Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 12:07 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
Having access to decent public transit is a big reason, since I don't drive. As far as entertainment . . . eh. I'm pretty flexible on that. Give me a couple of good pool halls and I'm solid.
Sounds good, OP. So it sounds like you can be more flexible. Olympia has public transit, I don't know much about it, though. You can bike, as weather allows. You could try Bellingham, though it's a smaller town, but in a beautiful setting.

I lived in Seattle for 20 years, and never owned a car, so it can be done, though on weekends it's not terribly convenient. For commuting to work, it's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 12:10 PM

372 posts, read 398,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sounds good, OP. So it sounds like you can be more flexible. Olympia has public transit, I don't know much about it, though. You can bike, as weather allows. You could try Bellingham, though it's a smaller town, but in a beautiful setting.

I lived in Seattle for 20 years, and never owned a car, so it can be done, though on weekends it's not terribly convenient. For commuting to work, it's fine.
I'm keeping my options open. Part of it depends on the work I can find when I get there, but I've been eyeing Tacoma and other spots along the Sounder line. Frankly after two years of living in New York nearly everything seems affordable in comparison.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:22 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Everett is on the Sounder line, has a very charming historic downtown, a nice waterfront and marina, and is considerably more affordable than Seattle.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:26 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I'm keeping my options open. Part of it depends on the work I can find when I get there, but I've been eyeing Tacoma and other spots along the Sounder line. Frankly after two years of living in New York nearly everything seems affordable in comparison.
A friend of mine in Seattle who's single and owns a 3-br. house with a big basement applied for jobs in NYC, hoping to boost her income. But when she was offered a job at Columbia and went for an interview and to check out potential living situations, she was pretty freaked out to discover she'd only be able to afford a 1-br. apt., if that, on the higher salary. Such a huge cut to the standard of living. Needless to say, she turned down the job.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:52 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
I don't have any plans on having kids, I'm not married and home ownership isn't a real concern for me. So basically all of those are non-factors.
This is the absolute worst logic you can possibly have, and I'll tell you why.

Unless your statement is you are NEVER going to have children and are not planning on ever getting married or ever owning a home, you are failing to look forward in your plans - which is something I see a lot of millenial types doing with impunity these days. You might not have any of those considerations NOW, but if you know that you need at least 125K in this area to be viable with all those things, you need to evaluate this city as to whether you're going to be able to get over that benchmark when these life events eventually do happen.

Because if you don't plan for that, and you don't evaluate whether you'll be able to clear that bar, you're going to blink and it's going to be a few years from now...and you're going to be having to move because you'll never be able to make it here with a family - and that's not a good situation. Plan more than 1 month into your future.

Life lessons, biotch.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:26 PM

731 posts, read 935,167 times
If I were you, I'd look into what transportation in Tacoma is like. I've never taken the bus in Tacoma, and you may be able to get to work just fine, but what about going to the grocery store? Can you get around Tacoma on a bus? Can you get from your rental to the Sounder? When I lived in Burien, I had to drive a ways to a park and ride to take a bus to the UW. If I had to take a bus to the park and ride, I would have added another hour per day to my commute.

Even Seattle transportation can be pretty spotty. This is not NYC by any means. Frankly, after traveling to Europe, NYC, San Fran, etc, I find our transportation system pretty pathetic. If you're coming from Boise ID, you will be impressed. The neighborhood you're in matters a lot for getting around without a car. What is your limit on commuting? When I took the ferry and bus daily, I found 3-4 hours per day oppressive. I would get home in time to go to bed and start over. Forget running any errands.

Maybe start a thread on Tacoma busing.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

Plan more than 1 month into your future.

Life lessons, biotch.
This is about short term plans, not long term ones. But frankly you sound like a pedantic idiot, so feel free to quit posting in my thread.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:38 PM

678 posts, read 875,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

Unless your statement is you are NEVER going to have children and are not planning on ever getting married or ever owning a home, you are failing to look forward in your plans - which is something I see a lot of millenial types doing with impunity these days. You might not have any of those considerations NOW, but if you know that you need at least 125K in this area to be viable with all those things, you need to evaluate this city as to whether you're going to be able to get over that benchmark when these life events eventually do happen.

Because if you don't plan for that, and you don't evaluate whether you'll be able to clear that bar, you're going to blink and it's going to be a few years from now...and you're going to be having to move because you'll never be able to make it here with a family - and that's not a good situation. Plan more than 1 month into your future.

Life lessons, biotch.
Why in the hell should the OP worry about his potential situation 5 or 10 or maybe even 15 years from now? My guess is that he is still very young so he shouldn't even have to think about making enough money to support 3 imaginary kids and an imaginary spouse in the future... That's just idiotic.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:40 PM

It's less that I'm young and more a combination of other things that's frankly nobody's damn business.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:41 PM

678 posts, read 875,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I don't think seattle is the 3rd most expensive area of the U.S. Nyc, San Francisco, DC, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Boston, San Jose, probably San Diego, most of Orange County--compared to some of these places seattle is still considerably cheaper. And we have no state income tax, and cheaper utilities, and a strong economy.
They are highly exagerrating how expensive Seattle is, and my strong guess is that the same people never lived anywhere else, so they think Seattle is at the top of expensive, which makes me laugh.

There is still NYC, SF, DC, Boston, LA, San Diego, Honolulu, Chicago, that are still far ahead...... like you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area