Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Seattle's buses overcrowded?
Yes 10 90.91%
No 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:07 PM

288 posts, read 344,932 times

Advertisements

Wow, it sucks that much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 12:28 PM

456 posts, read 774,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good for you. The only problem is that on some morning runs, the buses reek, because the homeless seem to sleep in there at night, or something.
I'm sure you experienced a smelly bus but in my 20 years of riding multiple routes for most part the vehicles are clean and odor free. The average rider does vary quite bit from bus to bus. Some can be full of middle aged commuters, some with UW students others with occasional problem passengers etc.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:46 PM

288 posts, read 344,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
I'm sure you experienced a smelly bus but in my 20 years of riding multiple routes for most part the vehicles are clean and odor free. The average rider does vary quite bit from bus to bus. Some can be full of middle aged commuters, some with UW students others with occasional problem passengers etc.
Have you ever seen anyone get booted off the bus?

Old 09-02-2015, 12:47 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
I rode the buses for 20 years, and had no problem. It was only after I moved away and came back for a visit about 10 years ago that I ran into that stinky bus phenomenon. It seems to be mainly on morning commute runs, and may be only in some neighborhoods (West Seattle.... ), I don't know.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:01 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Some buses can be over-crowded, in the County or the City, due to increases in demand, due to increased concentrations of housing or jobs. That's not true of most buses, however.

Occasionally, someone who reeks (of alcohol, urine, or both) will get on a bus that I'm on (it is "public" transit), but it is not common - if necessary, I just move to another part of the bus (riding two or three times a week, I've done that maybe twice in the last year). The homeless mostly don't ride the regular buses downtown, unless given bus tickets by a charity, since they are no longer free there - there is a separate free shuttle, however.

In general, the Seattle area has better bus service, and made fewer cuts to that service during the economic downturn, than most other areas around the country. If sometimes overcrowded, it is usually due to too many riders, rather than not enough buses. If sometimes late or with unreliable schedules (in peak/rush times), that's usually due to traffic delays or bottlenecks, something common to all buses (unless entirely on their own separate-grade busways).

The County did vote to cut bus service, but the City voted to reverse the cuts and add additional service. Continuing increases in ridership and tax revenues are moderating the cuts, however. Cuts are mostly being made to already poor-performing routes in the outer-suburbs.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 09-02-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 07:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I have been on the buses from Sammamish to my office for 4 years. Until last Thursday I had not seen any of the homeless since they ended the free downtown bus rides. This guy smelled so bad that people were covering their noses with scarves, shirtsleeves, or even long hair. This was not in Seattle, though. He got on at the Issaquah transit center and took the 269 to Bear Creek in Redmond. As for crowding, some of the 554s, 216s and 218s to the eastside are standing room only since so many people in Issaquah Highlands started taking them. Within Seattle, anything going near Lake Union or from Ballard to downtown in the morning (and reverse in afternoon) will not only be packed but will zoom by and not stop when they run out of room. Thankfully my Ballard employee moved to Beacon Hill and is late less often.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:06 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
When I ride Metro busses, they usually have room, Sound transit is often standing room only. They could seriously use two busses at a time for the route I take (545 between DT and Redmond). Sucks if you get a 'spreader' or someone with no sense of personal space. I generally find copious amounts of perfume or cologne more offensive than sweat. As someone with a sensitive sense of smell - the bus is an olfactory minefield. :P

Old 09-02-2015, 08:25 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
It depends on the bus and the time. I am on the 545 a fair amount as well, and I agree with Kayela on the idea that 2 buses for one run would still be full on that route during commute times. I generally stop in the Montlake area (to walk or transfer to the U District), but I make it a point to never be in a position to wait for the 545 from downtown to Redmond during rush hour. It has passed me by many a time because it was too full. I have also been on that bus when it's been so full I literally cannot move any major muscle group for fear of becoming intimately connected to someone else. Some buses are not nearly as busy, and non-work commute times tend to be much less busy.

I also ride the Metro a fair amount. It tends to smell more than the Sound Transit routes I've ridden, but I have never had to stand on the metro rides I've taken. For me, the worst smells have tended to be someone who obviously just smoked (or has been smoking all day). Makes me want to puke. I have also smelled some pretty nasty body odors, but that is less common on the routes I've taken.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:30 PM

328 posts, read 839,263 times
I can only speak for the 120 morning/afternoon commutes but it was often standing room only when it got to my stop and that was at 6AM.

As for odors, the one that stuck out to me was marijuana on a regular basis. To each their own but for crying out loud, don't roll your joints on the morning commute. I'd have to walk a few blocks before the smell would dissipate from my clothes. Not good to walk into work smelling like you've just imbibed.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:23 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
I can only speak for the 120 morning/afternoon commutes but it was often standing room only when it got to my stop and that was at 6AM.

As for odors, the one that stuck out to me was marijuana on a regular basis. To each their own but for crying out loud, don't roll your joints on the morning commute. I'd have to walk a few blocks before the smell would dissipate from my clothes. Not good to walk into work smelling like you've just imbibed.
Very unprofessional to walk into work at 6 AM reeking of pot. At least wait until the 10 AM coffee break before lighting up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area