Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:03 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhpeter View Post
I have had coffee brewed in this fashion. Not in Ethiopia but in Israel. It was an awesome experience and delicious.
The drinking of coffee dates back 1000s of years in Israel as well, since it was introduced, probably by Bedouins or other Southern Nomadic tribes. One of the most famous Jewish folk songs is called Ha Finjan, which means the coffee pot.. Finjan is actually an Arabic name for the type of coffee pot used by both Jewish and Arabic people in the Middle East throughout the millenniums.

Some claim Ethiopia is the oldest origin of coffee, but there are other claims that some of the first coffee crops may have, in fact, originated in Yemen. Yemen, as with Ethiopia hosts some of the oldest coffee varieties on the Earth and are within close proximity of each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 06:04 PM

64 posts, read 64,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
The drinking of coffee dates back 1000s of years in Israel as well, since it was introduced, probably by Bedouins or other Southern Nomadic tribes. One of the most famous Jewish folk songs is called Ha Finjan, which means the coffee pot.. Finjan is actually an Arabic name for the type of coffee pot used by both Jewish and Arabic people in the Middle East throughout the millenniums.

Some claim Ethiopia is the oldest origin of coffee, but there are other claims that some of the first coffee crops may have, in fact, originated in Yemen. Yemen, as with Ethiopia hosts some of the oldest coffee varieties on the Earth and are within close proximity of each other.
It was actually with the Bedouins. The name escaped me at the time. Food was great, coffee, the whole experience was i think my favorite of my time in Israel (only 10 days).

Old 09-15-2015, 06:05 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Rotse, forgot to wish you "L'shanah Tovah!" I'm 1/4 Jewish so I can legally do that . Truly though people, go experience the Ethiopian coffee culture in Seattle. It puts Starbucks to shame.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:22 PM

64 posts, read 64,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Rotse, forgot to wish you "L'shanah Tovah!" I'm 1/4 Jewish so I can legally do that . Truly though people, go experience the Ethiopian coffee culture in Seattle. It puts Starbucks to shame.

Indeed L'shanah Tovah!

Old 09-15-2015, 06:32 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Quote:
Rotse, forgot to wish you "L'shanah Tovah!" I'm 1/4 Jewish so I can legally do that .
HomesInSeattle, anybody can say Shana Tova.. To us it is a New Year for everyone..

Shana Tova (A Happy New Year) to all of you!!

DHPeter, I am happy you had a nice trip there.. My mother and brother also enjoyed their time drinking coffee with the Bedouins when they visited Israel. I have a Bedouin in Seattle who makes me some of his special tea.. It's not the most traditional experience, but still enjoyable. I've yet to try the Bedouin coffee. It's a different style than what a Seattle drinker would be accustomed to, but I sure I would enjoy it, as I enjoy the Turkish and Arabic style coffees I have had.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:47 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
I live between Woodinville and Duvall. Good coffee is a long drive

Old 09-16-2015, 01:22 PM

233 posts, read 250,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
I live between Woodinville and Duvall. Good coffee is a long drive
If it seriously is that important that you need specialized beans or coffee...why not just invest in a home espresso machine and be done with it? Or is that too expensive?

Old 09-16-2015, 01:26 PM

Rotse and dhpeter, the story of the lost Jewish tribe in Ethiopia is amazing, you know it? When I was on this walkabout this past January, I visited Axum, in the northern Tigray region. Architecturally, it has "stellae", some of the oldest monuments in the country, dating back to year 100. It is interesting to see how the pagan markings became Christian between the years 300-400. Ethiopia, as you probably know, has a very ancient form of Orthodox Christianity, rituals that haven't changed in 1000 years.

Another thing that was fascinating. I guess Axum and Northern Ethiopia were one of the most prosperous hubs in the world for trade during this time, dealing in slaves, elephants and yes, COFFEE. See, I tied it back to the thread . Anyway, the Queen of Sheba is believed to have lived near Axum. They certainly had many connections to Jerusalem, evidenced by materials used in construction and the actual existence of Jews in Ethiopia.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
And every Ethiopian grocery in Seattle sells unroasted green coffee beans! It makes me so happy that I can get good Sidamo beans locally. I'm thankful that Seattle has a large Ethiopian community.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:00 PM

For you Ethiopia and coffee lovers, here's a little 4 part blog I wrote of my solo walkabout this past January there and in a country no one has ever heard of, Somaliland. Full disclosure, I'm not a writer, this is more a journal on 'roids.

Part 1: Tigray to Gabela, Climbing Ancient Cliffs in Goathide Harnesses, Sleeping Next to a Bubbling Lava Lake and the Hottest Place on Earth: Vinceinseattle's Travel Blog: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - January 27, 2015

Part 2: The Wild West of Ethiopia, Near South Sudan and Tribal Areas in West Omo: Vinceinseattle's Travel Blog: Gambela, Ethiopia - January 5, 2015

Part 3: Only a Crazy Man Would go to Somaliland?: Vinceinseattle's Travel Blog: Berbera, Somalia - March 16, 2015

Part 4: Magical Timkat Festival 2015 in Lalibela: Vinceinseattle's Travel Blog: Lalibela, Ethiopia - January 15, 2015
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area