Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 01:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times

Advertisements

Uptown at Pier 70, mostly because it's close to work, but also really good. My real favorite is not available until you get to the southern part of the state around the I5 corridor, Oregon and far northern CA, Dutch Bros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 02:51 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,641,742 times
In recently years I've become a rather exclusive "short-drip-no-room... for here." sort of patron, but I think the drip at Lladro's completely and utterly sucks. I'll take a Shell gas station's automatic "cappuchino" machine over it. Kinda ironic since Issaquah Lladro's is my corner coffee shop -closer than any Starbucks even- and I can't even order my preferred beverage from it. Doesn't hinder me too much, however, as I'm there at least once or twice a week. I'll either do an americano or just an espresso, but if I'm feeling really fat in the wallet I'll order an expresso drink.

There are so many I haven't tried in Seattle, but I do like Caffe Fiore and El Diablo in Queen Anne. C & P in West Seattle, Verite Coffee in Madrona, Caffe Rococo in Kirkland (free hot cocoa for kids!), and SnoValley Coffee in Snoqualmie Ridge. Issaquah Coffee Company is a favorite of mine too (we like their cuban drinks).

Old 09-13-2015, 03:16 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,811,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
In recently years I've become a rather exclusive "short-drip-no-room... for here." sort of patron, but I think the drip at Lladro's completely and utterly sucks. I'll take a Shell gas station's automatic "cappuchino" machine over it. Kinda ironic since Issaquah Lladro's is my corner coffee shop -closer than any Starbucks even- and I can't even order my preferred beverage from it. Doesn't hinder me too much, however, as I'm there at least once or twice a week. I'll either do an americano or just an espresso, but if I'm feeling really fat in the wallet I'll order an expresso drink.

There are so many I haven't tried in Seattle, but I do like Caffe Fiore and El Diablo in Queen Anne. C & P in West Seattle, Verite Coffee in Madrona, Caffe Rococo in Kirkland (free hot cocoa for kids!), and SnoValley Coffee in Snoqualmie Ridge. Issaquah Coffee Company is a favorite of mine too (we like their cuban drinks).
If all you have tried is their QUeen Anne, Fremont and other low-grade blend coffees, then you are right they do suck and there is no way you can drink that type of coffee straight, as its over roasted and the beans are lower grade and

However, Caffe Ladro also hosts single origins and they are some of best tasting I have had in the Puget Sound. Of course, it is hit or miss and some of their coffees, being more natural in their processsing, could easily be a bit too acidic for the brew drip they serve.

Even though , Ladro's, generic blend coffees, as with almost every other coffee shop in Seattle, Zoka, Victrola, Herkimer, etc are really poor, their single origins are some of the best I have had. You really do need to find the right coffee and know what you are looking for.

Coffees like East African Fruity, Kenya Nyeri, e.g. are some of the best I have ever had. They are fruity/nutty flavors and are not overly acidic or over-roasted. I just bought a bag of the Costa Rican coffee they sold which had a very nice sweet blueberry flavor and practically reminded me of one of best Harar's I have ever drank. Very well balanced, sweet and juicy. They have two Costa Rican varieties, one is extremely sour and I can hardly drink it and the other is the one I bought and is lovely, mellow, sweet and screams of blueberry.

I agree that Ladro is very hit or miss. The fact that it is my favorite coffeeshop in Seattle speaks about how poorly I view most of Seattle's coffeeshops and roasters. I've walked into Ladro many times where it was hard to drink the sour coffee on drip, yet if I brewed it in a chemex at home, the coffee would come out quite nicely. Many times they will have their drip sitting for hours and it gets oxidized and rancid, as well.

Ladro's espressos I feel are better than any other I have had in the area, but I am far from an espresso drink expert. Lattes, Mocha, Cappuccino's are not my daily drink. I just know a majority of places i get mochas from in Seattle end up tasting very watery and underwhelming.

The only consistently good roaster I hvae had in Seattle is Kuma and Velton's , both which are rare to find being served in any of Seattle's coffeshops.

My views on Seattle's biggest names in coffee:
1. Cafe Vita (Too Acidic/Too Roasted or Rancid, it's usually one or the other with vita coffee.)
2. Victrola (Horribly Sour, but some expensive single origins can be decent. Victrola, like Ladro, produces some really amazing and some really crappy coffees.)
3. Cafe d'Arte (Espresso Drinks Only, you will puke if you try to drink the stuff in drip)
4. Zoka (Horribly Over-Roasted/Low-Grade Beans for Drip Blends, Single Origins are Decent, but Way Overpriced)
5. Stumptown (Aka Sour-Town.. The King of the Sour, This is Portland based coffeeshop and does suffer the Portland Sour Syndrome. It seems that aging process is overlooked with Stumptown and many other Portland roasters. On another note, Stumptown does produce an amazing coffee now and again, such as Costa Rican Mont d'Oro)
6. Fuel Coffee (Yuck, Just Yuck, If I want burned coffee, Starbucks is always nearby.. I think Vita roasts for Fuel, if I remember correct, and its the worst grade Vita coffee I have ever tried.)
7. Uptown Espresso (Undrinkable coffee, bland espresso drinks)
8. Lighthouse Coffee (Very underwhelming coffees, often over-roasted and stale flavored)
9. Tony's (One of the worst tasting coffees I was so honored to be forced to drink while living near Bellingham. This is Bellingham based and, as with most Bellingham roasters, they put emphasis on roasting, as if burnt beans means more flavor. For some reason Tony's is so popular in Seattle!)
10. Cafe Umbria (Have only tried the coffee once, but what I had was pretty horrible. Typical over-roasted, over-hyped and worst of all, overpriced Seattle coffee. The ambiance of the coffeeshop was interesting. You are paying for a nice ambiance, not nice coffee.)

Getting high quality artisinal coffee in Seattle is a real chore and so many people are in the coffee game and cater to a crowd of people who are concerned more with fancy sugared drinks versus appreciating a high quality, carefully crafted and processed, micro-roasted coffee.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 09-13-2015 at 04:44 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 04:52 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,641,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post

The only consistently good roaster I hvae had in Seattle is Kuma and Velton's , both which are rare to find being served in any of Seattle's coffeshops.
Kuma coffee.... I'm, like, 99% sure this is the coffee I buy bulk at PCC. I think they offer 3-4 different types and I buy one that's regular and one that's decaf and I combine the beans at home (I've had increased sensitivity to caffeine over the last 5 years or so). Honestly, I pretty much prefer this drip blend at home to almost anything and I mostly go to coffee shops because they offer a more affordable and relaxed outing than eating out.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:16 PM

65 posts, read 96,877 times
[quote=RotseCherut;41183048]I had some of that Seven Roaster (Makeda Coffeeshop) coffee and it was horribly burned and rancid tasting.. But, those were the beans sold at Ken's Market. Maybe, I shouldn't axe this small little local roaster yet..

Overall, I am pretty disappointed with the coffee in Seattle and feel the quality is subpar and even some of the long time roasters I use to like are going downhill.

1. Caffe Ladro (Great roaster and atmosphere is good enough, plenty of outlets for laptop people. A word of warning about Ladro, blend coffees are low grade and over-roasted and some single origin roasts can be over-ripe, wee bit too soured. Most coffees are decent enough to drink and some are exceptionally mind-blowing. Ladro also is the most spread out high quality coffeeshop in the Puget Sound, from Edmonds down to Issaquah, there are Ladros. Thank G-d!)

3. Zoka (Serves Decent, BUT VERY OVERPRICED Single Origins To Order, THe Drip is Crap.. Zoka coffee in University Village has a nice atmosphere and is open late.. A good place if you want to work and be alone, a lot of UW students there. The Starbucks near by is overcrowded and where most of the crowds go and has a fraction the seating, plus horrible coffee .)

4. Milstead & Co (I hate going to this place, but if you do want a decent cup (or sometimes outstanding cup) of coffee and are willing to pay more for it, you will find the best selection of overpriced coffees here. Remember, here you pay for selection, not just quality! Hit or miss. Be warned, the cups of coffee at Milstead can range anywhere from like $4 to $30+/cup. Many consider Milstead to be Seattle's hippest coffeeshop.. YMMV)

5. Seattle Coffee Works/Ballard Coffee WOrks (One of Seattle's most reknown local roasters. This is one of the few large coffeeshops located right in Pike Place Market or another in the center of Ballard. Their consistency for beans can vary. A lot of the coffee they have is overly ripened, naturally processed and really sour and bad. However, they also have some very high quality stuff, but it is hit or miss. If you go, order one of the single origins from the coffee bar. Everything is French Pressed on the drip and usually way too sour to drink black.)

***Such a GREAT post from RotseCheru!!***

I highlight the statements I'm extremely familiar with. Very few people would dare say this, but it's so true.

Even though I live in Seattle, my go-to bi-monthly subscription continues to be from 'Heart Coffee Roasters' based in Portland. Heart is usually consistent and they NEVER roast medium/dark or 'Natural' style coffee's.

There are some mighty fine coffee beans to be had in Seattle. The problem is roast consistency while prices continue to climb (sizes are shrinking too from 16 oz to 12 oz to some 8 oz bags.)

Milstead is good, but gawd I wish they would set the Aeropress aside on occasion. Especially at their prices!

The whole Slate theatrical presentation got old real quick.

A few Victrola Baristas as of late appear to really hate their jobs.

I'm also noticing a few coffee shops beginning to offer 3-4 naturals and maybe one washed coffee. Maybe this is simply my dislike for naturals (well, usually lol)

I agree with most of the blends lately. It just seems like roasters are throwing together low quality/cost beans and putting it out there for the public. Zoka should be ashamed of themselves as should Tony's Coffee. If you insist on Zoka, head over to Kens Market in Greenwood and/or Freemont to grab a $1 fill in your own mug/cup. A $1 is exactly what should be charged for these blends.

Please stay away from Allegro inside Whole Foods. Hell, pay a couple dollars extra and grab some Kuma off the shelf. Same goes with Tom's Coffee beans which are terrible (possibly roasted by Allegro).

I've had some good coffee at Herkimier in Greenwood. Sometimes, their drip blend just ain't right.

*SECRET* Lots of coffee shops will offer a single origin drip besides their blends. Be sure to ask for a single origin drip, even though it will usually be coffee beans close to their 7-10 day expiration date. Still, these beans will usually produce a pretty good cup vs a blend.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:54 PM

65 posts, read 96,877 times
Wow RotseCherut, I just noticed your last post. Seems like I've finally found someone in Seattle that has/is experiencing what I have.

I live in Greenwood, thus frequent Neptune. As you probably know, they rotate in a few roasters including Velton and Kuma, which are regulars on the menu. Still, its possible that the Barista can mess up these beans before they hit your mouth. But knock on wood......I've had pretty good luck at Neptune.

BTW: Sweet Bloom Coffee Roasters out of Denver area is really on point. I have visited their shop outside Denver and was really happy to see Neptune carry and serve their beans.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:34 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,811,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJYoung View Post
Wow RotseCherut, I just noticed your last post. Seems like I've finally found someone in Seattle that has/is experiencing what I have.

I live in Greenwood, thus frequent Neptune. As you probably know, they rotate in a few roasters including Velton and Kuma, which are regulars on the menu. Still, its possible that the Barista can mess up these beans before they hit your mouth. But knock on wood......I've had pretty good luck at Neptune.

BTW: Sweet Bloom Coffee Roasters out of Denver area is really on point. I have visited their shop outside Denver and was really happy to see Neptune carry and serve their beans.
I'm glad someone else here can appreciate what I am sayign and not get emotional of me just trashing Seattle's "over-hyped" coffee scene.

I do know Neptune Coffee very well and use to go there all the time, as they did serve my favorite coffee. However, I always didn't like the small , uncomfortable chairs they had in there and I would go to the coffeeshop to do my work, in addition to drink coffee. Also, they would only serve the Mexican Nayarita (spelling?) coffee on drip and it got old after a while and the pour-overs were expensive. However, some of the best coffee I had in Seattle was at Neptune. I will definitely have to make my way over there again, I just wish they would get some more comfortable seating.

I will have to look into the roaster you said.. It seems the Midwest is really starting to emerge as one of the best micro-roasting coffee scenes out there. Some of the best coffee I have had now is coming from the Midwest. I'm originally from Portland, but lived there before the coffee scene exploded. However, I have come back to visit and have been to the Heart coffee roasters. I do enjoy most of their coffee, although some does suffer from the sourness I have discussed. But, I do believe Heart is overall, an excellent roaster and have purchased their beans in the past. Their stuff, does well in my CHemex, being more on the tart side. At least the coffees I have purchased from them.

There is another coffee roaster with raving reviews I have been meaning to try, but haven't been able to, since it is right in Pioneer Place and I never get down there, due to horrible parkign situation. The name of the place is Elm Coffee roasters. I am hoping to try them soon and hope they can live up to their reputation.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:30 PM

233 posts, read 249,801 times
Wow...some serious coffee people here. I feel like a complete nincompoop going to Starbucks now.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:57 PM

8,165 posts, read 8,251,615 times
I just backpacked Ethiopia solo for one month this past January and passed through Bonga, the town where ALL coffee in the world is believed to have originated. It was a pretty amazing experience for a coffee drinker. Anybody know the story of Kaldi and the dancing goats and the origin of coffee? It was repeated to me many times in my month in Ethiopia, I was invited to many informal coffee ceremonies as I traveled the country by local buses and on foot.

One of the neatest ways around here to drink coffee is to get to know people at one of our many Ethiopian restaurants in Seattle. I have been going to Assimba for 20 years, near the corner of MLK Way and Cherry in the Central District. We have the third largest Ethiopian community in the country, there are probably 25 Ethiopian restaurants around town.

If you go into the restaurant about 2PM, after the lunch crowd has slowed, you will see Ethiopian people sitting around, visiting with each other, sipping very delicious coffee and having tasty food. If you get to know them, they will ask you to join them. The people, and the coffee, are delightful. The preparation and ritual look the same in Ethiopia and here, here is a cool link to the way they prepare it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZwmIsdE7z4

Last edited by homesinseattle; 09-15-2015 at 05:55 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 06:01 PM

64 posts, read 64,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I just backpacked Ethiopia solo for one month this past January and passed through Bonga, the town where ALL coffee in the world is believed to have originated. It was a pretty amazing experience for a coffee drinker. Anybody know the story of Kaldi and the dancing goats and the origin of coffee? It was repeated to me many times in my month in Ethiopia, I was invited to many informal coffee ceremonies as I traveled the country by local buses and on foot.

One of the neatest ways around here to drink coffee is to get to know people at one of our many Ethiopian restaurants in Seattle. I have been going to Assimba for 20 years, near the corner of MLK Way and Cherry in the Central District. We have the third largest Ethiopian community in the country, there are probably 25 Ethiopian restaurants around town.

If you go into the restaurant about 2PM, after the lunch crowd has slowed, you will see Ethiopian people sitting around, visiting with each other, sipping very delicious coffee and having tasty food. If you get to know them, they will ask you to join them. The people, and the coffee, are delightful. The preparation and ritual look the same in Ethiopia and here, here is a cool link to the way they prepare it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZwmIsdE7z4
I have had coffee brewed in this fashion. Not in Ethiopia but in Israel. It was an awesome experience and delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area