Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,170 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've been reading the forum posts for a while since my husband got an offer from Microsoft. Current;y we live in an area where a 4 bedroom 2 bath house in a nice suburb sells for around 230K. I've heard that the Seattle market is cooling and I'm wondering when do you folks think the market will bottom out. As of now we may have to sell our current house at a loss, and I'm not wanting to buy high and then lose money again. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 10:55 AM

236 posts, read 472,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaPot View Post
Hi all, I've been reading the forum posts for a while since my husband got an offer from Microsoft. Current;y we live in an area where a 4 bedroom 2 bath house in a nice suburb sells for around 230K. I've heard that the Seattle market is cooling and I'm wondering when do you folks think the market will bottom out. As of now we may have to sell our current house at a loss, and I'm not wanting to buy high and then lose money again. Thanks.
I think Seattle will stay put. Granted it is overpriced but Seattle has an bachelors degree education rate of 67% and all kinds of corporations and employment opportunities, so I think prices will decline slightly. However, I think 25 miles from Seattle in any direction will see a big price declines, not as bad as California, Florida, Nevada, or Michigan but prices will decline........Good luck in Seattle its a really nice City.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:41 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
You won't lose money - but you won't find anything like that around here for less then 500K (probably much more! depending on which suburb, our nice suburbs are on the "Eastside")

The market is cooling - but it's not declining in prices. Even if we do start to decline it will be slowly

Our house cost 300K almost 5 years ago - it's worth about 650K and we are in a pretty crappy area of Seattle City Proper for that price!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:47 PM

56 posts, read 238,737 times
The Seattle market has cooled a bit as homes are not selling at huge increases as they were the past couple of years. And hoems aren't selling as quickly as they were in sprinf of last year where they'd be onthe market for less than a week with mutilpe offers. Homes prices haven't started to decline from what I have seen. I hate to be the bearing of bad news - there is no way you are going to find a Livable home near MS within 30 mile radius for under 300K. You may look to Monroe or some other remote communities with something in your range.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:09 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,161 times
What is killing the market in Seattle is the fact that the very high price of homes here means that, in order to get into a home, one oftentimes has to get a jumbo loan.

Welllllll, jumbo loans are an endangered species right now. Even if you have the credit rating, lenders are checking everything with a fine-toothed comb right now ... and if there is a blemish, there are problems.

This is severely limiting the number of buyers that can enter the market. That, in turn, means that houses entering the market are competing for a smaller pool of buyers.

The low-end of housing will remain strong, but the middle and high ends will fall. I don't think we will see a 50% cut anytime soon, but you will see the median price of homes drop at least $100k.

I live in Seattle, and the neighborhood that I live in is littered with "for sale" signs, but there are no buyers. There are still plenty of jobs here, but very few people have access to loans that can get them into a home anymore.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:11 PM

327 posts, read 962,720 times
I agree that the lack of jumbo loans and qualified buyers will start anchoring and pulling prices down. We're totally overpriced. I think prices will come down but it's going to take some time for the effects to ripple through the market. The teaser rates in the ARMs will continue expiring and people are either going to have to refinance or sell, which will boost suppy but not demand. I say wait 6 months and see how things are going. Buyers cannot remain stubborn forever and will have to give into the fact that their homes are NOT worth the 50% appreciation they were expecting after 3 years of ownership. www.seattlebubble.com is a good blog on this issue.

My magic 8 ball says...

Best case: Flat for the next 1-3 years.
Worst case: 10-15% decline in the next 1-3 years.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:54 AM

11 posts, read 73,975 times
Default Seattle is still better than other areas

If he's working in Redmond look at Maple Valley. It's very nice and very affordable for the Seattle area.

Tons of Microsofties out there. Many carpool too! Great for the environment and it's so nice to not drive a few days a week.

Great place for kids too.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:59 PM

199 posts, read 1,513,163 times
The government cheese that is expected later this spring or early summer (ie the "stimulous package") will increase the limits for conforming loans up to over $700K. So you won't have to shop for "jumbo" loans.

Many economist speculate this small item in the stimulous package will do more to lift the economy than sending out 150,000,000 $600 checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area