Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:06 AM

10 posts, read 10,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Look at the university websites for their job listings. Also, the City of Seattle. The UW does interview and hire out-of-state applicants, btw. Some of those people have posted on this forum.
Thank you Ruh4Truth, I will try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
What area of accounting do you want to head? consider bolstering your finance background while you are fresh out of school (CFA exams) or actuary or 'registered agent' with IRS (leveraged accounting careers that pay $xxx,xxx, and both require testing)

Consider another WA state location that won't have the expense of Seattle. Olympia / Tacoma / Vancouver, WA (https://jobs-fishercareers.icims.com...50-14000-Camas) https://jobs-fishercareers.icims.com...15-2282%29/job

Seattle could be career #2. You can gain some varied experience, save some dough (working for decent pay and living cheap), and visit Seattle often and determine where to live and who you want to work for. One of my kids did a Seattle finance career directly out of college, it was OK, but not great, 8 yrs and he is ready to get back to reality and a sense of 'quality of life' (I can't imagine he wants to leave his office with front row seat looking out over the Puget Sound and Olympics, but kids will do what they think is correct.! That is fine)

I wouldn't look to top tier firms for entry level, as you might get stuck with a very basic job and gain little experience beyond your time served.

Now is a great time to come and help businesses prepare for end of year.

My sis is CPA and never had a problem getting a CPA job in Vancouver, WA. (Portland, OR is 10 min away, but you need to pay OR income tax on OR based earnings). Thus Vancouver has some interesting challenges / options for accountants because most businesses in the border regions have activities in each state.

Congrats on the completion of degree... find some friends and move west SOON!

We rent out a 2000 sf apartment in our basement for VERY cheap (cuz we travel a lot), as do several of my neighbors. A SIL moved to Seattle and did the same (rented apt in homes of elderly for under $500/ month) . She often had views of the Sound / Lake, and had the whole home to herself at least 50% of the time. (she watered the plants and fed the pets, but was granted full access (as do we)) Our view and access to recreation (out the back door is not too shabby).

Get a local phone number through google.
Be prepared to travel (book on SWA so you can change for free... I keep ~5 tickets booked all the time, and roll them to other dates as sales or needs arise. Coolers / luggage flies free on SWA, so you can bring home Fresh Salmon and wild berries as a going away present!).

You can come and stay in the region for very cheap / free. (We are listed in several directories as a hospitality home, as are hundreds of others in WA) Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

WA is SO ez for accountants! (no WA income tax!, but burdensome WA DOR taxes). You can take training on-line for WA DOR subjects. I would 'brush up!'

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-25-2015 at 08:40 AM..

Old 08-25-2015, 09:58 AM

319 posts, read 346,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninazy View Post
Thank you seasallyttle. I know it's big difference between a licensed CPA and a successful CPA candidate. However, I really don't want to work in any small inland city. Lower salary, less fun, no fresh seafood(I ate only vegetables for 2 years because I cannot eat any beef, pork or chicken.)
If you do audit you can get great experience and travel the world on someone else's dime. And you can be based out of whatever large city is close to you. Then you will have your choice of where to go after that. The key is working on larger companies. You can always move to smaller private companies but if you ever want to work on large public companies now is the time to start. If you can get experience working on SEC filings, you will be gold.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
What area of accounting do you want to head? consider bolstering your finance background while you are fresh out of school (CFA exams) or actuary or 'registered agent' with IRS (leveraged accounting careers that pay $xxx,xxx, and both require testing)

Consider another WA state location that won't have the expense of Seattle. Olympia / Tacoma / Vancouver, WA (https://jobs-fishercareers.icims.com...50-14000-Camas) https://jobs-fishercareers.icims.com...15-2282%29/job

Seattle could be career #2.

I wouldn't look to top tier firms for entry level, as you might get stuck with a very basic job and gain little experience beyond your time served.

Now is a great time to come and help businesses prepare for end of year.

Congrats on the completion of degree... find some friends and move west SOON!

Get a local phone number through google.
Be prepared to travel
You can come and stay in the region for very cheap / free. (We are listed in several directories as a hospitality home, as are hundreds of others in WA) Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

WA is SO ez for accountants! (no WA income tax!, but burdensome WA DOR taxes). You can take training on-line for WA DOR subjects. I would 'brush up!'

Thank you very much for providing so much information.
I am pretty sure I will dedicate my profession in the field of taxation.
About living expense, I don't think it is a big problem to me. I lived in New York City with my husband for 2 years before we came to KY. We rent a small apartment for only 500/mo.(Share with others.) We buy all clearance groceries and cloth (everything in clearance), which helped us to control our budget on food and living within 400/mo. We don't have many leisure activities(except hiking), don't eat outside once for 4 years, use both 19.99 plan on cell phone and internet service, etc. We can make a living anywhere even if we only earn 1000/mo.
We are young couples, and we are trying our best to build a foundation for family economic success as early as we can. Even though I may start my first job in other states, we will move to WA after I get more experience in accounting.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:51 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Seattle CFOs Reveal Hiring Plans For Next Six Months -- SEATTLE, Sept. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

Quote:
"As job growth continues to push ahead in Seattle, we're seeing businesses work harder than ever to attract and retain top performers through competitive salaries and other perks," said Josh Warborg, district president for Robert Half in Seattle. "There is a particular need for candidates in the technology, healthcare and finance sectors, especially in accounting, where we see a high demand for both temporary and full-time professionals."
Try submitting some resumes, and see if you get any bites.

If a guy from out of state who was living in his parents' basement and been unemployed for two years could get hired by Amazon (true story), why shouldn't you be able to snag an entry-level accounting job, even if only on a temporary or contract basis. If you can survive NYC, you can certainly survive Seattle.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 09-09-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 07:00 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,281,333 times
If your goal is taxation, consider a Masters in Taxation. Extra hardware in this day and age helps.

For a just starting out CPA, you need to be in town for interviews. To put your name out there when you cannot make an interview will most likely keep you off the list.

A solid resume AND cover letter is important for someone starting out. When I have interviewed per diem people for tax season, I generally throw away unprofessional resumes and weak cover letters, for I feel if someone can't spend a little time trying to "sell" themselves to me I won't bother.

Good luck. I am glad I am long past that stage of starting out. I own my own small firm now.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
If your goal is taxation, consider a Masters in Taxation. Extra hardware in this day and age helps.

For a just starting out CPA, you need to be in town for interviews. To put your name out there when you cannot make an interview will most likely keep you off the list.

A solid resume AND cover letter is important for someone starting out. When I have interviewed per diem people for tax season, I generally throw away unprofessional resumes and weak cover letters, for I feel if someone can't spend a little time trying to "sell" themselves to me I won't bother.

Good luck. I am glad I am long past that stage of starting out. I own my own small firm now.
uall

Thank you very much for your information.
Actually I am preparing it and ready to start an online MST program, but I hope to get a job first which can help me to gain some experience in this field. In addition, many companies provide tuition assistance for continuing education.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:38 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,174 times
Maybe move to Seattle and do temp accounting work until you find something permanent-try staffing agencies
Temporary Agencies for Accounting Staffing | Accountemps
Seattle Financial Staffing, LLC
Matrix Finance and Accounting Recruiters | Matrix Recruiting & Staffing Agency | Seattle WA, Bellevue, WA

good job bank
https://fortress.wa.gov/esd/worksource/Employment.aspx

if you do not have 1 get a google voice number (its free) with a seattle area code-425, 206 or 253 and put that phone number on your resume so employers will think u are local

if u move to seattle area- network with your alumni association group in seattle- i am guessing you went to U of kentucky
https://www.facebook.com/groups/152401018291400/
https://www.facebook.com/UKSeattleAlumni

Old 09-10-2015, 12:19 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Thank you very much for providing so much information.
I am pretty sure I will dedicate my profession in the field of taxation.
About living expense, I don't think it is a big problem to me. I lived in New York City with my husband for 2 years before we came to KY. We rent a small apartment for only 500/mo.(Share with others.) We buy all clearance groceries and cloth (everything in clearance), which helped us to control our budget on food and living within 400/mo. We don't have many leisure activities(except hiking), don't eat outside once for 4 years, use both 19.99 plan on cell phone and internet service, etc. We can make a living anywhere even if we only earn 1000/mo.
We are young couples, and we are trying our best to build a foundation for family economic success as early as we can. Even though I may start my first job in other states, we will move to WA after I get more experience in accounting.
So, you want to live in Seattle, and are looking for a job there. What about your husband? Is his job transferable? Would he be without a job, if you got one, and would look for one after you moved? What's the story there?

There's no such thing as an apt. for $500 in Seattle. You'd be lucky to find a studio for $1000, fyi. You have a good education background & grades for your job search, though. Do you two have money saved to pay the first several months' rent? I wouldn't move without a savings.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:21 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
uall

Thank you very much for your information.
Actually I am preparing it and ready to start an online MST program, but I hope to get a job first which can help me to gain some experience in this field. In addition, many companies provide tuition assistance for continuing education.
A job at one of the universities in town (there are 3, plus community colleges) would give you free tuition for one course per semester.

Smaller accounting firms in Seattle don't pay for tuition. These days, with so many job applicants, no one has to do that anymore. They don't need to spend the money, because there are plenty of applicants who have the skills the company wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area