Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 08:24 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
It cracks me up when people say this, as if being different from Seattle is so awful and undesirable! Different is different and whether an area works for you depends on you, but change can be good and invigorating.
Yeah, but there's 'good' different and 'bad' different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 08:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
To get rid of GRAY... go to the mtn states or HI for awhile, come back to WA when the kids are HS age (free 'running Start).
Colorado Springs, Idaho Falls, Bozeman, Columbia Falls, Sandpoint. WY has great schools, but few great towns (I like Powell and Sheridan). Spearfish SD is tax free and a college town,

International living was GREAT for our family (kids were ages 5 till age 13), then we returned to WA and the kids built their own houses (while homeschooling) then to college (Free) at age 16.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:49 PM

53 posts, read 97,252 times
I'm moving to Maui in nine days. There are certainly things I will miss about Seattle (great restaurants, tons of live music, running through the Arboretum), but I am so, so glad to be leaving the noise and congestion and people with very different (money-driven) priorities than me.

Instead, I will be enjoying my peace and quiet and much slower pace.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:11 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
I don't know where I would go, but I just sit and look at the stars from my window at night and sing this song I learned from when I was a kid.. I know there is a great big world out there outside of Seattle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_iRdgGZ6Xc

Old 08-11-2015, 09:07 AM

615 posts, read 666,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherUserHere View Post
It may seem odd to ask about leaving Seattle in a forum dedicated to Seattle, but then again this forum has a lot of former residents and potential residents so hopefully nobody minds. After 15 years, we’re getting the itch to move on to another city, but there are too many choices (duh!) so I thought this would be a good source of suggestions. I’m a Microsoft person and will likely work remotely, but assume that I’ll switch to a locally company at some point so looking for a city with a strong tech industry. We also have young kids so looking for a great place to raise a family (low crime, good schools, etc)

After 15 years I feel like I have a pretty good feel for Seattle (technically we live in Kirkland) so here are the things we’ll miss and the things we’re looking to get away from:

Things we’re really going to miss: the water, the mountains, the outdoor lifestyle, the educated population

Things we’re looking to get away from: traffic, housing costs, grey winters, cost of living (generally costs seem a bit inflated, but maybe that’s unfounded), the ultra-liberal politics. We seem to have avoid the worst of the Seattle Freeze, but definitely noticed that Seattle isn’t the most outgoing/friendly culture.

Again, hopefully this doesn’t come across the wrong way, Seattle has been very good to us, but there comes a time when you have to start planning your next move.
If you find an educated area with a strong cost tech industry that has a reasonable cost of living, I'd like to hear where that is because I don't think it exists. You have to pay way more than normal to get that. Then again we are trying to compare things that haven't been quantified. San Jose might be a good fit for you.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by es_em View Post
I'm moving to Maui in nine days. ... very different (money-driven) priorities than me.

Instead, I will be enjoying my peace and quiet and much slower pace.
BTW:... HI offers Running Start as well (free college instead of wasting time in High School.

Hawaii might be a good option, and you might really enjoy it and want to stay through High School age.

It will be a stretch to find your desired 'educated' contingent. but you will have to learn to deal with the Hawaiian version of 'Don't-worry, Be Happy" (I can't remember the same)

Old 08-11-2015, 10:18 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
Chiang Mai

Old 08-11-2015, 10:46 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
How about Sydney, Australia, Auckland, New Zealand or Dublin, Ireland?

Old 08-11-2015, 04:45 PM

100 posts, read 89,888 times
Nyc

Old 08-11-2015, 08:21 PM

563 posts, read 1,787,794 times
after almost 25 yrs in Seattle area, moved to Scottsdale, AZ two years ago, best decision ever made. Also a former MSFT. Jobs are not as high paying but the work life balance is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area