Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 06:58 PM

288 posts, read 345,196 times

Advertisements

Is it just more, or is Seattle more populated with Californians than a few years ago? It just seems different than when I was living here a couple years back. I'm a born and raised Californian, and most Californians have a very distinct, "Hey! Look at me!!" attitude that's very unique, it's difficult to explain but I think a lot of people reading this know what I'm referring to. It's one of the main reason(s) that I moved away....

On a side note, why do so many women here wear black nylons/stockings? Even with jean shorts and other casual attire... I'm not complaining because I like the way it looks. I've been in Asian heaven since I've been here. Is it an unwritten rule for women to wear dark legwear in Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 09:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,595 posts, read 81,279,384 times
We moved here (from CA) in 1993, and found that most of our neighbors here in Sammamish moved from there in the 1980s. A few more followed, but the last 10 years the immigrants we have met have been from other states and countries, especially India. Our most recent new neighbors are from Britain, Sweden, Arizona, India, and Austin. We are not in Seattle, but I work there. In the city itself I see more and more Asians, mostly Chinese, but you can't really tell if they live there or are just tourists.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:51 PM

64 posts, read 64,295 times
Put up the walls!

Old 09-18-2015, 10:13 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,889,963 times
All women seem to wear yoga pants as their standard go-to. I'm fine with that!

Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 PM

8,073 posts, read 8,378,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
I'm a born and raised Californian, and most Californians have a very distinct, "Hey! Look at me!!" attitude that's very unique, it's difficult to explain but I think a lot of people reading this know what I'm referring to.
So, that explains your posts...

Old 09-19-2015, 10:11 AM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Is it just more, or is Seattle more populated with Californians than a few years ago? It just seems different than when I was living here a couple years back. I'm a born and raised Californian, and most Californians have a very distinct, "Hey! Look at me!!" attitude that's very unique, it's difficult to explain but I think a lot of people reading this know what I'm referring to. It's one of the main reason(s) that I moved away....

On a side note, why do so many women here wear black nylons/stockings? Even with jean shorts and other casual attire... I'm not complaining because I like the way it looks. I've been in Asian heaven since I've been here. Is it an unwritten rule for women to wear dark legwear in Seattle?
Are you from SoCal? Because NorCal natives are usually very low key. I've never heard of that "hey, look at me" thing, except in LA.

Black stockings with business attire is the standard uniform, the fashion mags would have us believe. But with shorts? Never seen it. I'll be in Seattle next week, so I'll let you know if I see that around. Hard to believe, since the basic casual uniform in Seattle has always been hiking clothes--the Eddie Bauer look.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:02 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,945,794 times
Quote:

you're from CA but you're upset that others are moving to seattle? I would also say you can't stereotype an entire state, sure there's lots of folks who are more interested in what the latest fashion is and what celebrity gossip is going on than with real life.. but that's everywhere and certainly more prevalent in SoCal (LA) than northern CA for the most part (besides parts of the bigger cities like SF)

Why do you care what women are wearing? Maybe ask the next one you see and see what she says lol.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:49 PM

288 posts, read 345,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you from SoCal? Because NorCal natives are usually very low key. I've never heard of that "hey, look at me" thing, except in LA.
I'm from Central California and you're right, in SoCal you'll definitely see more of that attention seeking mentality than up North. Unless it's something that I'm passionate about, I'm very much an introvert especially in a group setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Black stockings with business attire is the standard uniform, the fashion mags would have us believe. But with shorts? Never seen it. I'll be in Seattle next week, so I'll let you know if I see that around. Hard to believe, since the basic casual uniform in Seattle has always been hiking clothes--the Eddie Bauer look.
Yep, black stockings/leggings/nylons everywhere in this city, like this. Maybe not exactly like that, but there are a lot of women with nice legs Seattle, nicer than the link I just gave you.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:13 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Yep, black stockings/leggings/nylons everywhere in this city, like this. Maybe not exactly like that, but there are a lot of women with nice legs Seattle, nicer than the link I just gave you.
Interesting. That actually looks pretty nice. Someone's trying to dress up shorts. Maybe it's the new office wear?

Old 09-20-2015, 09:59 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,056,173 times
How wonderful that you've been in Asian heaven since moving here! You do know what year it is, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area