Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:49 AM

478 posts, read 2,303,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatedeye View Post
I suppose a 2003 Honda Civic EX would be a target car? Micro-chipped keys and all and I never leave anything of value in it, let alone let things in the open. My car was broken into here in Columbia in September of 2006 and since then I've been extremely cautious about leaving anything in it. I even burn copies of all my CDs and place the copies in the car rather than the original.

When you refer to the "U-district" do you mean the area near the University? I'm looking for places near Ballard and Greenlake so I guess that's kind of near the University. I figured rent would be slightly lower there to cater towards the students.

And I thought of something else recently... Probably strange but, I've got a kitten that I'm planning on bringing with me. Many of the apartments that I've been looking into don't allow pets, but, from anyone's experience, can they be persuaded?

SeattlitefromNC: Whereabouts in NC did you come from and what brought you to Seattle? My parents are in NC and NC is where I spent a good portion of my life thus far, so it's neat to see people doing something similar what I may do.

Thanks again everyone.
Honda anything would be a "target car", but using common sense and keeping valuables out should put you in a better position than most. A lot of folks up here will keep their cars running (either to heat them up or whatnot), and a LOT of cars get stolen that way.

I'm from Raleigh, and grew up primarily there. I've been in Seattle for -- *counts on fingers* -- six years! Love it up here! It's hard to say how the weather will affect you, but give it a chance! It could grow on you.

Now is a good time to look for a place to rent; I see signs all over the place. In order to have the best chance to have your kitten be accepted, be sure to show that the kitten is spayed or neutered and has its shots. Also, working with a private landlord will probably up your chances of having your kitty friend be accepted.

I hope you enjoy Seattle! It is the most beautiful place I have ever lived in, by far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 07:30 AM

5 posts, read 13,809 times
Yeah, I don't think anyone would want to steal the radio in my car as it's part of the car... it's not aftermarket, nor is is separate, rather it's part of the console. So unless a thief wants to take the entire console... hehe. I suppose considering the size of the population of Seattle, the ratio of theft and crime isn't much different from other cities of equivalent size. Columbia, for instance, isn't so bad with car theft as it is with murder and normal theft. But even compared to Seattle those aren't that high. More people and more crime, doesn't always mean a higher ratio.

As far as the weather, I'm very much looking forward to it. It's too hot down here in the South and I'm very much what the locals call a Yankee. I like cold to mild weather and from what I've been reading about weather in Seattle, and really the whole Northwest, it seems perfect.

Well thanks to everyone for the information and help, I think I've got what I need for now. Maybe I'll see you around in a few months.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 17,647 times
Default Fear not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatedeye View Post
Hello!

I've read through several of these forums trying to get a perspective of what life is like in Seattle. I'm currently living in Columbia, SC, bored and uninspired, and I've got a potential job offer in the Green Lake area of Seattle. I'm doing research to assess cost of living and other factors that will play a large role on my decision.

So far I've heard positive and negative things from both Seattle natives and non, so much in fact that even after all the reading I'm left knowing nothing. It's quite frustrating.

I was born in Oak Harbor, I left when I was 2, and I've always been curious to go back. So I guess you could say I'm both a Washington native and not. I've lived everywhere from Denver to New York, Kentucky to the Carolinas but my fascination with Seattle, and the northwest really, has always stuck.

I'd like to live somewhere where rent is reasonable, and I will rent for a year or two to make sure I love it before investing in a house. From what I've been reading the area around the University seems to be rather fitting. I'm 25 years old and not really into the partying and rowdiness of college students anymore, but it's my choice not to partake so I don't think that would be a problem.

Crime is a big factor. Some people have said that crime is horrible in Seattle. Yeah, it's a major city so I wouldn't expect it to be low, plus it depends on what the crimes are. Jaywalking, for instance... big deal. Now car theft is another story. So what are some areas to avoid when looking for places of residence?

What are some good venues to meet people and make friends?

And finally, nevermind the people who say it's hard living on anything under $75,000... what is a good, comfortable salary for living a modest and rather simple lifestyle in the area around Green Lake?

Salary.com says that Seattle has a 30% higher increase in cost of living than Columbia, which is probably quite true. Columbia is extremely cheap. My 960 square foot apartment runs me only $647 a month. But, with low cost comes low fun as there really isn't much culture here if you're not a USC or Clemson fan, which I am neither.

Respond here or email me Mod cut

Thanks in advance,
Chris

seattle has much to offer! depending on your budget you can find plenty of safe and fun areas to live. ...and, Seattle is definitely a buyers market right now for homeowners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area