Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 01:44 AM

28 posts, read 76,130 times

Advertisements

How is the commute from Fauntleroy (west seattle) at 8am and 5pm?

Is this suicide or doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 03:22 AM

678 posts, read 875,686 times
Once I find out this monday I will let you know.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:37 AM

100 posts, read 130,164 times
I would look at google maps or something during rush hour on Monday and take a guess that way. I'm guessing those who do the commute regularly and keep track could give you a better answer.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:33 AM

Thank you folks. I just drove it, it takes about 20 minutes. It's 3 to 5 minutes south from the fautleroy ferry terminal. To downtown it was around 20 minutes... may e a tiny bit less... but this is on a Sat morning.

Unfortunately I want to sign a lease by tomorrow somewhere so I won't get a chance to dry run it on Monday morning

Google maps gives wide varieties of times in 30 to 60 minites.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:50 AM

368 posts, read 695,633 times
I've done this commute since the 90's. It depends where you are going downtown. You can also take the water taxi if your job is walkable from the waterfront. It's a crap shoot on time. Depends on what's going on with I-5 , 99 and the West Seattle Bridge. Any accidents can turn it into a nightmare. Takes me about 40 minutes on average from Fauntleroy to lower Queen Anne. Saturday morning isn't anything like the weekday commute. And when school starts it's also busier. That's said, it's a normal in town commute now for Seattle and no reason not to sign a lease. None of us know how it will be once the viaduct is torn down in a few years. Tunnel has less capacity and costs $$$ which will push many to surface streets.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:26 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
You might also be close to the RapidRide C Line, which runs from Fauntleroy to Downtown. Right now it continues as the D Line, but they are planning on splitting them, with the C Line deadending at SLU, I believe.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:33 PM

2001 8th Ave ... 8th and wall. It looks a little far to walk from the water taxi... and it still costs just as much as parking.

However, I would prefer to drive as I get a lot of thinking and unwinding done during this time and leave at strange hours.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdata View Post
However, I would prefer to drive as I get a lot of thinking and unwinding done during this time and leave at strange hours.
You might change your mind after being stuck on the West Seattle Bridge or in downtown traffic jams a few times. You can think and unwind on the bus, as well (and from Fauntleroy, you should be able to find a seat) - many employers will cover the cost of an Orca Card and a monthly pass.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:03 PM

They provide some orca benefits but it excludes the water taxi.

Is this a bad choice of places to live if ones choice to drive? Would any others be better? I can't see the drive, park, bus, water taxi mix being any faster. I would be OK with a private carpool if it helps transit time but no carpool lanes are to be found.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdata View Post
They provide some orca benefits but it excludes the water taxi.

Is this a bad choice of places to live if ones choice to drive? Would any others be better? I can't see the drive, park, bus, water taxi mix being any faster. I would be OK with a private carpool if it helps transit time but no carpool lanes are to be found.
Forget the Water Taxi. The C-Line goes straight to Downtown, taking you within five blocks of your destination. Try both driving and taking the bus, and then decide which is best. Time is not the only factor to be considered, but also cost, convenience, reliability, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: