Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 AM

62 posts, read 376,642 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know, yet another moving to Seattle give me advice post…

Here is the situation: My wife received a job relocation offer last week and we had about 2 days to decide what to do. After as much frenetic research as possible, she said yes. Her office will be located on 16th Ave SW in Renton; I will continue to work from home with 3-4 trips a month to customer sites, so will become familiar with the airport. We are still working out timing, but she will probably get out there sometime in October, with the “big move” following in late December, so we have a couple of months to find a place, close and get it ready. Question: In California, after signing all the paperwork you have to wait for 3 days before getting the keys to the house, in Florida, as soon as you are done signing, they hand over the keys - what is the procedure in Washington? Our home situation (3 large dogs) and the re-lo package pretty much require that we buy now rather than rent first.

About us: Early 50’s, lived the first 40 years of our life in Southern California and then relocated to Florida (same company, another relocation) and settled in the Greater Tampa area. We make in the mid six figures and like to eat out (a lot), play golf, shop, contribute to the local economy, go to NHL games (no more of that) and go to football games – on a side note, it appears that our long streak of season tickets to the local NFL team will be ending; do season tickets ever come available? Our youngest daughter, 25, will be coming and living with us, which is the one bummer in the situation as she was about 1 year from graduating with her B.A. & teaching credential (general and special ed.) from USF; it appears that she will not be able to completely pick up and transfer, she will likely have some do-over time at U of W for the Washington State credential.

What we are looking for: We have set a hard cap for the new place at 600k (would like to retire one day) and seem to be gravitating to the southern burbs – Renton, Kent, Federal Way, North Tacoma but we are also looking at Burien, Des Moines and West Seattle. Question: I have read, repeatedly, about the horrific commute from Federal Way/ North Tacoma, but when I map on Google, with the traffic on, it is never more than 30 mins. – is that realistic? We have always lived in suburbia but are intrigued with the possibility of living within walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc. I would also love a view, if it is of water, so much the better. We also don’t want to reach out our window and shake hands with the neighbors. So, given the above, what suggestions do you have for us?

Additional questions: Who are the primary Internet and cable providers in the area? Would someone be willing to provide a how much they pay for what level of service? I am been to the Washington State Licensing website and have no clue what I will be paying in initial car registration fees – could someone who has been through the process recently provide some insight (3 cars, all newer)?

Thanks in advance for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 02:23 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Oh no, not another one...

Just kidding...

Start with Renton (which covers a lot of territory) - the closer to work, the better. East is better than west. Adjacent areas worth a look: Renton Highlands, Newcastle, East Kent, Maple Valley. Maybe Issaquah.

Anything much further south will involve getting stuck in commute traffic on I-5, I-405, and/or 167. 167 does have HOT lanes, however.

For a sports fix, try the Sounders. Also, UW has a Top-10 women's volleyball team. Great fun (you wouldn't think that women could hit THAT hard), much more exciting in person than on TV. I used to be a big-time football and basketball fan, but am now a TOTAL volleyball guy!

Old 08-24-2015, 03:40 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Welcome (almost) to town. I'm a Miami boy by way of new England, have been here in Seattle for 26 years. Here are some answers after your questions:

Here is the situation: My wife received a job relocation offer last week and we had about 2 days to decide what to do. After as much frenetic research as possible, she said yes. Her office will be located on 16th Ave SW in Renton; I will continue to work from home with 3-4 trips a month to customer sites, so will become familiar with the airport. We are still working out timing, but she will probably get out there sometime in October, with the “big move” following in late December, so we have a couple of months to find a place, close and get it ready. Question: In California, after signing all the paperwork you have to wait for 3 days before getting the keys to the house, in Florida, as soon as you are done signing, they hand over the keys - what is the procedure in Washington? Our home situation (3 large dogs) and the re-lo package pretty much require that we buy now rather than rent first.

(I usually get my clients keys the day of closing, which can be the day of signing and sometimes is day after signing).

About us: Early 50’s, lived the first 40 years of our life in Southern California and then relocated to Florida (same company, another relocation) and settled in the Greater Tampa area. We make in the mid six figures and like to eat out (a lot), play golf, shop, contribute to the local economy, go to NHL games (no more of that) and go to football games – on a side note, it appears that our long streak of season tickets to the local NFL team will be ending; do season tickets ever come available? Our youngest daughter, 25, will be coming and living with us, which is the one bummer in the situation as she was about 1 year from graduating with her B.A. & teaching credential (general and special ed.) from USF; it appears that she will not be able to completely pick up and transfer, she will likely have some do-over time at U of W for the Washington State credential.

(As a football fan, you'll love the sports culture here. UW Huskies are much fun and the Seahawks are on fire and the fan culture is electric right now. If you pay enough, there is always a ticket. You'll like the restaurants here and the golf too).

What we are looking for: We have set a hard cap for the new place at 600k (would like to retire one day) and seem to be gravitating to the southern burbs – Renton, Kent, Federal Way, North Tacoma but we are also looking at Burien, Des Moines and West Seattle. Question: I have read, repeatedly, about the horrific commute from Federal Way/ North Tacoma, but when I map on Google, with the traffic on, it is never more than 30 mins. – is that realistic? We have always lived in suburbia but are intrigued with the possibility of living within walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc. I would also love a view, if it is of water, so much the better. We also don’t want to reach out our window and shake hands with the neighbors. So, given the above, what suggestions do you have for us?

(If you are $600-$650K and office in Renton, like restaurants and shops and views, Burien may be your place. It is very underrated, focus in the Three Tree Point area).

Additional questions: Who are the primary Internet and cable providers in the area? Would someone be willing to provide a how much they pay for what level of service? I am been to the Washington State Licensing website and have no clue what I will be paying in initial car registration fees – could someone who has been through the process recently provide some insight (3 cars, all newer)?

(There are a number of options depending on where you live).

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...#ixzz3jlpdivn9

Old 08-24-2015, 03:59 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
The commute from Federal Way/North Tacoma to downtown Seattle can be horrific, but to Renton won't be quite as bad. If you're entertaining the idea of having stuff to walk to, North Tacoma is lovely...Old Town and Proctor neighborhoods and others. I think during rush hour, it might be as much as 45-50 minutes. Burien will be a straight shot across 518/405 from renton, and there are back roads. Never more than 20 minutes, and has a cool downtown area. Three Tree Point like homesinseattle said, and also the Seahurst area.
Close to Renton, Lakeridge is still a relative bargain for lake view property, and close enough for a quick drive to a lot of good restaurants. .In Renton, Kennydale has nice views( and a great elementary school.) If you wanted a little more foresty, there are smaller lakes with Renton addresses like Spring Lake or Lake Kathleen, or Lake Desire in Kent, or Wilderness in Maple Valley, where there are sometimes lakefront homes for sale under 600k.
West Seattle's nice, but if you want a view and a house for under 600,000, it'll need to be the southern part of West Seattle, like Fauntleroy, Arbor Heights, or Seola Beach.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:12 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,781 times
when i closed on my house here, i got the keys the same day that escrow closed.

however, when i was in CA, unlike you, i got my keys on the same day that escrow closed also...this was for 4 properties that i bought in CA over the years.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:15 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
In Washington, after you sign, the loan still has to get funded and the transaction recorded by the county. It's almost never the same day as signing, but rarely more than a couple of days after signing, and usually the next day. So you don't get the keys until the deal has been recorded by the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area