cool for the theater, you will enjoy this. And it's only $15.)

- We we took advantage of free museum entry days. SAM offers great rates to students and free admission into its regular galleries on first Thursdays. There is my perfect segue to recommend participating in first Thursdays... Walk your beautiful city and see what its creatives are creating!!

- Check out a unique show/event at the Varsity or Egyptian theater (Rocky Horror Picture Show was a must when I was in h.s.)

- Take a free canoe through the arboretum

If all of that is not enough for you, I also loved hiking mountains, camping, and having lake or riverside soirées in my teens. Still do today!! It's timeless and the locations are endless in the PNW.

At your age now, the first thing I'm going to encourage you to do is travel. Travel has a way of putting things in perspective and honing your skills at getting creative and finding fun things to do in your own city. Even the most happening places in the world require you to know how to seek things out and make things happen on your own. You learn how to approach your surroundings with a different spirit. You learn how to be open to what's available. After a long weekend in SF (stayed in a cheap, art-hotel that was AWESOME, walked the city, bicycled, ate delicious but inexpensive food, took in the sights...) at about your age, I came home smacking myself in the forehead that I hadn't been taking advantage of my own awesome city in the same way, through the same lens (even though I was having a lot of fun in Seattle already). Long story long, step out with an attitude of exploration and creativity and you'll find that has an impact on how much fun you have wherever you go. Or you'll find in your travels that another place suits you better. It's win, win.

Next thing... YOU'RE 21!!!! Your ability to pass through the ropes into places, events, experiences that you've been barred from until now just opened up! What do you mean there's nothing to do?! There's EVERYTHING to do!

When I was 21 (broke, in college, sharing an apartment with 2 other girls), I managed to scrounge together enough cash to pay covers and dance the night away to favorite DJ's or live bands quite seriously 4-5 nights/wk. It's been a few years now, but I used to love dancing at Rebar, the Baltic Room, and the Alibi room just to name a few (covers appear to be around $8-$15 most nights, not bad at all). As far as I can tell, those places are still happening. The other two nights a week I was thrilled to hit a cheap dive bar and catch up with friends. It was AWESOME!!! (oh to have the free time and energy still today...). Even if you managed to afford that once-twice/wk, that sounds like a pretty good life to me...

Live music calendar: http://www.thestranger.com/events/music (note the huge number of shows under $20, let alone $8-$10)

In fact, look at The Stranger for A LOT of cheap, fun things to do. I clicked over to the dance and theater page and immediately saw about a dozen free shows. Actually, there are free and under $10 offerings in about every category of entertainment (comedy, music, theater, dance, art, food & drink events, festivals... I could keep going here).

Along those same lines, Seattle's Groupon currently has over 600 "things to do." Most of them are under $100, MANY are under $30. If I were in your shoes, I'd be all over those super cheap deals for wine & beer tastings, distillery tours, etc. A myriad of other things on there look interesting too (cheap tix to an upcoming chocolate festival, murder mystery dinner show...), but I'm putting on my 21-yr-old shoes.

When people ask me about Seattle, I tell them that if they hate great music, food, art, culture, and experiencing the beautiful outdoors, then they will hate it. The list of all of the fun, inexpensive things to do and see is not going to land on a pamphlet in your mailbox, you have to get creative, probably have a spirit that wants to learn and try new things, and be willing to seek out events and people on your own. Every place on the planet is like this. Or at least the big ones I've visited (France, Romania, Ecuador, Honduras, Costa Rica, Taiwan, just to name a few of my favorites... ALL on a budget!!). They all have the potential to be "boring." They all have the potential to be awesome. Seattle is probably no different.

I hope you start having great adventures, whether they be in Seattle or some new and amazing place!!

Old 08-08-2015, 07:12 PM

337 posts, read 494,750 times
Put a band together, that'll give you something to do

But really, if you're bored here there's always Detroit.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:24 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Hate to break it to you, CrazyDonkey, but even the Valley 6 in Auburn is now gone.
Ah, tell Google Maps that...

https://www.google.com/maps/search/d....4980427,10.28

Old 08-08-2015, 07:43 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
2013 was their last summer open. If you go now, it'll be a long wait to see the movie "Closed".

Old 08-08-2015, 08:51 PM

319 posts, read 346,390 times
Agreed that Seattle is becoming a pay to play city catering only to the rich but I agree with the others, move away for a while and see the world and see for yourself what other places have to offer. Every place has its pro and cons. You may like someplace else better and you may come home and see it in a different light.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:41 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
Has anyplace, anywhere, ever been not boring in the eyes of the young?

Old 08-08-2015, 09:50 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Seattle is fine for the young and fine for the old and fine for the rich. It sucks for the middle of road people both in age and income. That is people in the late 20s to mid 40s range and who don't have the triple digit bank accounts.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:58 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area